Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PETA activist group or whacko brainwashing cult?

1. Jul 11, 2005 #1
    PETA...activist group or whacko brainwashing cult??

I recently responded to a PETA (People for the Ethical Treatmant of Animals) ad in a magazine, going to their website (www.peta2.com), being the naive fool that I am.
    Well, I was really beleiveing all the stuff until my dad caught me watching this movie called "Free Me" about animal factory farms and he told me that from his business he knew all about PETA and that he thinks they're a bunch of whacko animal rights activists that value animal life over human life.

Well, DON'T BELEIVE the stuff that PETA says!!! They send out propaganda trying to recruit kids like me to go to their site and "donate" to them to "help save animals"

did you know that less than 1% of all their donations actually go to saving animals??
    they've set fires and bombed places!!
    I can't beleive I was so dumb to beleive their overblown crap. :frown:

It's OK in my book to go vegetarian to support animal rights, but definately NOT ok to set fires and bludgeon restaurant owners!!!

I even read one article where the PETA went into a middle school and handed out propaganda booklets and did a class about it, infact it was regular classroom curricular there!

I just think this is so weird. :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Please post your source.

4. Jul 11, 2005 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

Do you have any sources of your allegations? Do you suppose PETA members get a kick out of snuff videos they make with special effects and fake blood? Do you suppose those videos are fake? What business is your father involved in?

5. Jul 11, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Im surprised hwo any of the money could go to saving animals. Isnt PETA's cause really limited to raising awareness?

6. Jul 11, 2005 #5
    The anti-vivisectionists in England --- In my understanding ---- vaue animal life above human life. Death threats against researchers that use animal models are regular.

Brits can correct me.

The BBC "nature/issues" board regularly has anti-fox-hunting threads. There seems to be considerably more negative emotion against "cruelty" to animals than what i am used to, here in the US. PETA (is this strictly a US group?) may have some of this same sort of undertone?

That being said, I think PETA has had some occasional good impact on animal research. I recall a set of experiments where, due to PETA, rats (or mice or....) were cushioned from unecessary bruising (forget the details of the experiment) by padding the experimental set up. When a simple change can be made to make "sentient" creatures more compfortable.... it seems like a good thing.

7. Jul 11, 2005 #6
    PETA funds

This was from 2000. The IRS is currently looking into there tax exempt status{2005}

8. Jul 11, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First, I will make it clear that there are a lot of people who consider themselves supporters of PETA who have good hearts in the right places. However, the founders of PETA are not so reasonable, and tend to be somewhat hypocritical as well (recently defending their employees found illegally dumping dead animals into a store's dumpster when the animals were supposedly obtained from a shelter with the intent of adopting them out rather than killing them).

However, PETA by itself is not the worst of the problems, it is the organizations they provide some funding for that are now considered the highest domestic terrorism threat in the U.S. This was recently in the news. They're the ones that are bombing labs, following researchers home and beating them or threatening their families, sending razor blades in letters, releasing lab animals into the wild (where they undoubtedly are quickly gobbled up by predators...don't fool yourself into thinking this is "freedom" for those animals), etc. Those are organizations such as ALF (Animal Liberation Front), ELF (Earth Liberation Front), and...shoot...there's another big one and I can't recall their name. The third one started out British based, targetting one specific pharmaceutical company, and when the company moved their offices to the U.S., that group followed them to the U.S. That third one is the one that has physically harmed people intentionally, by beating employees of that company and threatening their homes and families. The other organizations resort more to property damage (though you never know when some unfortunate grad student will be working in the animal facility late at night when they decide to commit arson).

9. Jul 11, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Why are htey looking into it? Everything sounds like its ok

Oh yah i remember when that ELF firebombed that car dealership. Peace and compassion my ass.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  10. Jul 11, 2005 #9
    as much as I am against "terrorism", the frustration coming from a society that shows such indifference for fellow living creatures can make a person perform desperate acts to get attention to the issue... I for one believe PETA does a great job in prodding otherwise insensitive people into noticing the suffering innocent creatures endure as a result of our thoughtlessness. Please don't call their work "propaganda".

11. Jul 11, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ya konw, in some industries, animals are treated better then some humans are treated. All of their crap is worthless when they decide to bomb things and beat up people because they thus show that they are complete hypocrits. Humans are animals too but you still see them going around beating up people and setting fires and such.

12. Jul 11, 2005 #11
    I don't think PETA actually supports beating people up or planting bombs. Obviously that would be a very, VERY stupid tactic.

13. Jul 11, 2005 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well actions speak louder then words but it could always be a few fringe idiots doing the attacks.

14. Jul 11, 2005 #13
    "fringe idiots" will always find an excuse for violence, be it animal rights, anti-globalization, anti-war (paradoxical as it may sound, anti-war people can be the most violent :smile:; I've seen them in action). You should take these issues and examine them irrespective of the attractiveness of their proponents (animal rights good, anti-globalization bad :biggrin:)

15. Jul 11, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah i think some people just join causes to mess things up. Pretty pathetic lifestyle... but then again I feel anyone who meets up with other people to go protest things is a waste of oxygen :D

Then again thank god democracy doesnt count on people like me.

16. Jul 11, 2005 #15

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From what I have read and heard, there seems to be a lot of misinformation in the first post of this thread. I suggest you read PETA's website to find out what they're really about.

Your dad is probably misinformed.

As far as I know, PETA regards animal life as on a par with human life, not above it. In particular, I think they regard the OWNERSHIP of one living thing by another as morally wrong - think slavery.

Which particular parts of their "propaganda" are untrue? Please provide examples and references to back up your claims.

References?

I don't think you'll find many people who disagree with that.

Should be more of it.

Did you think about the animal which died the last time you munched into a juicy cheeseburger?

17. Jul 11, 2005 #16
    I don't mean to insinuate, but it sounds like you took everything your dad said for granted and didn't even consider any alternatives.

18. Jul 11, 2005 #17
    but it makes people (specially young) feel very good about themselves. Joining a cause that does not affect them directly provides a sense of selflessness and righteousness... fighting for the good of the world, for the liberation and redemption of strangers... can make men and women feel like prophets. The problem comes when so much endorphins get in the way of quality reasoning.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  19. Jul 11, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

As you do not live in the US, i can understand how you are confused. What a groups website says and what there members are ... well... convicted for... can be rather contradictory in nature.

For example, the ELF. There your basic "We love the environment, we hate people who pollute" group. Well a few years ago, a few ELF members fire-bombed a car dealership. Very non-violent and im sure all the burning metal and rubber and chemicals and acids didnt do anything to the environment.

It is also true that PETA holds animal life above human life. If you'll research a particular incident in early 2003, PETA demanded Araffat stop using animals in his suicide attacks (not to stop the attacks.... just stop animals) and said that animals shouldnt be involved in human wars.

20. Jul 11, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's good to be a bit idealistic when young. I think it prevents one from becoming too bitter from cynicism as they age and get more of a dose of reality. If someone really believes in a cause, then I think they should protest. I only throw my hands up and wonder about those who seem to join up with any protest just to stand around holding a sign and chanting without understanding what it is they are protesting.

I think most people believe in what is really best called animal welfare rather than animal rights. Some really do believe animals are in every way equal to humans, but I don't think that's a majority view. The problem is the majority don't realize there's a distinction. I'm a strong proponent of animal welfare, but I'd never send a dime to PETA because I'm not a proponent of animal rights (though when I was younger, I too made the mistake of donating to them without fully understanding what their goals were...I thought it was only about preventing abuse to animals). Animal welfare means we recognize that animals are used for food, for research, for fiber, for work, and are kept as pets, but we also recognize that every effort must be made to ensure those animals are as comfortable as we can possibly make them during the time they are under our care. It doesn't mean we won't slaughter them for food, but it means we won't overcrowd them and injure them while loading them onto trucks or running them into the slaughterhouse.

21. Jul 11, 2005 #20
    Did you think much about the last salad that you took a bite out of, that was still alive while you chewed I might add?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?