1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Persons sitting in a row

1. Mar 26, 2014 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The number of ways in which 4 persons P1,P2,P3,P4 can be arranged in a row such that P2 does not follow P1, P3 does not follow P2 and P4 does not follow P3 is

3. The attempt at a solution

Let us assume that P1 occupies the first position. So, the next position can be occupied by P3 or P4. Thus, there are 2 ways by which the required arrangement can be made, P1 occupying the first seat. Since there are 4 persons, we have 2*4=8 ways by which the persons can be seated according to the given condition. But this is not correct. I can't figure out where I'm going wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does it mean for one person to "not follow" another when they are seated in a row?

4. Mar 27, 2014 #3

utkarshakash

Gold Member

I'm assuming that they should not be seated next to each other.

5. Mar 27, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I would interpret it as meaning they are not adjacent in a specific order. I.e. if we regard the leftmost position as the first position then P2 cannot be immediately to the right of P1, etc. P2-P1-P4-P3 would be valid.
    This means you cannot assume P1 is in first position.
    The only other interpretation of those words that seems reasonable to me is that P2 cannot be anywhere to the right of P1, etc. But then the problem becomes trivial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted