Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pet during physics grad school?

1. Nov 30, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I'm a senior undergraduate physics majors taking a gap year before applying to physics grad school. I wanted to get a pet before continuing off the physics grads school and i was wondering if I realistically have time or money to take care of it. I'm thinking of getting a pet lizard which take up more time as babies but not as much as adults. I want to eventually adopt a dog but I think they would take up too much time (especially during the first two years of physics grad school.)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could always get a pet rock. They don't take much time, even when they are young.

4. Nov 30, 2013 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

When I was in grad school, for a while some of us kept pets in our offices.

One group of students set up a pen in the corner of their office, with a rabbit, a turtle, and an iguana. They also had an aquarium with fish (of course) and a newt named Sir Isaac. Another guy had a cage with a boa constrictor.

I had a pair of gerbils. We resolved the "population problem" by feeding the boa constrictor.

One day the department chairman heard about the pen in that office, so he took his master key and went to investigate while everyone was out. He opened the door and the rabbit hopped out between his legs. He decreed that the pen had to go, but we could still keep pets provided they were in aquariums or fully-enclosed cages.

5. Nov 30, 2013 #4
    Haha Jtbell that's a good story. I'm getting the the point where I miss life things such as pets, and time to play and enjoy video games. Of course I could theoretically get a pet as an undergrad but I spend a lot of time studying abroad and doing physics REUs and such and it would've been irresponsible to just leave a pet behind for the summer. I have time and space for one now but with my income of -20K a year, I'm not sure I can afford one ;). My landlord says I can have a lizard but I talked to friends with lizards and apparently they can cost about $30/week to feed. That's almost as much as me!

6. Dec 7, 2013 #5
    you could have a theoretical pet

7. Dec 7, 2013 #6
    Cats can spend long hours alone and they'll probably fit right in with your grad school schedule (ie: lots of sleepless nights).

Expect to have to pry them off of your notes, books, and/or computer keyboard on the days you work at home though.

8. Dec 7, 2013 #7

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Ahh...Could you tell me what animal is a "rock"???
    Or maybe you're just kidding?

P.S.
    That's the problem of learning English in non-English speaking countries!!!

And also...as a physics student...maybe a cat suits you better!(Of course to OP)

9. Dec 7, 2013 #8
    The Rock or more properly spelled the Roc is a mythical huge bird in some egyptian tales:

But steamking was probably talking in lines of (I hope...):
    Pet rock
    pointless-pets-pet-rock.jpg
    Which is much smaller and easier to take care of...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  10. Dec 7, 2013 #9

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

11. Dec 7, 2013 #10
    This threat got very silly :)

12. Dec 7, 2013 #11
    I want a huge mythical bird Enigman, where can I get one of those?

13. Dec 7, 2013 #12
    I have a cat, and do nothing. Feed it, clean litter box.

So worth it, she adores me and takes care of any vermin in the house. Sits on my lap when I'm at the computer, comes into bed with me, doesn't scratch anything besides the carpet (which I don't think does much to it).

14. Dec 7, 2013 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't call that "nothing"! Lap time and sleep time really matter to kitties!

Every cat I've had is very emotional and bonded to their humans. Not as much as dogs - I mean, they do have dignity (jeez, kidding - no hate mail, please :tongue2:!).

IMO, cats need time with their humans. So, OP, keep that in mind.

Oh and I strongly suggest getting an adult cat from a shelter, if you do decide on a cat. Kittens, like puppies and children, need a lot of interaction when they are young.

15. Dec 7, 2013 #14

jedishrfu

How about a chia pet?

16. Dec 8, 2013 #15

Evo

Yeah, dogs want to play but cats want deep emotional bonding, then they own you.

17. Dec 8, 2013 #16
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is the classic reference in these cases but Scamander seems to have neglected the Rocs entirely...the stored penseive memories are however being made into a film for the muggles and may contain some relevant information. But until then- the next authoritative sources are the sailors Sindbad and Marco Polo. The tale of Sindbad as recorded by Scheherazade: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/burt1k1/tale22.htm
    The Island is unfortunately unknown but Polo maintains the Roc is to be found in the Madagascar Islands: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/505847/roc

18. Dec 8, 2013 #17
    I've found the difference between cats and dogs is huge.

Dogs appreciate you, 'look up to you' almost, and always want your attention for the sake of getting attention. They like to play, they are generally thrilled to do anything with you.

Cats are more complex, they have their own agenda and personality. A cat showing you affection means a lot more than a dog showing you affection, in my opinion. When people say that cats "don't care" about their owners, it usually means that that owner wasn't willing to put any effort into the relationship. When my cat comes spoon with me on the couch, its not because "lol bark bark look at me bark" it means that the cat, with its complex personality, wants to do that for deeper reasons.

Basically, cats > dogs.

19. Dec 9, 2013 #18
    If I can handle having a newborn baby during math grad school, you should be able to handle a pet during physics grad school.

I will inform you as to the antecedent of that proposition in about 9 months.

20. Dec 9, 2013 #19
    :rofl:

21. Dec 10, 2013 #20

jedishrfu

At about two years on and repeated 14 years later, he may wish for a Chia Pet instead. :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook