Perturbation theory problem

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the first order correction energy and wave function for a particle in an infinite square well with a perturbed Hamiltonian of 1/2 mw2x2. There is confusion about which boundaries to use for integration, but it is determined that the original wave function is valid between +L/2 and -L/2. Despite the potential being infinite at these boundaries, the perturbation is assumed to be small and will only slightly affect the energies and wave functions.
abcs22

Homework Statement

I have the particle in the infinite square well and need to calculate the first order correction energy and the wave function. L is the width and the potential is:
1/2 mw2x2 in the -L/2 < x < L/2
and infinity in x <= -L/2 and x>=L/2

Homework Equations

H'=H-H0[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have stated that the perturbed Hamiltonian is equal to 1/2 mw2x2.
I am confused by the integral itself; I am not sure which boundaries to use. I am assuming that since the potential is infinite in L/2 and -L/2 I am not supposed to use those boundary conditions?

Physics news on Phys.org
if the potential is infinite, then the wave function is zero

Yes, but which boundaries to use then when integrating? Is the perturbed Hamiltonian correct?

That is what I'm saying. I don't know how to put boundaries since I can't use -L/2 and L/2. In all the other examples I've had, the <= and >= signs were where the potential isn't infinite, as it is in the general infinite square well problem.

the original wave function is valid between [itex] \pm L/2[/itex] so those are the limits of integration.

So, I approach this problem the same, regardless this < sign? It confuses me because it says than when x is + or -L/2, the potential is infinite, hence wave function is zero. How is it right to put those boundaries once the integral is solved?

it is a perturbation, it is supposed to be small, if the width of the well is not too large the perturbation at the bottom will only slightly affect the energies and wave functions.

1. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used in physics and engineering to approximate solutions to problems that involve small changes or disturbances in a known system. It allows us to study the behavior of a system when it is not in its original state.

2. How does perturbation theory work?

Perturbation theory works by breaking down a complex problem into simpler parts, making it easier to solve. It involves expanding the solution of a problem in terms of a small parameter, which represents the magnitude of the perturbation. The resulting solution is then used to approximate the true solution of the problem.

3. What are the limitations of perturbation theory?

One limitation of perturbation theory is that it is only applicable to problems with small perturbations. If the perturbation is too large, the approximations made in the method may lead to inaccurate results. Additionally, perturbation theory can only be used for linear systems and may not be suitable for highly nonlinear problems.

4. What are some real-world applications of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory has many practical applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of atoms and molecules, in celestial mechanics to predict the orbits of planets, and in electronics to design and analyze circuits. It is also used in fluid dynamics, acoustics, and many other fields.

5. Are there any alternative methods to perturbation theory?

Yes, there are alternative methods to perturbation theory such as numerical methods and variational methods. Numerical methods use computers to solve complex problems by breaking them down into smaller tasks. Variational methods involve optimizing a functional to find the most accurate solution to a problem. Each method has its own advantages and limitations and may be more suitable for certain types of problems.