Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Personal draft section

1. Jan 3, 2016 #1
    Hi all.
    Sometimes I have a few questions in my head I like to post at some point but which at the moment aren't completely ready. It would be nice if we had some personal draft section where I could write down my question and do updates and so on before releasing it for the general public. (This would also make it easier for me to spot tex errors and spelling and all that). I tried starting a conversation with my self but apparently that was not allowed.

Happy New Year!

This other thread mentions drafts https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-do-i-get-my-saved-draft-back.788315/ but apparently it does not work that well.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2016 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Write it offline and save it in a text file using e.g. Notepad under Windows, or TextEdit on a Mac. When you want to preview it to debug your LaTeX or whatever, act as if you're starting a thread or a reply, copy and paste the text into the editing window, and click the "preview" button. Don't click the "post" button unless you're really finished!

This is what I do when I write a long post with many equations.

4. Jan 4, 2016 #3

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Somewhat related: in the LaTeX Primer, it says:

The sandbox doesn't work anymore, any chance of getting that functionality back?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Jan 4, 2016 #4

Nugatory

There is a Latex sandbox just below the text box you type your new post into - look for the button that says "LATEX" to the left of "Post Reply"

6. Jan 4, 2016 #5

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So obvious that I didn't see it. Thanks.

7. Jan 17, 2016 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I noticed that today, the LaTeX sandbox is missing.

8. Jan 17, 2016 #7

Nugatory

Yep - went away in the latest redesign. There's some discussion in another thread in Feedback.

9. Jan 17, 2016 #8
    Preview does the same. As for drafting, you can write a bit in the editor and click the floppy disk icon and it will save and be loaded when you return. I forget how long it saves for though. Maybe a few days?

10. Jan 17, 2016 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right.

... and I did post in more detail there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook