How does Peskin derive equations 2.51 and 2.52 from equation 2.50 on page 27?

• A
  • Thread starter Rapivcci
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Peskin
In summary, the conversation discusses how Peskin derived the first step used in the text for equation 2.51. Starting from equation 2.50, with the assumption that x-y is purely timelike, the exponent is reduced to ##-iEt##, which is equivalent to ##-it\sqrt{p^2+m^2}##. Then, Peskin changes from Cartesian momentum coordinates to spherical polar momentum coordinates, where ##p^2## is just ##p_r^2## and ##p## denotes the magnitude of the 3-momentum. The integral in the first line of equation 2.51 is then an integral over ##p_r##. Peskin has already performed the angular integrals in
Rapivcci
I am trying to verify 2.50 on pg 27 of peskin but did it in my own way, I am sure i made some mistakes here but i was able to get the right answer. Can someone highlight why some of these steps are invalid and explain how peskin git from 2.50 to the first step used in the text for 2.51.
15519386456087053958814888589689.jpg

And yes it should be p-m(p+m), sry about that.

Attachments

• 15519386456087053958814888589689.jpg
    15519386456087053958814888589689.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,028
Physics news on Phys.org
Rapivcci said:
how peskin git from 2.50 to the first step used in the text for 2.51.
From (2.50), with the assumption that x-y is purely timelike, that reduces the exponent in (2.50) to ##-iEt##, which is ##-it\sqrt{p^2+m^2}##, (where ##p^2## means the magnitude of the 3-momentum).

Then he changes from Cartesian momentum coordinates ##p_x, p_y, p_z## to spherical polar momentum coordinates ##p_r, p_\theta, p_\phi##. The Cartesian ##p^2## is just ##p_r^2##, but then he denotes a plain ##p## to mean ##\sqrt{p_r^2}##, i.e., the magnitude of the 3-momentum. The integral in the 1st line of (2.51) is then really an integral over ##p_r## (analogous to an integral over ##r## in ordinary spherical polar position coordinates). He has already performed the angular integrals of the 3-integral in (2.50) -- that's where the leading factor of ##4\pi## in (2.51) came from.

Then there's a change of integration variable from ##p## to ##E=\sqrt{p^2+m^2}## to get the 2nd line in (2.51).

HTH.

Likes Rapivcci and vanhees71
@strangerep it helps a lot, thanks a bunch.

1. What is the Peskin equation 2.51?

The Peskin equation 2.51 is a mathematical equation that describes the dynamics of a particle in a stochastic environment. It takes into account the effects of random forces on the movement of the particle.

2. What is the Peskin equation 2.52?

The Peskin equation 2.52 is a modified version of the original equation 2.51, which includes an additional term to account for the effects of friction on the particle's movement. It is often used in studies of Brownian motion and other stochastic processes.

3. How are the Peskin equations used in scientific research?

The Peskin equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to model and understand the behavior of particles in stochastic environments. They are also used in computer simulations to study complex systems and phenomena.

4. Are there any limitations to the Peskin equations?

Like any mathematical model, the Peskin equations have limitations and may not accurately describe all real-world situations. They are based on certain assumptions and simplifications, which may not hold true in all cases. Therefore, they should be used with caution and in conjunction with other experimental or theoretical data.

5. Can the Peskin equations be applied to systems with multiple particles?

While the original Peskin equations were developed for a single particle, they have been extended to systems with multiple interacting particles. However, the complexity and computational cost increases significantly with the number of particles, and alternative methods may be more suitable for such systems.