Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perseids a wash-out here :grumpy:

1. Aug 12, 2005 #1

turbo

Gold Member

Perseids a wash-out here.... :grumpy:

I had hoped to see a nice shower last night - first August in a new house out in the country with DARK skies. Instead I got very bright aurorae, and the rest of the weekend is supposed to be mostly cloudy. How was this year's peak? Did anybody here record high counts?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2005 #2
    It was a wash-out here in NW Arkansas. Between 3:00 and 3:30, I only saw 2 against a fairly dark sky.

4. Aug 12, 2005 #3
    way too overcast here too :cry: I demand a refund!

5. Aug 12, 2005 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I'm in central Maine in a dark location. Years ago, I was setting up my JSO 5" SCT up and as I was looking down to tighten the wingnuts on the accessory tray, when I saw a shadow of the tripod sweeping across the ground. I looked up in time to see a bright bolide explode into pieces, then the pieces split again and again, like fireworks. It was brilliant and ruined my night vision. As my eyes returned to normal, I saw a bright cloud where the bolide had passed (exactly opposite the expected retina-burn effect!). As I watched this ionized contrail slowly drifted to the east and faded over a period of minutes. I keep hoping to get another Perseid like that.... All I got last night was northern lights - blah!

6. Aug 12, 2005 #5
    cloudy overcast skies here in WA won't be seeing crap

7. Aug 12, 2005 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I haven't seen the night-sky in weeks. Cloudy, cloudy with T-storms, mostly cloudy, hazy, etc, etc, etc.

8. Aug 12, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I saw a dark dark night last night.

Unfortunately i was driving down through the mountains with no street lights so looking outside for more then .005 seconds meant certain death.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?