Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Pesky Tangents

1. Mar 7, 2006 #1
    Ok, I've found the answer to these questions, but I did so in more of a trial and error way. The question is:

f(x) = 2x^2 + x

Find the two tangent lines to the curve, which both pass through the point (2,-3).

So, I tried using y=mx+b = 2x^2 + x, where m = f'(x) = 2x + 1, thus:
    (2x+1)x + b = 2x^2 + x. I worked this out to find an extraneous answer, and one correct tangent of y = -x - 1. I know the other answer has a slope of 11, through trial and error, but there's got to be an easier way.

Any thoughts on how to do this algebraically?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

Ok, so [tex]f(x) = 2x^2 + x\Rightarrow f^{\prime} (x) = 4x + 1[/tex]

We wish to find the two tangent lines to the curve, which both pass through the point (2,-3). Use the point-slope formula instead, that is, use

[tex]y-y_0=m(x-x_0)[/tex]

Since the tangent line(s) pass throught the point (2,-3), we may take [tex](x_0,y_0)=(2,-3),[/tex] hence

[tex]y+3=m(x-2)[/tex]

but also, if (a,f(a)) is the point at which the line is tangent to the curve, we require that, [tex]m=f^{\prime} (a) = 4a + 1[/tex] and that (a,f(a)) be a point on the tangent line itself, hence we require that

[tex]f(a)+3=f^{\prime} (a)(a-2) \Rightarrow 2a^2+a+3=(4a+1)(a-2) [/tex]

hold. The two solutions for a give the two tangent lines.

4. Mar 7, 2006 #3
    Ahh, I see. It looks like I wrote the function down wrong (should be x^2 + x), but thanks for the insight.

5. Mar 7, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

That you may check your work: the values of a that work for f(x)=x^2+x are [tex]a=2\pm 3 = -1,5[/tex] and the other tangent line is y=11x-25

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook