1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Personal fable and reality

Tags:
  1. YES, all the time. I will unite all physics theories!

15 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Not really. I know I will never be the next Einstein.

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  3. Don't care.

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. Jan 16, 2007 #1
    "personal fable" and reality

there comes a point in life where one begins to think about life in a very serious way...

and this is exactly what is happening in my mind.

I have always wanted to do something great in my life. Amazed by many concepts and ingenuity in physics... I've decided that I wanted to be a physicist. Not just a physicist, but a GREAT physicist.

I always have a feeling that someday, I will make great discovery in the world of knowledge. I feel that I will the next noble prize winner someday....

However, I realize that the reality isn't that simple. Statistically speaking, there just can't be that many great people. My belief may simply be one of those adolescent psychology phenomenons. Yet, I still tend to believe in myself....

I need to understand the reality... how many people have always believed that one day, he/she will be the next Einstein or the next Euler? If you had had such thoughts, did you achieve your expectations and how does the thoughts change over time (as one gets older)?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2007 #2
    "You are all unique, you are all individuals!"
    "WE ARE ALL UNIQUE, WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!!"
    "I'm not."

By all means, believe in yourself... but don't get delusional about it. Your goal should be to make a real contribution, and believe me, that's rare enough.

4. Jan 17, 2007 #3
    5 years ago I thought I was going to be the next Einstein...

Now I've let go of my delusions, reality set in at some point :tongue: I'll be great at what I do, but highly doubt I'll achieve greatness in the respect you're talking about.

5. Jan 17, 2007 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Whenever I read a post or thread like this, I cringe.

Here are some facts for you to deal with:

1. It takes, on average, 4 years of undergraduate education and 5 1/2 years of graduate education for a person in the US to receive a Ph.D in physics

2. It takes an average of an addition 3 years of postdoctoral experience for a Ph.D to land a permanent job in academia/research line.

The point in all of this is that physics is a difficult area of study. In fact, it is too difficult for someone to do it for the wrong reason. You will get discourage very easily if you think you can do it for the "fame and glory". Most of us in this field are willing to go through the long and laborious process because we simply can't see ourselves doing anything else. We feel so connected to the subject area that we're willing to sacrifice huge chunks of our lives to pursue that. Adding to that is the fact that one doesn't get a paycheck that is commensurate with the amount of effort one has put in to get there. You'd make a lot more money, on average, being an engineer or other areas of study.

Again, if you do physics for the wrong reason, you'll get discouraged very easily. It is that difficult.

Zz.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  6. Jan 17, 2007 #5

J77

Agree with Zz.

Not to put the OP off their ambition but sometimes on threads like this - a like thread could be the mathematician's knowledge one on general math - I'd like to know the experience (age, education level, job etc.) of the poster.

7. Jan 17, 2007 #6
    You don't have to be the next Einstein to be great. Having the courage and determination to pursue and complete an education in a difficult field like physics, mathematics, engineering, etc., is a GREAT achievement in-and-of itself. Those who have done so have nothing but my highest respect.

8. Jan 17, 2007 #7
    Competition ....

There's always competition for that...
    There will be always be a person more powerful than you...
    and you get inferior for that...
    and will lead you to discouragement...
    and you will have no reason to live...
    that person will always put you down....

Based on experience...
    Got a mate who is about 5 times more diligent than me... and im still tryin to supass him with hardwork

And thats what you need ... competition... i know it sucks

9. Jan 17, 2007 #8

acm

Do it, then we will listen.

10. Jan 17, 2007 #9
    tim_lou,

What level are you at right now in your physics education?

11. Jan 17, 2007 #10
    I am a first year undergrad...

This post has nothing to do with whether or not I am sucessful, or whether I am discouraged. I simply want to know if my thinkings are common or not... and the reality behind what a person like me will ultimately become.

Either way, I will still love physics, I will still pursue a career goal as a physicist... I understand that one does not do physics for fame or glory, in fact I believe the primariy motivation behind physics is understanding the world. It just seems that there may be certain psychological changes occuring in my mind... and I want to see if others have the same experience.

12. Jan 17, 2007 #11
    after watching the American Idol (yeah yeah yeah, I watch it... It's not like a nerd can't watch american Idol)... I seem to realize that the American culture encourages this kind of thinking (thinking about how one can and will achieve greatness)...

just look at the huge number of people who believe they will be the next American Idol and got criticized and ridiculed....

13. Jan 17, 2007 #12
    I'm sure thoughts like that are VERY common. However, they usually come from people who haven't even finished their undergraduate work yet.

That being said, I wish you luck.

14. Jan 17, 2007 #13

J77

...but that "greatness" generally lasts for one week - then they fade into mediocrity, or at least they do on the UK show :biggrin:

15. Jan 17, 2007 #14
    eh, when you're in high school and at the top of your math classes and whatnot, it's easy to think that you're the next big thing

Once you get into university though, you find out that there are a lot of people just as smart and determined as you, school becomes a lot more challenging, and that's kind of a wake up call.

16. Jan 17, 2007 #15
    I shall one day describe the (macro/micro) cosmic, physical reality that we experience using only a single elegant equation -- how is that for ambition?

Here is the kicker:

My maths level is only officially up to Trigonometry since I didn't take Calculus in highschool (and my college doesn't offer you a chance to test out of trig), although, I am unofficially working through calculus on my own (which am I developing a sharp intuition for, I believe).

17. Jan 17, 2007 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a difference between high aspirations and fantasy. It can be fun to fantasize that someday you'll make the greatest discovery ever made and be rich and famous and maybe you'll even win the lottery and get to live in Disney World...*cough* :uhh: I digress. But, don't hang your sense of achievement, or motivation to choose your given field on it. Even those who have made major contributions to scientific understanding (i.e., something worthy of a Nobel prize) have had many, many, many failures along the way as well. Being able to pick yourself up from your failures and keep moving forward is what distinguishes someone who will be successful in research from someone who will burn out and change fields. If it still seems really easy, like you're just coasting along and know more than everyone else, you haven't learned enough yet to see where the challenges are....give it time...you'll meet them eventually, and then you'll understand what others here are saying.

18. Jan 17, 2007 #17
    I look forward to reaching the level where you are no longer working through problems that have been solved and rigorously proved and instead, are faced with problems in which the entire community can't even begin to figure out how to properly approach the problem, let alone solve it.

19. Jan 17, 2007 #18

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, but that day won't come. Even for the most gifted person on Earth.

20. Jan 17, 2007 #19
    :rofl: I've always loved physics but in Juinor high I qas convinced that I was the next einstein and that I would get the nobel prize for discovering perpetual motion and unifying gravity as the fifth dimension:rofl:

Looking back on my mr high days, its a wonder I even got through anything. Theres always that kind of bigheaded arrogance at some time. I WAS the next einstein in my mind

now i'm more down to earth. As long as I get something done, I'll be happy

21. Jan 17, 2007 #20
    I'm sure most of us have been delusional in this sense at some point. I believe I was, but can't quite remember when. However, now I can say that I would definitely not want to be such a person. Spending your entire life, 24-7, on one subject would probably bore the hell out of me. Personally I think there are more things in life than Physics, or Math, or [insert topic of interest].

And do you really want to marry your cousin? :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?