Pertaining to the properties of electromagnetic radiation/ quanta

In summary, there is no answer as to why waves become more prevalent as particles become smaller. However, the photon picture can explain these phenomena.
professor
i do not believe that there is an answer, though i wish to be sure weather or not there are any semi-valid atleast theories on the reason for the wavelike properties exhibited in matter, and why they become more prevalent as the matter is of more concentrated energy (in photon for example compared to a hydrogen atom)

Physics news on Phys.org
well then... i suppose not

I understand your first question, but I don't know what do you mean with the second one.

my second question is why the wavelength of particles becomes larger, as the particles become smaller in mass (and i mean a more exact definitoin than because the it changes proportionatley inverse to the frequency)

The second answer is given by de Broglie's laws.

thank you for that... and is there any answer that you know of explaining the properties of such waves-why they occour (the first question) could this be explained under quantum mechanics?

What does it mean to "explain," exactly?

There's no place in the postulates of quantum mechanics where "waves" occur. In scattering theory one uses the term "partial waves","spherical outgoing waves" when mentioning Sommerfeld condition, but no, nowhere in the axiomatical core.

Daniel.

Last edited:
I guess he means something like interference patterns, like what you get with Young's double slit experiment.

The explanation, I guess, is that it's an experimental fact.

MalleusScientiarum said:
I guess he means something like interference patterns, like what you get with Young's double slit experiment.

The explanation, I guess, is that it's an experimental fact.

Wave-like properties such as diffraction and interference CAN be explained via the photon picture (re: the Marcella paper for example). There are no "dual" description of light in QM, only ONE.

Zz.

okay i did some research, and decided that i already knew the answer, and managed to find away around my mental block... thanks though it was you guys that allowed me to get around it :)

1. What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation refers to the energy that is emitted and propagated through space in the form of electromagnetic waves. These waves consist of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate perpendicular to each other and travel at the speed of light.

2. What are the properties of electromagnetic radiation?

The properties of electromagnetic radiation include wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and speed. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave. Frequency is the number of wave cycles that pass a point in one second. Amplitude is the height of a wave, and it determines the intensity or brightness of the radiation. The speed of electromagnetic radiation is constant and is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second in a vacuum.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency of electromagnetic radiation?

The wavelength and frequency of electromagnetic radiation are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation c=λν, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength, and ν is the frequency.

4. What are the different types of electromagnetic radiation?

The electromagnetic spectrum is divided into different types of radiation based on their wavelengths and frequencies. The types of radiation include radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type has different properties and uses, ranging from communication technology to medical imaging.

5. How do quanta or photons relate to electromagnetic radiation?

Quanta or photons are the fundamental units of electromagnetic radiation. They are discrete packets of energy that make up electromagnetic waves. The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, meaning that higher frequency photons have higher energy. This relationship is described by the equation E=hν, where E is the energy of a photon, h is Planck's constant, and ν is the frequency of the radiation.