Perturbation of a Hydrogen atom

In summary, the modified Coulomb model for the mutual Coulomb potential energy between an electron and a proton deviates from Coulomb's law at very small distances, with the perturbation given by ##\delta \hat {\mathbf H} = - \frac {e^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \left( \frac {b} {r^2} - \frac 1 r \right)##. Using this perturbation, the first-order correction to the ground-state energy of a hydrogen atom in the modified Coulomb model, given by ##E_1^{(1)} = - \frac {e^2} {\pi \varepsilon_0 a_0^
Leechie

Homework Statement

Suppose there is a deviation from Coulomb's law at very small distances, with the mutual Coulomb potential energy between an electron and a proton being given by:
$$V_{mod}(r)= \begin{cases} - \frac {e^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac {b} {r^2} & \text {for } 0 \lt r \leq b \\ - \frac {e^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac {1} {r} & \text {for } r \gt b \end{cases}$$
where ##e## is the magnitude of the electon charge, ##\varepsilon_0## is the permittivity of free space, ##r## is the electron-proton separation and ##b## is a constant length that is small compared to the Bohr radius but large compared to the radius of a proton. Throughout this question, the perturbed systen, with ##V(r)## replaced by ##V_{mod}(r)##, will be called the modified Coulomb model.

a) Specify the perturbation for the modified Coulomb model of a hydrogen atom relative to the unperturbed Coulomb model.

b) Use this perturbation to calculate the first-order correction, ##E_1^{(1)}## to the fround-state energy of a hydrogen atom in the modified Coulomb model, givesn that the fround-state energy eigenfunction for the unperturbed Coulomb model is:
$$\psi_{1,0,0} \left( r,\theta,\phi \right) = \left( \frac {1} {\pi a_0^3} \right)^{1/2} e^{-r/a_0} $$
c) Show that your answer to part (b) can be approximated by
$$E_1^{(1)} \approx - \frac {4b^2} {a_0^2} E_R$$ where ##E_R = {e^2} / 8 \pi \varepsilon_0 a_0## is the Rydberg energy. Hence deduce the largest value of ##b## that would be consistent with the fact that the ground-state energy of a hydrogen atom agrees with the predictions of the Coulomb model to one part in a thousand. Express your answer as a numerical multiple of ##a_o##.

Homework Equations

$$\int_0^x e^{-u} du = 1-e^{-x}$$ $$\int_0^x u e^{-u} du = 1-e^{-x}-xe^{-x}$$ for ##x \ll 1##,$$e{-x}=1-x+ \frac {x^2} {2} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
##\delta \hat {\mathbf H}= - \frac {e^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \left( \frac {b} {r^2} - \frac 1 r \right)##

b)
##E_1^{(1)}= - \frac {e^2} {\pi \varepsilon_0 a_0^3} \left( \frac {a_0b} {2} \left(1-e^{-2b/a_0} \right) - \frac {a_0^2} {4} \left(1-e^{-2b/a_0}-\frac {2b} {a_0} e^{-2b/a_0} \right) \right) ##

c)
This is where I'm having problems. I can get ##E_1^{(1)} \approx - \frac {4b^2} {a_0^2} E_R## by setting ##e^{-2b/a_0}=1## since ##b \ll a_0## and then integrate in the same way I did to get to answer (b), but should I be using my answer to part (b) to show ##E_1^{(1)} \approx - \frac {4b^2} {a_0^2} E_R## because I can't make it do that.

Also, I'm not sure how to proceed from here to deduce the largest value of ##b##, and I'm a bit unclear to what the question means by "agrees with the predictions of the Coulomb model to one part in a thousand".

Can anyone offer and advice with this please.

Likes alan
Physics news on Phys.org
I got a different result for (b). Can you show us your calculations?

This is how I got to (b):
$$\begin{align} E_1^{(1)} & = \int_0^\infty R_{nl}^*(r) \delta \hat {\mathbf H} R_{nl}(r) r^2 dr \nonumber \\ & = \int_0^b \left( \frac {1} {a_0} \right)^{3/2} 2e^{-r/a_0} \left( - \frac {e^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \right) \left( \frac {b} {r^2} - \frac 1 r \right) \left( \frac {1} {a_0} \right)^{3/2} 2e^{-r/a_0} r^2 dr \nonumber \\ & = \int_0^b \left( - \frac {e^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \right) \left( \frac {b} {r^2} - \frac 1 r \right) \frac {4} {a_0^3} e^{-2r/a_0} r^2 dr \nonumber \\ & = - \frac {e^2} {\pi \varepsilon_0 a_0^3} \int_0^b \left( \frac {b} {r^2} - \frac 1 r \right) e^{-2r/a_0} r^2 dr \nonumber \\ & = - \frac {e^2} {\pi \varepsilon_0 a_0^3} \int_0^b \left( b - r \right) e^{-2r/a_0} dr \nonumber \\ & = - \frac {e^2} {\pi \varepsilon_0 a_0^3} \left( \int_0^b b e^{-2r/a_0} dr - \int_0^b r e^{-2r/a_0} dr \right) \nonumber \end{align} $$
Then I used the given integrals to get to:
$$\int_0^b b e^{-2r/a_0} dr = \frac {a_0 b} {2} \int_0^{2b/a_0} e^{-u} du = \frac {a_0 b} {2} \left( 1 - e^{-2b/a_0} \right) $$
And
$$\int_0^b r e^{-2r/a_0} dr = \frac {a_0^2} {4} \int_0^{2b/a_0} u e^{-u} du = \frac {a_0^2} {4} \left( 1 - e^{-2b/a_0} - \frac {2b} {a_0}e^{-2b/a_0} \right) $$
Then I substituted back into get my answer for (b). Have I messed this up somewhere?

Oops, my mistake, I simplified your answer incorrectly. You have some terms that will cancel out, and you should end up with
$$\frac{k e^2}{a}\left(1-\frac{2b}{a} - e^{-2b/a}\right),$$ where ##k = \frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}##. Now expand the exponential term to second order, and you'll get the result you seek.

Likes Leechie
Thanks vela. I see how that all fits together now.

I'm still a little confused with this bit though:
Hence deduce the largest value of ##b## that would be consistent with the fact that the ground-state energy of a hydrogen atom agrees with the predictions of the Coulomb model to one part in a thousand. Express your answer as a numerical multiple of ##a_o##.
I know how to find the largest value of ##b## using a derivative (if that's what the questions is asking), but I'm not sure I understand the bit about 'one part in a thousand'. I'm thinking the idea behind this is to find the point where the Coulomb model first matches the ground state as ##b## increases from ##0##, which would be the maximum value ##b##?

The question is asking when do the unperturbed and perturbed energies differ by less than 0.1%.

Likes Leechie
I think I know where I'm heading now, thanks.

1. What is perturbation of a Hydrogen atom?

Perturbation of a Hydrogen atom refers to the small disturbance or change in the energy levels of the atom caused by an external influence or perturbing potential. This can include factors such as electric or magnetic fields, or the presence of other atoms or particles.

2. How does perturbation affect the energy levels of a Hydrogen atom?

Perturbation can cause the energy levels of a Hydrogen atom to shift and split into multiple levels. This is known as the Stark effect when caused by electric fields, and the Zeeman effect when caused by magnetic fields. These changes in energy levels can be observed through spectroscopy.

3. What is the significance of studying perturbation of a Hydrogen atom?

Studying perturbation of a Hydrogen atom allows us to better understand the behavior of atoms and how they interact with their surroundings. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum mechanics and atomic physics, as well as in the development of technologies such as lasers.

4. Can perturbation be used to manipulate the energy levels of a Hydrogen atom?

Yes, perturbation can be used to manipulate the energy levels of a Hydrogen atom. By controlling the external influence or perturbing potential, we can alter the energy levels of the atom and potentially control its behavior and properties.

5. How does perturbation theory help in understanding the behavior of a Hydrogen atom?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical tool that allows us to analyze and calculate the effects of perturbation on the energy levels and behavior of a Hydrogen atom. It helps us to better understand the atom's response to external influences and make predictions about its behavior in different scenarios.