Personal hydroelectric power.

• Thread starter dustinbagley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for generating power from streams running through properties in West Virginia. The speaker mentions seeing ponds that have been dammed up and wonders if it is possible to use a turbine and generator to generate power from a small amount of water. Another person suggests using an alternator and storage batteries for power generation, and mentions that wind generators were commonly used in the past. The conversation concludes with the mention of people using generators to capture power from streams on their properties.
dustinbagley
I spent some time in the state of West Virginia where many people have streams running through their own property, many of which had even been dammed up by large mounds of Earth to make ponds. Some of the larger ones were at least 300 ft across and maybe 20 ft deep. I couldn't help but think about this wasted potential energy. What do you think? Is it possible to generate any power with a turbine and generator using a similarly small amount of water? Of course the power generation would not be consistant, in fact there would most likely be many times where the ponds run completley dry. But when it rains and it rains alot, it would fill rather quickly. I just want to know if anyone thinks one could benifit from something like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could certainly get some reasonable power from an alternator (or several) along with storage batteries and inverters. (Or just take a direct feed.) Most of the farms in my area had wind generators back in the pre-70's. It's at least enough to run things like pumps, power tools, etc..

I have actually seen pictures of people who have streams running through their properties that have generators working off the stream. I'm not exactly sure HOW they do it (turbine or other means), but they do capture off those streams.

1. What is personal hydroelectric power?

Personal hydroelectric power refers to the generation of electricity using a small-scale hydroelectric system that is installed and used by an individual or household. This allows individuals to generate their own electricity for personal use, reducing their reliance on traditional power sources.

2. How does personal hydroelectric power work?

Personal hydroelectric power systems work by harnessing the energy of flowing water, such as a stream or river, to turn a turbine. The turbine then spins a generator, producing electricity that can be used to power household appliances and devices.

3. What are the benefits of using personal hydroelectric power?

There are several benefits to using personal hydroelectric power. It is a renewable energy source, meaning it does not deplete natural resources, and it produces no greenhouse gas emissions. It also allows individuals to have more control over their energy production and can potentially save money on electricity bills.

4. What are the limitations of personal hydroelectric power?

One limitation of personal hydroelectric power is that it requires a constant flow of water to generate electricity, so it may not be feasible in areas with low water levels or seasonal changes in water flow. Additionally, the installation and maintenance of a personal hydroelectric system can be costly and may require specialized knowledge.

5. Are there any environmental concerns associated with personal hydroelectric power?

While personal hydroelectric power is generally considered a clean and renewable energy source, it can still have some negative impacts on the environment. For example, the construction of dams or diversion of water for hydroelectric power can disrupt natural habitats and affect fish and other aquatic life. It is important to carefully consider the potential environmental impacts before installing a personal hydroelectric system.