Perseids a wash-out here :grumpy:

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
turbo
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Perseids a wash-out here.... :grumpy:

I had hoped to see a nice shower last night - first August in a new house out in the country with DARK skies. Instead I got very bright aurorae, and the rest of the weekend is supposed to be mostly cloudy. How was this year's peak? Did anybody here record high counts?

Answers and Replies

It was a wash-out here in NW Arkansas. Between 3:00 and 3:30, I only saw 2 against a fairly dark sky.

way too overcast here too :cry: I demand a refund!

turbo
Gold Member
I'm in central Maine in a dark location. Years ago, I was setting up my JSO 5" SCT up and as I was looking down to tighten the wingnuts on the accessory tray, when I saw a shadow of the tripod sweeping across the ground. I looked up in time to see a bright bolide explode into pieces, then the pieces split again and again, like fireworks. It was brilliant and ruined my night vision. As my eyes returned to normal, I saw a bright cloud where the bolide had passed (exactly opposite the expected retina-burn effect!). As I watched this ionized contrail slowly drifted to the east and faded over a period of minutes. I keep hoping to get another Perseid like that.... All I got last night was northern lights - blah!

vincentm
Gold Member
cloudy overcast skies here in WA won't be seeing crap

russ_watters
Mentor
I haven't seen the night-sky in weeks. Cloudy, cloudy with T-storms, mostly cloudy, hazy, etc, etc, etc.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
I saw a dark dark night last night.

Unfortunately i was driving down through the mountains with no street lights so looking outside for more then .005 seconds meant certain death.