Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Peskin p135 5.10

1. Jul 1, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    I'm doing the calculation of the unpolarized cross section in peskin QFT and i am facing a little obstacle, after the calculation of two traces i get terms containing ##g^{\mu \nu}.g_{\mu \nu}## and my question is how to deal with them? does this product equal to a numerical value?
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Are youfamiliar with SR and tensor notation? Do you know what ##g^{\mu\nu}g_{\nu\rho}## would be?

4. Jul 1, 2015 #3
    I think it's equal to ##\delta_{\rho}^{\nu}##.....

5. Jul 1, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Indeed, so what is the trace of the Kronecker delta?

6. Jul 1, 2015 #5
    4 but terms containing ##g^{\mu \nu}.g_{\mu \nu}## come after the calculation of traces!!
    Thanks

7. Jul 1, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It comes after calculating the traces of gamma matrices whose indices generally are suppressed, this is a trace of the Lorentz indices.

8. Jul 1, 2015 #7
    Ok Orodrui thank very much :)

9. Jul 1, 2015 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just be aware that generally there will be loads of indices and traces which are implicit in field theory (and in particular gauge theory). Lorentz indices, spinor indices, group indices, flavour indices, etc. They may not always be written out but implicit because writing them out explicitly would fill your pages with a mountain of indices.

10. Jul 1, 2015 #9
    Ok i'll keep that in mind :D Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook