Create a Personal Draft Section for Questions

• Thread starter Strum
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a personal draft section on the forum where users can write and save their posts before making them public. It is suggested to use offline tools like Notepad or TextEdit for drafting and to preview the post before posting it. However, the previously available LaTeX sandbox feature has been removed in the latest forum redesign, causing inconvenience to users.
Strum
Hi all.
Sometimes I have a few questions in my head I like to post at some point but which at the moment aren't completely ready. It would be nice if we had some personal draft section where I could write down my question and do updates and so on before releasing it for the general public. (This would also make it easier for me to spot tex errors and spelling and all that). I tried starting a conversation with my self but apparently that was not allowed.

Happy New Year!

This other thread mentions drafts https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-do-i-get-my-saved-draft-back.788315/ but apparently it does not work that well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write it offline and save it in a text file using e.g. Notepad under Windows, or TextEdit on a Mac. When you want to preview it to debug your LaTeX or whatever, act as if you're starting a thread or a reply, copy and paste the text into the editing window, and click the "preview" button. Don't click the "post" button unless you're really finished!

This is what I do when I write a long post with many equations.

Somewhat related: in the LaTeX Primer, it says:

If you wish to practice writing LaTeX or test some code, a sandbox is available https://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/test/preview.html [Broken]. Please do not create threads just to practice LaTeX.
The sandbox doesn't work anymore, any chance of getting that functionality back?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a Latex sandbox just below the text box you type your new post into - look for the button that says "LATEX" to the left of "Post Reply"

Likes Samy_A
Nugatory said:
There is a Latex sandbox just below the text box you type your new post into - look for the button that says "LATEX" to the left of "Post Reply"
So obvious that I didn't see it. Thanks.

Nugatory said:
I noticed that today, the LaTeX sandbox is missing.

SammyS said:
Yep - went away in the latest redesign. There's some discussion in another thread in Feedback.

SammyS said:
Preview does the same. As for drafting, you can write a bit in the editor and click the floppy disk icon and it will save and be loaded when you return. I forget how long it saves for though. Maybe a few days?

Nugatory said:
Yep - went away in the latest redesign. There's some discussion in another thread in Feedback.
Right.

... and I did post in more detail there.

SammyS said:
The LaTeX sandbox did have more functionality than merely doing previews.

1. How do I create a personal draft section for questions?

To create a personal draft section for questions, you can use a notebook or a digital document like a Word document or Google Doc. Start by labeling the section as "Draft Questions" or something similar. Then, write down your questions in a clear and organized manner.

2. Why is it important to have a personal draft section for questions?

Having a personal draft section for questions allows you to keep track of your thoughts and ideas. It also helps you organize your questions and ensure that you don't forget any important ones. This section can serve as a reference for future research or experiments.

3. How should I format my personal draft section for questions?

The format of your personal draft section for questions will depend on your personal preference and the type of research you are conducting. However, it is important to have a clear and organized structure, such as using bullet points or numbering for each question, and leaving enough space for potential answers and notes.

4. Can I share my personal draft section for questions with others?

Yes, you can share your personal draft section for questions with others if you want to collaborate or get feedback. You can either share a physical copy or a digital copy with them. Just make sure to communicate clearly that it is a draft and may be subject to changes.

5. How often should I update my personal draft section for questions?

The frequency of updating your personal draft section for questions will depend on your research progress. It is recommended to update it after each research session or whenever new ideas or questions arise. This will help you keep track of your progress and ensure that all questions are addressed.