1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pesky Tangents

1. Mar 7, 2006 #1
    Ok, I've found the answer to these questions, but I did so in more of a trial and error way. The question is:

f(x) = 2x^2 + x

Find the two tangent lines to the curve, which both pass through the point (2,-3).

So, I tried using y=mx+b = 2x^2 + x, where m = f'(x) = 2x + 1, thus:
    (2x+1)x + b = 2x^2 + x. I worked this out to find an extraneous answer, and one correct tangent of y = -x - 1. I know the other answer has a slope of 11, through trial and error, but there's got to be an easier way.

Any thoughts on how to do this algebraically?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

Ok, so [tex]f(x) = 2x^2 + x\Rightarrow f^{\prime} (x) = 4x + 1[/tex]

We wish to find the two tangent lines to the curve, which both pass through the point (2,-3). Use the point-slope formula instead, that is, use

[tex]y-y_0=m(x-x_0)[/tex]

Since the tangent line(s) pass throught the point (2,-3), we may take [tex](x_0,y_0)=(2,-3),[/tex] hence

[tex]y+3=m(x-2)[/tex]

but also, if (a,f(a)) is the point at which the line is tangent to the curve, we require that, [tex]m=f^{\prime} (a) = 4a + 1[/tex] and that (a,f(a)) be a point on the tangent line itself, hence we require that

[tex]f(a)+3=f^{\prime} (a)(a-2) \Rightarrow 2a^2+a+3=(4a+1)(a-2) [/tex]

hold. The two solutions for a give the two tangent lines.

4. Mar 7, 2006 #3
    Ahh, I see. It looks like I wrote the function down wrong (should be x^2 + x), but thanks for the insight.

5. Mar 7, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

That you may check your work: the values of a that work for f(x)=x^2+x are [tex]a=2\pm 3 = -1,5[/tex] and the other tangent line is y=11x-25

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?