Perturbation of hydrogen energy due to nucleus

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the first order energy correction to the ground state of a hydrogen atom, taking into account the finite size of the nucleus. The potential inside the nucleus is given by \frac{-e^2}{4\pi \epsilon b} and the interaction is constructed through the perturbation equation. There is a discussion about whether the interaction depends on r or not, with the conclusion that it does depend on r.
JamesJames
Consider the ground state of the hydrogen atom. Estimate the correction [tex]\frac{\Delta E}{E_1s} [/tex] caused by the finite size of the nucleus. Assume that it is a unifromly charged shell with radius b and the potential inside is given by [tex]\frac{-e^2}{4\pi \epsilon b}[/tex]

Calculate the first order energy eorrection to the ground state and expand in [tex]\frac{b}{a_0}[/tex]. Keep the leading term and observe [tex]\frac{\Delta E}{E_1s}[/tex] for b = 10^-15m.

Ok, I need help in constructing the interaction W (or H'). Once I get that, I would then calculate the expectation value of it by sandwiching it between [tex]\psi_1s[/tex]. Is this correct and how would I construct the interaction?

Here is what I have so far

H0 = (p^2)/2m - e^2/r and H = H0 for r > r0

H = (p^2)/2m -e^2/(4pi epsilon b) = H0 + H' for r < r0

Then I would solve for H' and use the perturbation equation. Is this correct ?

James

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, i tried it and it is not making any sense. H' somehow does not depend on r. What am I doing wrong?

James

Anything guys...whatever you can suggest would be great.

James

The perturbation is a constant,indeed...The radius of the nucleus is a constant.And because the [tex] \psi_{1,0,0} (r,\theta,\phi) [/tex] is normalized,the integration will be trivial.

Daniel.

Are the steps I used correct?

Ok, I think I made a mistake. H' does in fact depend on r.

H' = H0 + e^2/r - e^2/(4pi epsilon b)

So I am going to get a constant term plus a term that depends on r so there will be some dependence. Where am I slipping up?

James

1. How does the nucleus affect the energy levels of hydrogen?

The energy levels of hydrogen are determined by the attraction between the electron and the positively charged nucleus. The stronger the attraction, the lower the energy level will be. As the distance between the electron and nucleus decreases, the energy level decreases as well. This is known as the perturbation of hydrogen energy due to the nucleus.

2. Can the perturbation of hydrogen energy be calculated accurately?

Yes, the perturbation of hydrogen energy can be calculated accurately using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the effects of the nucleus on the electron's energy levels. However, due to the complex nature of the equation, it may require advanced mathematical techniques and approximations to obtain precise values.

3. How does the size of the nucleus affect the perturbation of hydrogen energy?

The size of the nucleus does not have a significant impact on the perturbation of hydrogen energy. This is because the charge of the nucleus remains the same regardless of its size, and it is the charge that determines the strength of the attraction between the electron and the nucleus.

4. What is the significance of the perturbation of hydrogen energy in atomic physics?

The perturbation of hydrogen energy is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of atoms. It allows us to predict the energy levels of electrons in hydrogen and other atoms, which is essential in explaining phenomena such as atomic spectra and chemical bonding.

5. Can the perturbation of hydrogen energy be observed experimentally?

Yes, the perturbation of hydrogen energy can be observed experimentally through various techniques, such as spectroscopy. By measuring the energy levels of the electron in a hydrogen atom, we can indirectly observe the effects of the nucleus on the energy levels. These observations have been crucial in confirming the accuracy of mathematical models and theories in atomic physics.