Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Persistence of vision

1. Jan 1, 2005 #1
    I know it is used to refer to the property of brain/eye that it takes them one-tenth of a second to process a new image after processing one but I just cant figure out how does a movie camera takes advantage of it and fool our brain so that it thinks that its waching a smooth motion though i know that most of them change 24 images a second. I've tried google but coundnt find anything convincing.
    Thanks in advance for any help. :smile:
    Abdullah

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A film projector flashes images at about 30 frames per sec. So each frame is on the screen for a period of time which is less then the persistence of the eye. Before 1 frame has faded a new one is present. Thus you get the feeling of smooth motion.

4. Jan 1, 2005 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

This only works well under dark light, with your pupils dialated and your retina getting just enough over-saturation that the persistance increases.

Under bright light, you can see 60hz flicker on a monitor, but part of this is that the persitance of the monitor is set for faster refresh rates.

5. Jan 1, 2005 #4
    here is a neat page with a simple explanation and demonstrative animations:
    http://www.privatelessons.net/2d/sample/m01_03.html

however, it seems that the persistence of vision 'theory' may not be correct at all according to research done in the 1980s and that it is really a psychological phenomenon. here is a rather interesting (and surprising - to me at any rate) article on that matter:

it has in fact long been determined that the so-called 'persistence of vision' is also probably irrelevant to the effect of (1), a continuous, flickerless image.
    PERSISTENCE OF VISION by Stephen Herbert
    http://www.grand-illusions.com/percept.htm

it would seem that the commonly propagated explanation of illusion, may itself be an illusion!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  6. Jan 2, 2005 #5
    Given that the brain takes at least 50mS to process data and somtimes never it's hardly surprising that persistence should be more complex than retina saturation , it is often the case that what you remember is totally different from reallity --- so I guess you can say that everbodies movie is probably different antway.
    Ray.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?