Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF 1 Year subscription auto renewed for a higher price?

1. Jun 14, 2007 #1
    PF 1 Year subscription auto renewed for a higher price!?

I checked my email this morning and noticed that I had an email from PayPal saying that I had "sent $25.00 USD to Greg Bernhardt as a subscription payment." So, I logged into PayPal and sure enough, there was a transaction.

First off, I did not authorize automatic renewal nor did I have a billing agreement with PhysicsForums.

Second off, the website says that a 1-year subscription is $15 USD... which means that I was overcharged.

Third off, I checked all around my PF control panel and cannot find any information on how to turn off the automatic renewal.

I just don't think this is at all acceptable.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2007 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Send Greg a private message. I'm sure he'll make it right.
  4. Jun 14, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

PF doesn't control PayPal -- we can't make PayPal send us money from your bank account! It sounds like you somehow accidentally configured PayPal to send money every year, but I don't know why. Definitely send Greg a PM -- he will either refund your money (if you wish that) or refund the overcharge. I would also check with PayPal to figure out why it happened in the first place. This is (honestly, no kidding) the first time anyone has ever complained about something like this, so let us know what you figure out. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

- Warren
  5. Jun 14, 2007 #4
    I thought all the money went to the sisterhood:surprised
  6. Jun 14, 2007 #5

Staff: Mentor

Sssssshhhhh!!! :uhh:
  7. Jun 14, 2007 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same thing happened to me, but Greg gave me a refund right away. I called PayPal and they changed something so I wouldn't automatically renew the subscription next year.
  8. Jun 14, 2007 #7
    It all depends on when you first signed up for a subscription and what the settings where then. As we configure settings and as the forum software is upgraded there often times discrepancies with the separate paypal system. I will refund you your money once I get back into town (17th).
  9. Jun 14, 2007 #8

Homework Helper

*WHAT*? I knew something was wrong here... :devil::tongue:
  10. Jun 14, 2007 #9

Staff: Mentor

I think I have autorenewal, but I don't bother to check. I trust Greg.

PF is worth more than $25/yr anyway. :biggrin:
  11. Jun 14, 2007 #10
    Even that last reply won't earn you a discount Astro :rofl:
    You should try flattering the sisterhood, they are the real money ....ehemmmm.... power holders :uhh:
  12. Jun 14, 2007 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I recall there being a glitch with PayPal back a while ago (around the last time I renewed I think, so that would fit with the timing of this), where it was requiring you to create a PayPal account to autorenew in order to become a contributor. I know because it tried to do that to me, and I promptly posted here about it (I just cancelled the transaction at that point before signing up). Greg did get it fixed right away (within hours) but I'm guessing there will be at least a few others who became contributors at a similar time who will encounter this problem if they didn't notice it when signing up.

If it happens to anyone else, let Greg know right away. And, it would be helpful if someone finds an easier way than calling PayPal to turn off the autorenewal feature once it's started for them to post instructions here in case anyone else needs that information.
  13. Jun 20, 2007 #12
    It's now the 20th... I don't mind paying to be a contributor, It's just that I don't feel right about being overcharged for it. If I could get the difference back then that would work out great.
  14. Jun 20, 2007 #13

PM me your paypal addy
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?