1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perturbation of a Hydrogen atom

1. Mar 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose there is a deviation from Coulomb's law at very small distances, with the mutual Coulomb potential energy between an electron and a proton being given by:
    $$V_{mod}(r)= \begin{cases} - \frac {e^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac {b} {r^2} & \text {for } 0 \lt r \leq b \\ - \frac {e^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \frac {1} {r} & \text {for } r \gt b \end{cases}$$
    where ##e## is the magnitude of the electon charge, ##\varepsilon_0## is the permittivity of free space, ##r## is the electron-proton seperation and ##b## is a constant length that is small compared to the Bohr radius but large compared to the radius of a proton. Throughout this question, the perturbed systen, with ##V(r)## replaced by ##V_{mod}(r)##, will be called the modified Coulomb model.

a) Specify the perturbation for the modified Coulomb model of a hydrogen atom relative to the unperturbed Coulomb model.

b) Use this perturbation to calculate the first-order correction, ##E_1^{(1)}## to the fround-state energy of a hydrogen atom in the modified Coulomb model, givesn that the fround-state energy eigenfunction for the unperturbed Coulomb model is:
    $$\psi_{1,0,0} \left( r,\theta,\phi \right) = \left( \frac {1} {\pi a_0^3} \right)^{1/2} e^{-r/a_0} $$
    c) Show that your answer to part (b) can be approximated by
    $$E_1^{(1)} \approx - \frac {4b^2} {a_0^2} E_R$$ where ##E_R = {e^2} / 8 \pi \varepsilon_0 a_0## is the Rydberg energy. Hence deduce the largest value of ##b## that would be consistent with the fact that the ground-state energy of a hydrogen atom agrees with the predictions of the Coulomb model to one part in a thousand. Express your answer as a numerical multiple of ##a_o##.
    2. Relevant equations
    $$\int_0^x e^{-u} du = 1-e^{-x}$$ $$\int_0^x u e^{-u} du = 1-e^{-x}-xe^{-x}$$ for ##x \ll 1##,$$e{-x}=1-x+ \frac {x^2} {2} $$

3. The attempt at a solution
    a)
    ##\delta \hat {\mathbf H}= - \frac {e^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \left( \frac {b} {r^2} - \frac 1 r \right)##

b)
    ##E_1^{(1)}= - \frac {e^2} {\pi \varepsilon_0 a_0^3} \left( \frac {a_0b} {2} \left(1-e^{-2b/a_0} \right) - \frac {a_0^2} {4} \left(1-e^{-2b/a_0}-\frac {2b} {a_0} e^{-2b/a_0} \right) \right) ##

c)
    This is where I'm having problems. I can get ##E_1^{(1)} \approx - \frac {4b^2} {a_0^2} E_R## by setting ##e^{-2b/a_0}=1## since ##b \ll a_0## and then integrate in the same way I did to get to answer (b), but should I be using my answer to part (b) to show ##E_1^{(1)} \approx - \frac {4b^2} {a_0^2} E_R## because I can't make it do that.

Also, I'm not sure how to proceed from here to deduce the largest value of ##b##, and I'm a bit unclear to what the question means by "agrees with the predictions of the Coulomb model to one part in a thousand".

Can anyone offer and advice with this please.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2017 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I got a different result for (b). Can you show us your calculations?

4. Mar 20, 2017 #3
    This is how I got to (b):
    $$\begin{align} E_1^{(1)} & = \int_0^\infty R_{nl}^*(r) \delta \hat {\mathbf H} R_{nl}(r) r^2 dr \nonumber \\ & = \int_0^b \left( \frac {1} {a_0} \right)^{3/2} 2e^{-r/a_0} \left( - \frac {e^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \right) \left( \frac {b} {r^2} - \frac 1 r \right) \left( \frac {1} {a_0} \right)^{3/2} 2e^{-r/a_0} r^2 dr \nonumber \\ & = \int_0^b \left( - \frac {e^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \right) \left( \frac {b} {r^2} - \frac 1 r \right) \frac {4} {a_0^3} e^{-2r/a_0} r^2 dr \nonumber \\ & = - \frac {e^2} {\pi \varepsilon_0 a_0^3} \int_0^b \left( \frac {b} {r^2} - \frac 1 r \right) e^{-2r/a_0} r^2 dr \nonumber \\ & = - \frac {e^2} {\pi \varepsilon_0 a_0^3} \int_0^b \left( b - r \right) e^{-2r/a_0} dr \nonumber \\ & = - \frac {e^2} {\pi \varepsilon_0 a_0^3} \left( \int_0^b b e^{-2r/a_0} dr - \int_0^b r e^{-2r/a_0} dr \right) \nonumber \end{align} $$
    Then I used the given integrals to get to:
    $$\int_0^b b e^{-2r/a_0} dr = \frac {a_0 b} {2} \int_0^{2b/a_0} e^{-u} du = \frac {a_0 b} {2} \left( 1 - e^{-2b/a_0} \right) $$
    And
    $$\int_0^b r e^{-2r/a_0} dr = \frac {a_0^2} {4} \int_0^{2b/a_0} u e^{-u} du = \frac {a_0^2} {4} \left( 1 - e^{-2b/a_0} - \frac {2b} {a_0}e^{-2b/a_0} \right) $$
    Then I substituted back in to get my answer for (b). Have I messed this up somewhere?

5. Mar 20, 2017 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Oops, my mistake, I simplified your answer incorrectly. You have some terms that will cancel out, and you should end up with
    $$\frac{k e^2}{a}\left(1-\frac{2b}{a} - e^{-2b/a}\right),$$ where ##k = \frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}##. Now expand the exponential term to second order, and you'll get the result you seek.

6. Mar 21, 2017 #5
    Thanks vela. I see how that all fits together now.

I'm still a little confused with this bit though:
    I know how to find the largest value of ##b## using a derivative (if that's what the questions is asking), but I'm not sure I understand the bit about 'one part in a thousand'. I'm thinking the idea behind this is to find the point where the Coulomb model first matches the ground state as ##b## increases from ##0##, which would be the maximum value ##b##?

7. Mar 21, 2017 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The question is asking when do the unperturbed and perturbed energies differ by less than 0.1%.

8. Mar 21, 2017 #7
    I think I know where I'm heading now, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted