Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Peskin page 46 to 47

1. Sep 12, 2014 #1
    Hi, all

I'm reading peskin by myself.
    I can't understand from eq(3.50) to eq(3.53).

i) What should I interpret [itex]\sqrt{p\cdot\sigma}[/itex]?
    I guess below, but I can't understand [itex]\sqrt{\;\;}[/itex] of matrices.

\begin{eqnarray}
    p\cdot\sigma=E \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array}\right) - p^3\left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array}\right) \\
    = \left(\begin{array}{cc} E-p^3 & 0 \\ 0 & E+p^3 \end{array}\right)
    \end{eqnarray}

And why is it the same as (3.49)?

ii)How can I confirm (3.50) is a solution of the Dirac equation?

iii)What's meaning of "large boost" in (3.52) and (3.53)?
    If I understand the Dirac spinor more, is it easy transform?
    When so, where can I study Dirac spinor easily?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2014 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

i. In Peskin they immediately explain what they mean by sqrt of a matrix right after its use...
    then it's just algebra...

ii. you just put it in dirac's equation...

iii. Large boost means that you are doing a large boost... a boost is described by the parameter [itex]\eta[/itex] (in the same way rotations are described by [itex]\theta[/itex]). At the limit [itex]\eta \rightarrow \infinity[/itex] you get that result...

4. Sep 12, 2014 #3
    Thanks ChrisVer.
    I'm not native, so a little difficult to understand that sentense. Sorry,but I ask in another words.

If [itex]A=\left(\begin{array}{cc} a & b \\ c & d \end{array}\right)[/itex],
    [itex]\sqrt{A}=\left(\begin{array}{cc} \sqrt{eigenvalue1} & 0 \\ 0 & \sqrt{eigenvalue2} \end{array}\right)[/itex]?
    I want to know the component expression.

5. Sep 12, 2014 #4

ChrisVer

Gold Member

then you have to find the eigenvalues of your matrix A.... :) except for the case the A is in diagonal form...
    for the eigenvalues of a general matrix, you find them by solving the characteristic polynomial of [itex]\alpha[/itex]:
    [itex] det(A-I \alpha)=0[/itex]
    [itex]\alpha[/itex] are the eigenvalues. [itex]I[/itex] the unitary matrix... det=determinant...

6. Sep 12, 2014 #5
    I understand.
    Thank you!

7. Sep 12, 2014 #6

ChrisVer

Gold Member

CORRECTION
    sorry I just saw Peskin did a boost only along the 3 direction ok...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  8. Sep 20, 2014 #7

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Hello, I am sorry to come up here again, but I just read these parts in Peskin.
    I don't understand your question now about the "Easy to transform spinor", But I can answer better the question about the large boosts.
    You have the quantities [itex]\sqrt{E \pm p_3} [/itex] multiplying the 2-component spinors.
    Now a large boost means that you are letting [itex]p_3[/itex] become large... In this case [itex]E = \sqrt{m^2 + p_3 ^2} \approx p_3[/itex]
    So the [itex]\sqrt{E - p_3}= 0[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{E + p_3}= \sqrt{2E} [/itex]

9. Sep 20, 2014 #8

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Just let me make some remarks about the square root of a matrix. It's not so simple! It's not even necessary for the issue it's applied in (3.50). Everything can derived with the Dirac-[itex]\gamma^{\mu}[/itex] matrices without taking roots.

To define the square root of matrices, let's discuss only hermitean positive semidefinite matrices. As you know from linear algebra, a hermitean matrix can also be diagonalized by a unitary transformation, and all eigenvalues are real. The eigenvectors are orthogonal to each other and can be normalized, so that you have a unitary transformation from the original basis to the so defined eigenbasis. The matrix is called positive semidefinite, if all eigenvalues are [itex]\geq 0[/itex].

Now to define [itex]\sqrt{\hat{A}}[/itex] for such a matrix, of course you like to have [itex](\sqrt{\hat{A}})^2=\hat{A}[/itex]. Now you can diagonalize the original matrix with a unitary transformation,
    [tex]\hat{A}'=\hat{U} \hat{A} \hat{U}^{\dagger}=\mathrm{diag}(\lambda_1,\ldots,\lambda_n),[/tex]
    where [itex]n[/itex] is the dimension of our unitary vector space (Hilbert space of finite dimension).

Now for this diagonal matrix, it's easy to find [itex]\sqrt{\hat{A}'}[/itex], but it's not unique. One solution possibility is the one Peskin and Schroeder choose: Just take the positive roots of all the eigenvalues:
    [tex]\sqrt{\hat{A}'}=\mathrm{diag}(\sqrt{\lambda_1},\ldots,\sqrt{\lambda}_n).[/tex]
    Of course you can also choose the negative roots or the positive and negative roots for the different eigenvalues. All together you have [itex]2^n[/itex] square roots of such a postive semidefinite diagonal matrix.

Each of these square roots is uniquely mapped back to the original basis by
    [tex]\sqrt{\hat{A}}=\hat{U}^{\dagger} \sqrt{\hat{A}'} \hat{U}.[/tex]
    Indeed you directly verify
    [tex](\hat{U}^{\dagger} \sqrt{\hat{A}'} \hat{U})^2 = \hat{U}^{\dagger} \sqrt{\hat{A}'} \hat{U}\hat{U}^{\dagger} \sqrt{\hat{A}'} \hat{U} = \hat{U}^{\dagger} (\sqrt{\hat{A}'})^2 \hat{U} = \hat{U}^{\dagger} \hat{A} \hat{U} = \hat{U}^{\dagger} \hat{U} \hat{A} \hat{U}^{\dagger} \hat{U} = \hat{A}.[/tex]
    In this way you define arbitrary functions of hermitean matrices (or even operators in infininte-dimensional Hilbert space).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook