1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

@ Peskin eqn 2.54

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am facing problem to derive the 2nd expression from the first one. My problem is the 2nd term of the 2nd expression.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    \int\frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{1}{2E_p}[\exp(-ip\cdot(x - y)) - \exp(ip\cdot (x - y))]=\int\ \frac{d^3p} {(2\pi)^3}\ \{ \frac {1}{2E_p}\ e^{-ip.(x-y)}\left|_{p^0 = E_p}\ +\ \frac {1}{-2E_p}\ e^{-ip.(x-y)}\left|_{p^0 = -E_p}\ \}
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]
    p\cdot (x - y)= p^0(x^0 - y^0) - \textbf p\cdot(x-y)
    [/tex]

For Po = - Ep we can take
    [tex]
    p\cdot (x - y)= - p^0(x^0 - y^0) - \textbf p\cdot(x-y)
    [/tex]
    If i am not wrong yet, then what now?
    should i change the dummy variable as p = - p? But if do it then i think another change comes d3p becomes -d3p for the 2nd term and i loose the minus sign before the 2nd term.

i don't know how much wrong i am but i am expecting good solution from you guys.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2009 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The trick is that the measure d3p actually does not change sign under p -> -p.

4. Dec 7, 2009 #3
    Thanks Ben . But will you plz explain that why the sign of d3 does not change. Is it because of spherical co-ordinates : d3p = p2sin(theta)d(theta)d(phi)dp , where p = |p| ?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook