Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Person pulling a block physics

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A person pulls on a block with a force F, at an angle theta with respect to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the block and the ground is mu. For what theta is the F required to make the block slip a minimum.

2. Relevant equations

Net force equations for static objects

3. The attempt at a solution

So I'm pretty sure I've got all of my equations right, but I'm having trouble simplifying my results further.
    [tex]Ff=\mu N[/tex] when the box slips and [tex]N=Mg-Fsin\theta[/tex] Substitution gives [tex]\mu\left(Mg-Fsin\theta\right)=Fcos\theta[/tex] I don't know how to solve for theta.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2010 #2
    For theta for minimum F, write F as an explicit function of theta and differentiate w.r.t theta. Put it equal to zero(the calculus concept of maxima and minima).

4. Jan 21, 2010 #3
    But I'm not trying to find the minimum F, I'm trying to find the minimum theta.

5. Jan 21, 2010 #4
    Ok I think I have it now. I maximize the denominator in [tex]F=\frac{\mu Mg}{cos\theta+\mu sin\theta}[/tex] so the derivative is [tex]\mu cos\theta-sin\theta=0[/tex] So [tex]tan\theta=\mu[/tex]

6. Jan 22, 2010 #5
    As an afterthought, don't you think the minimum theta is zero?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook