1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Petition to offer a class?

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    My University offers relatively few math classes in the summer - and no upper level/math electives. I have been advised by a professor that if a petition for a class was created, there *might* be a chance of that class being offered during the summer.

I talked to the next person of interest in the math department who confirmed this, but said that mostly the lack of offerings has to do with budget. However he did note that it's worth a try. If enough people are interested the university might open a class. (Finding professors to teach it is not a problem - they would all love to do something other than pre-calc/calc during the summer).

Has anybody ever done anything like this? I'm wondering if there is a standard format for such a petition.

-Dave K

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2
    It's been done at my University, though there's no standard format. I'd suggest getting the word out at a few classes (maybe having some other students advertise as well) and asking students to email you if they're interested in the course. Once you have a sizeable number, you can bring it to the attention of the department.

4. Mar 18, 2013 #3
    I've e-mailed the professor of my linear algebra class to ask him if it's ok to hand out the petition there, since the class I'm requesting is usually taken after it. That's a start.

E-mailed the registrar to see if they have any kind of format they would like to see. Though I'm not even sure it's going to them. I wish I could find at least one example of it being done before. But I have a template at least.

-Dave K

5. Apr 4, 2013 #4
    We did this successfully here, that's how we got a second section of analysis II for undergrads. We were told to get 20 signatures for it to even be considered, and we did, and only about 6 people ended up taking the class, but they still let us keep it. So it is at least possible.

You might want o talk to Alex about it, he was the one who organized it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook