1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perturbation Theory energy shift

1. Jan 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to calculate the energy shift given an electron in a 1D harmonic potential has a wavefunction

[tex]\Psi_{0}(x) = \left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi\hbar}\right)^{1/4}exp\left(\frac{-m\omega x^{2}}{2\hbar}\right)[/tex]

The shift in [tex]E_{0} = \frac{\hbar\omega}{2} = 2eV[/tex]

due to the time independent perturbation
    [tex]V(x) = V_{0}cos\frac{\pi x}{L}[/tex]
    where [tex]V_{0}=1eV, L = 5x10^{-10}m[/tex].

I'm told that [tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-a^{2}x^{2}}cos(bx)dx = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{a}e^{-b^{2}/(4a^{2})}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

OK, here's what I have:

[tex]\Delta E_{0} = V_{00} = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\Psi_{0}^{*}V\Psi_{0} dV[/tex]

[tex]= V_{0}\left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi\hbar}\right)^{1/2} \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}exp\left(\frac{-m\omega x^{2}}{\hbar}\right)cos\left(\frac{\pi x}{L}\right)dx[/tex]

Which, using the integration provided leads to

Now the exponential I have = 1 using the values provided, leading me to [tex]\Delta E_{0} = V_{0} = 1eV[/tex]

HOWEVER, the answers I've been provided with show that:

[tex]\Delta E_{0} = \sqrt{2} exp\left(\frac{\pi^{2}\hbar}{2L^{2}m\omega}\right)[/tex]

The exponential still goes to one, leaving delta E at 1.41 eV, but I can't see for the life of me how it's been arrived at... Help!!!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?