Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Personal thoughts on best ways to deal with wackos

1. Mar 10, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Im sure we've all run into people who claim the US never went to the moon and point out things like "why cant you see the stars" or "its too cold!" or whatever or people who think some big corporation runs the world or a group of 12 elders from switzerland dictate the world or that nuclear energy is horrible because if somethin goes wrong, supposedly itd be the equivalent of a 10 megaton bomb going off from people who spell physics with a k.

So what do you guys do when you come up to people like this? Whats your general attitute towards them and do you try to reason with them as much as possible or give up the first time they show their ignorance? Anyone have tricks to dealing with these people that result in much time saved and patience kept?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2005 #2
    First determine whether you are dealing with a rational person or not. If you aren't then no amount of arguing on your part will convince them so might as well give up... or have fun with them and use your science knowledge to invent some credible sounding far-out theories that they will believe. That's always fun

4. Mar 10, 2005 #3
    Re: no an easier way

Simply look embarrassed and say yes I know I was so soo sooo wrong, your right how could I have been so stupid, then make your exit; quick easy and painless :smile:

5. Mar 10, 2005 #4
    If the person is not rational, tell him that he is a deformed piglet and should drop dead and **** off.

6. Mar 10, 2005 #5
    I just smile and nod while avoiding eye contact.

7. Mar 10, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think ill do that and walk away but let out a big fart as i leave

8. Mar 10, 2005 #7
    I agree with pseudopod on this one. At least the first part. Determine (it may take some time. SOme weirdos are rational sounding at first) if they're rational. If at some point you determine they aren't try and get out gracefully. If you can't detach diplomatically and they seem to be bonding with you......RUN, RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN :rofl:

9. Mar 10, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try to sell them your car for twice its value. Never give up.

10. Mar 10, 2005 #9

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I usually just say "Fascinating", become distracted by something else, and wander off. Repeat as necessary.

11. Mar 10, 2005 #10
    My question is, "How can people who know everything, learn anything?"

My answer is, "Please don't instruct an idiot, how to appear intelligent."

My problem is, why isn't this thread closed?

12. Mar 10, 2005 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My aunt and uncle recently went to see the "what the bleep" movie so I got a big explanatory lecture from them on quantum physics last time the family got together for dinner. Don't get me wrong, I love them dearly, but .. ok, there was just no way out but to stuff a chicken leg in my mouth and nod appreciatively.

13. Mar 10, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pretty much all of the same rules apply as for those who wish to talk about sports or to show their kid's photo album.

14. Mar 11, 2005 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Why shoudl this thread be closed?

15. Mar 11, 2005 #14
    Re: mmm

His problem is not that this thread is still open but more that his mind is so closed. A light hearted thread like this one has as much right to exist as a discussion on anything profound, lighten up Dayle, the worlds gloomy enough as it is; what is it you object to Dayle, or are you trying to teach idiots to be intelligent? Mission achieved :smile:

16. Mar 11, 2005 #15
    This activity is described by social scientists, as the "They're So Stupid", kind of discussion. This is an educational forum. Saying that this is a light hearted thread, doesn't make it one. You might best name the thread, What to say to people, that don't think like you do. Wackos has just been substituted as a broad category of individuals that you can disrespect, rather than a more narrow category that would finger you as a bigot.

We all have various holes in our buckets and we attempt to fill them in different ways. Education is not going to fill the holes in your bucket if you think that it is better to have more water than anyone else. That means that you have holes in your bucket an education won't fill. Once your bucket is filled, then what are you going to do with it. What is the value of the substance you wish to carry? Will you find a group of individuals with similar full buckets, so you can gather and deride people whose buckets are not so full?

17. Mar 11, 2005 #16

Spoken like a true wacko :rofl: Pritty much everything he said is worthless. Most of it didnt even make sence.

HUH?! :confused:

PErhaps its time to try out some of the staratageys to being rid of this person...

:rolleyes:

18. Mar 11, 2005 #17
    Two words here. Spell Checker, or Chubby Checker if you like the twist.

19. Mar 11, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes, i agree, that was spoken like a true wacko. Anyone who uses the word "bigot" in that context is a person who generally goes around telling everyone off for little to no reason. They also usually can't take a joke and believe the whole world is based on discrimination and that every human being's opinions and demands should be accepted as the truth no matter how factless or unsubstantiated their claims may be. Its the type that thinks for example, children should be included into all discussions and their opinions must be taken into account as equal to or greater then an adult's (more educated) opinion for no reason other then to satisfy their own cowardice towards possible confrontation or having someones feelings hurt. And coincadently, your claiming this thread is unfairly confrontational yet you are the only one suggesting it should be censored solely because you dont like it.

20. Mar 11, 2005 #19
    :uhh:
    Time to try my favorite....

:: simles and nods ::

21. Mar 11, 2005 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you guys insult Dayle one more time I am going to hijack this thread and drive it over a cliff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?