Calculating Forces on a Motorcycle Riding in a Transparent Sphere

• Thread starter solarcat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motorcycle
In summary: The only force acting in that direction is the force of friction, which acts to oppose slipping and maintain constant speed. In summary, a person is riding a motorcycle in a hollow, transparent plastic sphere in a horizontal circle with a radius of 13 m, a mass of 40 kg, and a speed of 15 m/s. The minimum coefficient of static friction for the tires to not slip is needed to maintain the circular motion. The total force exerted by the motorcycle on the rider can be found by considering the centripetal acceleration and the forces acting on the motorcycle, such as weight, normal force, and friction. The direction of friction is determined by considering the direction of slipping and the direction of motion.
solarcat

Homework Statement

A person is riding a motorcycle in a hollow, transparent plastic sphere in a horizontal circle. The radius is 13 m, the mass of the motorcycle is 40 kg, and the mass of the person is 70 kg. The speed is 15 m/s.
a) What is the minimum coefficient of static friction for the tires to not slip?
b) What total force does the motorcycle exert on the rider?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I thought there would be a force of weight pulling the motorcycle down, a normal force of the sphere on the motorcycle, and a force of friction perpendicular to the normal force/opposite the direction of motion. In this case, wouldn't the normal force be equal to mv^2/r? But then how does this tell you when the tires will slip?

Then I was looking at some diagrams of cars traveling in circles, and the diagram showed the friction force going to the center/perpendicular to the direction of motion. If this is the case, then wouldn't mv^2/r be equal to the sum of the normal force and the friction force? But then how do you know what the normal force even is?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume there is also an assumption that this occurs along the equator of the sphere?

The friction force along the direction of motion is only necessary of you want to accelerate. This is a motion with constant velocity. I suggest you draw a free body diagram and compare with the total force necessary to keep moving on the horizontal circle.

So I think the free body diagram would be something like this...
And you would set up the equations
N( 1 +us) = mv^2/r
N(1+us) = (110 kg) (15 m/s)^2 / (13 m) = 1904 N
But I have two unknowns so I'm not sure how to solve it. Also, the second part seems to imply that I should find the normal force which means it shouldn't be needed for the first part.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 2.37.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 2.37.53 PM.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 302
solarcat said:
perpendicular to the normal force/opposite the direction of motion.
Friction opposes relative motion of surfaces in contact. In rolling contact, you have to think in which direction slipping would occur without friction; the frictional force acts to oppose that.
solarcat said:
wouldn't the normal force be equal to mv^2/r?
mv2/r is the centripetal acceleration. Since the speed is constant that is the total acceleration and results from the net force: ΣF=ma. You listed all the forces.

Likes solarcat
haruspex said:
Friction opposes relative motion of surfaces in contact. In rolling contact, you have to think in which direction slipping would occur without friction; the frictional force acts to oppose that.

I think you're asking to determine the direction of slip first so you can then determine the direction of friction. But if the wheels do slip, then the motorcycle won't move, so then doesn't mean there's no acceleration and therefore no force?

solarcat said:
But if the wheels do slip, then the motorcycle won't move
This is incorrect. Again, draw the free body diagram.

Note that there is no force in the direction of travel. That would lead to an increase in speed.

1. What safety gear should a person riding a motorcycle wear?

It is important for a person riding a motorcycle to wear a helmet, eye protection, gloves, a jacket, long pants, and boots that cover the ankles. These items help protect against injuries in the event of an accident.

2. How do you maintain balance while riding a motorcycle?

Maintaining balance on a motorcycle requires proper body positioning and weight distribution. It is important to keep your eyes up and look ahead, keep your arms and shoulders relaxed, and use your legs to grip the motorcycle.

3. What should I do if I am in a motorcycle accident?

If you are in a motorcycle accident, the first priority is to make sure you are safe and seek medical attention if needed. Then, you should contact the authorities and exchange information with the other parties involved. It is important to also document the scene and contact your insurance company.

4. How often should a motorcycle be serviced?

Motorcycles should be serviced regularly, typically every 3,000-5,000 miles or according to the manufacturer's recommendations. This includes checking and changing the oil, inspecting the tires, brakes, and lights, and performing any necessary maintenance or repairs.

5. What is the best way to navigate through traffic on a motorcycle?

When navigating through traffic on a motorcycle, it is important to stay alert, maintain a safe speed, and always follow traffic laws. Use hand signals to communicate with other drivers and be aware of blind spots. It may also be helpful to take a motorcycle safety course to improve your skills and knowledge of safe riding techniques.