PETA puts to sleep 97% of adopted pets

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary: This is where the story gets interesting.PETA contracts with a Virginia cremation service to dispose of the bodies.So, they adpoted them to save the animals from being killed only to kill them themselves and they still talk down on animal shelters? Talk about the kettle calling the pot black.Yeah... PETA is my third favourite thing--right after AIDS and Taxation Canada.
NeoDevin said:
Guilty until proven innocent, eh?

They have good lawyers.:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
NeoDevin said:
Guilty until proven innocent, eh?
There is no such "innocent" requirement on personal opinions.

~christina~ said:
Well below there is a a site that actually followed the court case where 2 PETA workers were euthanizing animals in their van and then proceded to dump the bodies in a dumpster. They did pick up animals that MAY have been euthanized in the future, however the pair of kittens that they killed may have been adopted . A dog that they picked up in their van did not need to be euthanized and was healthy. They assured the shelter people that they would "find it a good home" and they even did this in front of the people that they took those animals from. They explained that the injections were to "sedate" the animals and make them calmer for transportation, but in reality they were injecting them with sodium pentobarbital.

I don't doubt that PETA gave them the bottles of solution and ordered them to go out in their van and do this.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/Trial_Day1.cfm
I read a bit about those two and they were certainly rather crazy. I'm not so sure that PETA was supporting this especially when they apparently have a freezer somewhere for storing the bodies. Though they may have started out "working" for PETA and received their materials from them PETA may not have realized what they were doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see why anyone who wants to help domestic animals in terrible plights would ever donate there money to any organization and trust ANY organization to do it for them. Its naive and no different then those carbon credits. Just think if very single person who donated to PETA simply went out and did some local work equal to the money they spent... I wonder which situation would be better for the animals...

Saladsamurai said:
There are millions of wonderful pets waiting in shelters for a home. That's where I found my cats Legolas and Aragorn.

Those are the best cat names I've ever herd!

robertm said:
Those are the best cat names I've ever herd!

They're good, but I think that I have a couple that beat them. My mother's friend, back in the early 60's, named her Siamese 'Mousey Tongue'. My mother herself named my last cat 'Dingbat MacBeth'. This was a 20 lb. tortoiseshell will a Siamese voice, who absolutely never shut up. He'd howl all day every day. She came up with the name based upon 'Dingbat the singing cat; he sang so loud that he sang flat' from Gilbert and Sullivan, combined with 'MacBeth murders sleep' from Shakespeare.

Brilliant! Your mom has quite the talent!

TheStatutoryApe said:
I read a bit about those two and they were certainly rather crazy. I'm not so sure that PETA was supporting this especially when they apparently have a freezer somewhere for storing the bodies. Though they may have started out "working" for PETA and received their materials from them PETA may not have realized what they were doing.

You're funny...you do know that PETA actually purchased a $9,370 walk in freezer themselves? It must be for food. :wink:
=> interesting video

apparently if you look at when they pan over the tax return you see this:
Freeda the Fish costume- $1,680.47
Lettuce Lady costumes- $825.00
Walk In Freezer- $9,370.00

I personally think this money should be wasted on costumes and not only that PETA is a nonprofit organization as well.

I was just wondering where the 2 people could get the sodium pentobarbital. Could they have purchased it from a store? (is it legal)

Last edited by a moderator:
TheStatutoryApe said:
So you think they would rather see an animal suffer?
No, I'm objecting to your claim that the animals are suffering. I think you are wrong and I think they are putting perfectly healthy animals to sleep.
They were specifically taking animals from shelters that would have been euthanized anyway so that's that question... Were all of these animals they killed in a condition that required euthanization or not?
AFAIK, most animals that are euthanized at shelters are not euthenized because they are unhealthy, they are euthanized because they can't find adoptive homes. That's the point of this criticism of PETA: they are taking animals from shelters specifically for the purpose of saving them and they are not saving very many of them. They are failing in the stated goal of the program.

I'd go further to say that if PETA had a choice, they would/should only "rescue" animals that are wll enough for adoption. It would be pointless, even counterproductive, to rescue an animal that you already know you can't save.
I haven't seen an article that mentions it.
Exactly. That's why I said it's a bold claim - well, that and the lack of logic to the claim.

robertm said:
I can't see why anyone who wants to help domestic animals in terrible plights would ever donate there money to any organization and trust ANY organization to do it for them.
There is a legitimate organization that peoplc can trust to donate their money to to save/adopt animals: the SPCA.

robertm said:
I can't see why anyone who wants to help domestic animals in terrible plights would ever donate there money to any organization and trust ANY organization to do it for them. Its naive and no different then those carbon credits. Just think if very single person who donated to PETA simply went out and did some local work equal to the money they spent... I wonder which situation would be better for the animals...
I'll give you several reasons just off the top of my head:
1] people's time is at a premium, but one thing they have in spades is cash. Why not do the most good with what you have?
2] organisations can be more efficient in assigning resources - it works for food banks, disaster relief etc.
3] individuals cannot be monitored or controlled in how they act.
4] Well-meaning but unqualified citizens are a danger to both themselves and to the animals.

That last one deserves a subsection unto itself...

In short: care, rescue, medical attention and adoption are things that need qualified people to attend to. Holy Jeez - pleez - don't give people ideas that they can do this themselves!

~christina~ said:
You're funny...you do know that PETA actually purchased a $9,370 walk in freezer themselves? It must be for food. :wink:
If you look at the part of my post you quoted you'll see that I specifically mentioned the freezer. So if they have a freezer, presumably for storage of bodies, and these two crazies were working for them then why were they illegally dumping bodies someplace?
I'm not saying that these two weren't working for them but again even PETA deserves to be treated fairly and given the benefit of the doubt.
christina said:
I was just wondering where the 2 people could get the sodium pentobarbital. Could they have purchased it from a store? (is it legal)
Legally you need to be a vet to obtain or possesses it. They may have procured it illegally on their own or through PETA who probably have enough vets and the like involved to have at least obtained it legally.

Russ said:
No, I'm objecting to your claim that the animals are suffering. I think you are wrong and I think they are putting perfectly healthy animals to sleep.
snip
Exactly. That's why I said it's a bold claim - well, that and the lack of logic to the claim.
My claim was that these animals may have been suffering and may have needed to be put down but no articles (accept about the two crazies that were arrested) state anything about the health of the animals and whether or not they ought to have been put down.
You said that my claim that PETA can see the sense in putting down animals that need to be put down was bold and I found that claim to be rather bold itself. Perhaps you misunderstood my post?
Either way they specifically state that the animals were "saved" from being killed by gas or shooting which they find inhumane, and killed by lethal injection instead which they advocate as the humane method.
Whether or not PETAs actions were ultimately ethical is debatable. Whether the animals were healthy (regardless of your belief on the matter) remains unknown. And aside from the two crazies that were arrested I see no evidence that their actions were hypocritical either which I base on their own advocacy as opposed to bias views of them being nothing but fringe lunatics.

Yet again, I don't agree with or support PETA. I just think they deserve the benefit of the doubt like anyone else. So show me evidence that they were killing perfectly healthy animals rather than expressing your belief that was the case. And show me evidence that PETA fully sanctioned the actions of the two crazies that were arrested.

I think the biggest trouble here is that we don't have a lot of uncontestable facts. This is such a hot button issue that almost anyone who writes about it (and I include posts in this thread) is using second/third/nth-hand claims as source material and then further bending, folding, spindling and mutilating any shreds of truth in them until they're little more reliable than urban legends.

These "facts" are useless without context:

- Peta also killed 90% of it's animals in 2007 that it took in

- apparently if you look at when they pan over the tax return you see this: Freeda the Fish costume- $1,680.47, Lettuce Lady costumes- $825.00, Walk In Freezer- $9,370.00

Maybe we could all just take a pill.

Last edited:
Back