Could a Personal Helicopter Backpack Revolutionize Personal Transit?

• Thread starter plum
  • Start date
In summary, the idea of a backpack-powered helicopter is not practical due to the engines required, the fuel that would be needed, and the complications of the controls.
plum
This idea came to me in a most peculiar dream, and I was wondering if it would be possible:

Basically, it would be a backpack that you strap on with arms that come down (like a car seat) with controls at the ends. You start up the little engine in the backpack and mini helicopter blades extend up and outwards, just powerful enough to lift yourself and the engine. The retractable blades would mean you wouldn't have to tie up the contraption like a bike when entering buildings.

Is there an engine that could be powerful enough to do this (yet light enough to carry around?) If so, it could have tremendous implications for personal transit.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are a few problems with this idea.

1.) Counter-torque - in order to keep the passenger from spinning opposite the rotor, the machine would need two counter-rotating sets of rotorblades. The gearing to do this would make the vehicle bulkier and heavier (thus being less practical and requiring a larger engine)

2.) Weight - without doing a product survey, I'm going to say that there are engines with a high enough power-to-weight ratio to accomplish this, however I don't know if they'd be "light" enough to carry around all day (as you seem to indicate in your idea).

3.) Practicality - in reality, would you want any yay-hoo who could aford it flying overhead? Personally, I wouldn't. There are some people I don't even think should have DRIVER's licenses.

A good idea, but one that has already been thought of and deemed impractical. Nonetheless, keep up the brainstorming.

Cheers...

Thought you might find this to be of some interest.

To an extent, it has been attempted, just not in the small scale you are referring.

http://www.richguy.com/luxury/lifestyle/magazine.php?car=AIR&id=SoloTrek+XFV&aid=55&page=1

The company's website is defunct as much as I can tell, so I have a feeling that they have lost funding for it.

The big issues I see are the following:

1) Engines: Reciprocating engines are not so good when it comes to power to weight ratio. They are heavy for the amount of power they put out. That is why most helicopters today use turboshaft turbines.

2) Fuel. Fuel is heavy. You'd probably loose any lifting advantages by going small when you add the weight of the fuel.

3) Heat/safety. Engines are heat producers. I don't think you'd want something that hot on your back with just a backpack in between you.

4) Complexity. Rotary wing controls are very intricate and complicated. I don't see how you'd be able to make the connecting components small enough and compact to be able to make it so a person could carry it. Plus, like Lunchbox mentioned, you would have to have tandem rotors to alleviate counter torque issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like a great way to get a marine haircut from the neck up.
No... can't say I would like a blade whoop whooping just above the old grey matter.

Last edited:

1. What is a Personal Exteriorless 'Copter?

A Personal Exteriorless 'Copter is a type of aircraft that is designed to be used by a single person for personal transportation. It is similar to a helicopter in that it is capable of vertical takeoff and landing, but it does not have an exterior body or shell. Instead, the person is strapped into a harness and controls the vehicle using hand and foot controls.

2. How does a Personal Exteriorless 'Copter work?

A Personal Exteriorless 'Copter uses a series of rotors and propellers to provide lift and thrust. The rotors are positioned around the harness and are controlled by the person using hand and foot controls. It also has a guidance system that allows for stability and control during flight.

3. What are the benefits of using a Personal Exteriorless 'Copter?

There are several potential benefits of using a Personal Exteriorless 'Copter. It can provide a more efficient and convenient mode of transportation, as it does not require a runway or landing strip like traditional aircraft. It also has the potential to be more environmentally friendly, as it does not produce emissions like traditional vehicles.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using a Personal Exteriorless 'Copter?

As with any aircraft, there are safety concerns that need to be addressed with a Personal Exteriorless 'Copter. Some potential risks include the possibility of mechanical failure, loss of control, and collisions with other aircraft or objects. However, with proper training and precautions, these risks can be minimized.

5. Is the technology for a Personal Exteriorless 'Copter currently available?

While there have been concept designs and prototypes created, the technology for a fully functional Personal Exteriorless 'Copter is not yet available. There are still many challenges that need to be addressed, such as safety, regulations, and infrastructure. However, with continued advancements in technology, it is possible that we may see these types of aircraft in the future.