Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Peter Jackson Silmarillion

1. Oct 23, 2014 #1
    Does anybody know if Peter Jackson intends on making a film on the silmarillion or other works of Tolkien that have no relation to middle earth, as rare as they are?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2014 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's hope not!

4. Oct 23, 2014 #3
    I don't think he did that bad with Lord of the rings or the hobbit trilogy.He should have stopped aftr the Lord of the Rings

5. Oct 23, 2014 #4

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

PeroK, I hope you don't take offence here, but are you serious? :))

I think Peter Jackson did a fantastic job at bringing Lord of the Rings trilogy to film (they are among my list of all-time favourite movies -- I proudly own the complete DVD set), bringing Middle Earth gloriously to life.

Granted, the Hobbit trilogy is inferior to the Lord of the Rings, but given the high expectations that's not surprising, and it's still solidly entertaining.

I haven't heard of any news about Jackson working on the Silmarillion (given that the books were unfinished prior to Tolkien's death, there may be some challenge in presenting a coherent film or films out of it), but I would be interested in taking a look if he decides to take it on.

6. Oct 23, 2014 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I hope not. The Silmarillion isn't a story so much as backstory. As such it would make a boring 2 hours. Or ten.

7. Oct 23, 2014 #6
    Yes, the Silmarillion isn't a story but it contains some stories that are definitely worth to be made into a film. But that could went terrible wrong. Just imagine what Disney would make of the tale of Beren and Lúthien!

8. Oct 23, 2014 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In fact The silmarillion reads more like a history than a novel.

9. Oct 23, 2014 #8
    Yes the silmarilion is more of a history. It is about the two trees telperion and laurelin. It would be hard for Peter Jackson to make a movie on the history of middle earth of the lost tales, but I think the silmarillion is possible.

10. Oct 23, 2014 #9
    I am also quite proud to own the extended special edition(12 discs) of the trilogy with included guides. But they are not as good as the books. Nobody can say that Jackson didn't make an effort he did the film in three versions cartoon, animated and with puppets as they showed on the bonus material.

11. Oct 23, 2014 #10

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a story. I worked in IT and (many years ago) my colleague and I were asked to fix some Unix system but the root password had been forgotten. After a few minutes, my friend had got in and I asked him what the password had been. "Gandalf" he said. I looked puzzled. "That means something, does it?" I asked. "Yes", he said, and smiled as though there was no hope for me!

12. Oct 23, 2014 #11

strangerep

Science Advisor

PJ does not have rights to the Silmarillion, nor various other Tolkien works.
    This blog has more information, mostly depressing.

13. Oct 25, 2014 #12
    Peter Jackson produced the LOTR and Hobbit movies in the same manner that Tolkien wrote them years ago. What is history if not stories to be developed? There are hundreds of stories that could be developed from the Silmarillion. If PJ did do the Simarillion it would be just as good as the LOTR and the Hobbit movies.

I grew up reading LOTR and The Hobbit many times and I can say that PJ did +10 job of setting the environment exactly the way it was in the stories.

14. Oct 25, 2014 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Recently, while discussing the books at work, a young lad of 30 expressed shock and surprise to hear that, before they had been movies, LotR had been ... books!

He thought the whole story was new.

Imagine his astonishment at my telling him how long ago the books had been written...

15. Oct 26, 2014 #14

strangerep

Science Advisor

Ha. Try explaining to him the reason why Tolkien seems to go a bit over the top about the close relationships between the Riders of Rohan and their horses. Hint. :cool:

16. Oct 26, 2014 #15
    I would not think so. In the first Hobbit Peter Jackson revived a long dead orc (Azog, as most of you probably know) and incorparated radagast who did not apear in the original hobbit by Tolkien. But he did keep the general structure but added a lot of material from other books.

17. Oct 26, 2014 #16

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

I'd rather say it would be just as good as LOTR, or just as bad as the Hobbit. Considering how bloated yet vacuous he made the Hobbit, stretching the short, simple story thin across three movies, I'm pretty sure the Silmarilion would get a similar treatment.

18. Oct 26, 2014 #17
    I do not understand why he made 3 films for the hobbit and the lord of the rings. If the lord of the rings has six books over about 1000 pages including apendixi three films are suiting. But the hobbit barely has 300 pages, so he would have to fill in lots that is not in the hobbit.

19. Oct 26, 2014 #18

esuna

Gold Member

I think a movie focused on The Children of Hurin would be pretty cool. As for the entire Silmarillion I don't know. It would be like trying to make a movie (or movies) out of the entire bible.

20. Oct 26, 2014 #19

strangerep

Science Advisor

Yeah -- but if done unashamedly it would have nudity.

(Hmm,... which was the last Peter Jackson film that had nudity?)

21. Oct 26, 2014 #20

strangerep

Science Advisor

You think the Silmarilion is a "short, simple story"??

I would have said that "the life and times of Beren & Luthien" would need 2-3 movies just by itself, if done properly. :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook