PF an Example for Other Sites: Learning Something?

• Thread starter CompuChip
  • Start date
In summary, SE is good for authoritative answers to specific questions, but not so good for discussions.
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting... I wasn't aware that StackExchange has a policy against discussion or even asking clarifying questions. I don't happen to visit there regularly, only when it comes up in a link or a Google search.

The basic objectives of Stackexchange are completely different from both the homework forums and discussion forums on PF.

With your help, we're working together to build a library of detailed answers to every question about programming.

We're a little bit different from other sites. Here's how: Ask questions, get answers, no distractions

This site is all about getting answers. It's not a discussion forum. There's no chit-chat.
... from http://stackoverflow.com/tour

SE doesn't want chit chat, but their members keep trying to chit chat and hold discussions. Looks like what SE wants and what their members want are 2 different things? Just my observation. I don't really go there. Just find it curious.

Why is their gaming section spelled "arqade"?

Last edited:
Evo said:
SE doesn't want chit chat, but their members keep trying to chit chat and hold discussions. Looks like what SE wants and what their members want are 2 different things? Just my observation.

That's just human nature.

On the other hand, if I want information about some esoteric feature of a computer programming language, I don't want to wade through discussion, I just want an authoritative answer, and preferably one that exists already, rather than having to ask a new question and wait.

For example, PF doesn't exist to answer this sort of question, but Google found the SE thread for me a couple of days ago and it was exactly what I needed.
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questi...-page-group-included-in-a-single-page-warning

I think a place to find a quick answer is a great idea. I had no idea that was what they were supposed to be. Ultimately if they plan to delete all of the discussions and just make it a list of answers, I think that will be a great resource. Kind of like a very streamlined encyclopedia.

For some kinds of questions SE is great. For some not so. I often find what I need there while coding (just like AlephZero).

jtbell said:
Interesting... I wasn't aware that StackExchange has a policy against discussion or even asking clarifying questions. I don't happen to visit there regularly, only when it comes up in a link or a Google search.

I visit it - and mostly StackOverflow - a lot lately; it often offers quick solutions to the problems I tend to run into at my IT job. But I think their atmosphere of self-moderation and downvotes is sometimes a bit ... erm, is "harsh" too harsh a word? As others have said, it's quite useful as a library of answers (just type your compiler error and you find 10 people with the same problem), but not so much a discussion forum.

Unfortunately my smaller involvement in physics and mathematics together with other commitments in my free time also means smaller involvement in PF. But I still love this site very much and I'm curious about the 4.0 version!

Likes 1 person
Evo said:
SE doesn't want chit chat, but their members keep trying to chit chat and hold discussions. Looks like what SE wants and what their members want are 2 different things?

More likely some of their members want one thing and others want another. We see the same phenomenon, except in the other direction - we don't want to be just an answers site, but that doesn't stop a fair number new members from wanting us to just give them answers.

In the real world, organizations depend on brand identity to set expectations; nobody visits the Lamborghini dealership expecting to buy a station wagon and nobody visits the Jeep dealership in search of an autocross car. What we're seeing with PF and SE is that neither site has successfully established a brand identity yet.

Nugatory said:
More likely some of their members want one thing and others want another. We see the same phenomenon, except in the other direction - we don't want to be just an answers site, but that doesn't stop a fair number new members from wanting us to just give them answers.

In the real world, organizations depend on brand identity to set expectations; nobody visits the Lamborghini dealership expecting to buy a station wagon and nobody visits the Jeep dealership in search of an autocross car. What we're seeing with PF and SE is that neither site has successfully established a brand identity yet.

Congratulations for becoming a mentor Nugatory :)

Can you please explain the bold part ? I suppose you mean that, had PF established a brand identity, people wouldn't come to PF to request direct answers to homework questions ?
But I suppose that brand identity is linked to popularity, is it possible that PF gets popular enough that a random person who wants to do his homework through the internet for the first time and wants a direct answer to his homework, would realize that SE and not PF is where he should go ?
If not, doesn't that mean that it's impossible to establish a brand identity, and people will always come to PF and request a direct answer ?

1. What is PF an Example for Other Sites?

PF (Portfolio Framework) is a digital platform that allows users to create and showcase their work, skills, and accomplishments in a visually appealing and organized manner. It serves as an example for other sites by providing an efficient and user-friendly way for individuals and companies to display their portfolios online.

2. How does PF help users learn something?

PF provides a variety of features and tools that allow users to customize and design their portfolios according to their needs and preferences. This process of creating and managing a portfolio on PF can help users learn important skills such as web design, digital marketing, and project management.

3. Can I use PF for free?

Yes, PF offers a free version that allows users to create a basic portfolio with limited features. However, there is also a paid version with more advanced features and customization options for a monthly or yearly subscription fee.

4. Is PF suitable for all types of portfolios?

Yes, PF is a versatile platform that can accommodate various types of portfolios, including but not limited to photography, graphic design, writing, and web development. Its customizable templates and layouts make it suitable for any type of creative or professional portfolio.

5. Is PF a secure platform for displaying my work?

Yes, PF takes security and privacy very seriously. It uses SSL encryption to protect user data and offers password protection options for individual portfolios. Additionally, PF has a team of experts constantly monitoring the platform for any potential security threats.