Perspective in 4d

• Thread starter pierce15
  • Start date
Hello,

This might be a bit of a stupid question, but if there were a universe of 4 spatial dimensions and photons behaved in the same way as in ours, would a 4D "hyper-alien" be able to see 4D perspective with only 2 hypershpherical eyes, or would it require more?

In case my question isn't clear, people who are born blind in one eye are not able to see 3D perspective- everything they see looks like a 2D picture. Having 2 eyes enables a human to judge depth. The name for this is stereopsis.

Answers and Replies

Why do you think it would be 4?

Why do you think it would be 4?
we use one pair to see depth in the z dimension and one pair to see depth in the 4th dimension.

Its my guess but Im sure a mathematician could provide a better answer with reasoning to support it.

Danger
Gold Member
I can't help wondering how many pairs of glasses one would need to wear to watch one of their movies.

I can't help wondering how many pairs of glasses one would need to wear to watch one of their movies.
I don't think it would matter extropolating from our latest batch 3D movies I'd say no one would want to see it.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
To my understanding a 4d being would have a 4d eye that is capable of seeing the world as a 3d image similar to how we see the world as a 2d image projected onto our retina. In such a case I would expect those beings to need only 2 eyes to get a perception of depth. However, I base this on nothing but personal intuition which is about as reliable as...uh, something that's not reliable.

To my understanding a 4d being would have a 4d eye that is capable of seeing the world as a 3d image similar to how we see the world as a 2d image projected onto our retina. In such a case I would expect those beings to need only 2 eyes to get a perception of depth. However, I base this on nothing but personal intuition which is about as reliable as...uh, something that's not reliable.
I thought of that answer too but couldn't come up with the mechanics of how a 3D eye might work. I figured people would see via photons and thus you'd need receptors to convert the photons to signals for the brain.

To accomplish a 3D eye, the receptors would have to be arrayed in a 3D structure but then they would interfere with one another making image resolution difficult.

But then again maybe they wouldn't interfere. I recall the example of a knot. Knots can only exist in three dimensions and not four.

Anyway, I can't quite think of the right analogy to analyze this problem.

When you look at a cube drawn in a 2D surface, you can see a projection of the third dimension, but no the whole third dimension. When you look at a moving hypercube in the third dimension, you are seeing a projection of the fourth dimension.