1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Petroleum or Mining?

1. Jan 10, 2009 #1
    I'm currently in 3'rd year mining engineering at a Canadian university, there is no actual "Petroleum Engineering" program here, it is done as a Mining degree with a petroleum option. I'm more interested in the petroleum side of the industry, but with the current situation concerning the oil and gas sector, I'm kind of worried. Whichever road I choose, it shouldn't be too difficult to get a job upon graduation, but I'm unsure about the industries future due to the "green" shift among other things. What are other people's thoughts on the future of the industry?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2009 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

No worries...at least for the next 50 years. The world may certainly shift toward the green but the need for oil and gas isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

CS

4. Jan 12, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And as petroleum reserves are used up it gets harder to find new ones - so more R+D and more demand for experts.
    We are seeing that in the North Sea, even as major fields are running down the investment in high tech (ROVs, sonar, modelling etc ) is going up.

5. Jan 12, 2009 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Yeah we just spent about 70,000 USD last year on a software program to model deepsea drilling risers. My company actual has a hard time finding good help in our industry.

CS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?