Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pertaining to the properties of electromagnetic radiation/ quanta

1. Jul 2, 2005 #1
    i do not believe that there is an answer, though i wish to be sure weather or not there are any semi-valid atleast theories on the reason for the wavelike properties exhibited in matter, and why they become more prevalent as the matter is of more concentrated energy (in photon for example compared to a hydrogen atom)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2005 #2
    well then... i suppose not

4. Jul 5, 2005 #3
    I understand your first question, but I don't know what do you mean with the second one.

5. Jul 5, 2005 #4
    my second question is why the wavelength of particles becomes larger, as the particles become smaller in mass (and i mean a more exact definitoin than because the it changes proportionatley inverse to the frequency)

6. Jul 5, 2005 #5
    The second answer is given by de Broglie's laws.

7. Jul 5, 2005 #6
    thank you for that... and is there any answer that you know of explaining the properties of such waves-why they occour (the first question) could this be explained under quantum mechanics?

8. Jul 5, 2005 #7
    What does it mean to "explain," exactly?

9. Jul 5, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's no place in the postulates of quantum mechanics where "waves" occur. In scattering theory one uses the term "partial waves","spherical outgoing waves" when mentioning Sommerfeld condition, but no, nowhere in the axiomatical core.

Daniel.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  10. Jul 5, 2005 #9
    I guess he means something like interference patterns, like what you get with Young's double slit experiment.

The explaination, I guess, is that it's an experimental fact.

11. Jul 5, 2005 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Wave-like properties such as diffraction and interference CAN be explained via the photon picture (re: the Marcella paper for example). There are no "dual" description of light in QM, only ONE.

Zz.

12. Jul 5, 2005 #11
    okay i did some research, and decided that i already knew the answer, and managed to find away around my mental block... thanks though it was you guys that allowed me to get around it :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?