1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Persistence of vision

1. Jan 1, 2005 #1
    I know it is used to refer to the property of brain/eye that it takes them one-tenth of a second to process a new image after processing one but I just cant figure out how does a movie camera takes advantage of it and fool our brain so that it thinks that its waching a smooth motion though i know that most of them change 24 images a second. I've tried google but coundnt find anything convincing.
    Thanks in advance for any help. :smile:
    Abdullah

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A film projector flashes images at about 30 frames per sec. So each frame is on the screen for a period of time which is less then the persistence of the eye. Before 1 frame has faded a new one is present. Thus you get the feeling of smooth motion.

4. Jan 1, 2005 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

This only works well under dark light, with your pupils dialated and your retina getting just enough over-saturation that the persistance increases.

Under bright light, you can see 60hz flicker on a monitor, but part of this is that the persitance of the monitor is set for faster refresh rates.

5. Jan 1, 2005 #4
    here is a neat page with a simple explanation and demonstrative animations:
    http://www.privatelessons.net/2d/sample/m01_03.html

however, it seems that the persistence of vision 'theory' may not be correct at all according to research done in the 1980s and that it is really a psychological phenomenon. here is a rather interesting (and surprising - to me at any rate) article on that matter:

it has in fact long been determined that the so-called 'persistence of vision' is also probably irrelevant to the effect of (1), a continuous, flickerless image.
    PERSISTENCE OF VISION by Stephen Herbert
    http://www.grand-illusions.com/percept.htm

it would seem that the commonly propagated explanation of illusion, may itself be an illusion!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  6. Jan 2, 2005 #5
    Given that the brain takes at least 50mS to process data and somtimes never it's hardly surprising that persistence should be more complex than retina saturation , it is often the case that what you remember is totally different from reallity --- so I guess you can say that everbodies movie is probably different antway.
    Ray.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?