Calculate Persistence Current with Probability & Charge Density

• Thread starter shomey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the current in a one dimensional loop can be calculated by multiplying the probability current and charge density. However, this may not be applicable in all cases and more information is needed to explore the time variation of the current or its relation to quantum theory.
shomey
Can I calculate persistence current by multipling the (probabilty current)x(charge density)?
It sounds a little strage but this is the only thing in my mind...

Physics news on Phys.org
let me rephrase myself...
I have an electron circulating a one dimensional loop, and i want to caluclate the current.
may i do this by calculating (probability current)*(charge density) ?

From a classical perspective, the current is the amount of charge that passes a given point in a wire per unit time. It does not matter if it is the same charge passing the same point over and over again, and it does not matter if the charge is really in a wire, or confined to a loop by another force such as a magnetic field.

If you are trying to do something more detailed, like exploring the time variation of the current at some point, or relating current to some quantum theoretical desctiption of the charge motion, then I think you need to expand your question to include the context.

1. What is Persistence Current?

Persistence current, also known as persistent current, is a phenomenon in which electrons continue to flow in a closed loop circuit even after the external power source has been removed. This occurs due to the quantum mechanical effect of electron spin and can be observed in superconductors, quantum rings, and other systems.

2. How is Persistence Current calculated?

Persistence current can be calculated using the formula I = (n*e*f*h)/2m, where I is the persistence current, n is the number of electrons, e is the charge of an electron, f is the frequency, and h and m are Planck's constant and the mass of the electron, respectively. This formula takes into account the relationship between electron spin, frequency, and mass.

3. What is the relationship between Persistence Current and Probability?

The probability of persistence current is directly related to the probability of finding an electron in a specific energy state. This probability is determined by the quantum mechanical wave function of the system and can be manipulated by changing the parameters of the system, such as temperature or magnetic field strength.

4. How does Charge Density affect Persistence Current?

Charge density, or the amount of charge per unit volume, plays a significant role in determining the strength of the persistence current. Higher charge densities result in stronger persistence currents, as there are more electrons available to participate in the current. This relationship is also influenced by the size and geometry of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating Persistence Current?

Persistence current has several real-world applications, particularly in the field of quantum computing. It is used in the design and development of superconducting quantum interference devices (SQUIDs), which are sensitive magnetometers used in various industries, including medical imaging and mineral exploration. Persistence current is also being studied for its potential use in energy storage and transmission systems.