1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perturbation theory

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Considered the 2D harmonic oscillator potential,
    V(x,y) = [tex]m\omega^{2}[/tex][tex]x^{2}/2[/tex]+[tex]m\omega^{2}[/tex][tex]y^{2}/2+ \lambda xy[/tex]
    and showed that the energy eigenvalues could be found exactly. Now, treat this as a perturbation theory problem with perturbing Hamiltonian, [tex]H^{'}=\lambda xy[/tex]
    a) Find the first and second-order shifts in the energy of the ground state.
    b) Series expand the exact energy level of the ground state in powers of [tex]\lambda[/tex] and show that the first and second order terms agree with your calculations from part a)

2. In a 2-D state space, the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, [tex]H^{0} are [/tex]
    [tex]\phi_{1} and \phi_{2}[/tex] with eigenvalues [tex]E_{1} and E_{2}[/tex] respectively. Now each of these states are subject to the perturbation: [tex]H^{'}[/tex]

If [tex]E_{1} \neq E_{2}[/tex], what are the new energy levels according to first-order perturbation theory?

2. Relevant equations

([tex]H^{0}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda H^{'}[/tex])([tex]\phi_{1}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\phi_{2}[/tex]) = ([tex]E_{1}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda E_{2}[/tex])([tex]\phi_{1}[/tex]+[tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\phi_{2}[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution

For 1. part b, i dont know what this question asks me to do. We can use the formulas for part a, so does part b ask us to derive the formula from the beginning with H' ? I get the solution for part a, such as E1=0 and E2=-P*(2n+1) where P is some constant. I dont know whether they are right or not.

For 2. do we start with the equation above?

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted