Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF as an example

1. Sep 5, 2014 #1

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2014 #2
  4. Sep 5, 2014 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Interesting... I wasn't aware that StackExchange has a policy against discussion or even asking clarifying questions. I don't happen to visit there regularly, only when it comes up in a link or a Google search.

5. Sep 5, 2014 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The basic objectives of Stackexchange are completely different from both the homework forums and discussion forums on PF.

... from http://stackoverflow.com/tour

6. Sep 5, 2014 #5

Evo

SE doesn't want chit chat, but their members keep trying to chit chat and hold discussions. Looks like what SE wants and what their members want are 2 different things? Just my observation. I don't really go there. Just find it curious.

Why is their gaming section spelled "arqade"?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  7. Sep 5, 2014 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's just human nature.

On the other hand, if I want information about some esoteric feature of a computer programming language, I don't want to wade through discussion, I just want an authoritative answer, and preferably one that exists already, rather than having to ask a new question and wait.

For example, PF doesn't exist to answer this sort of question, but Google found the SE thread for me a couple of days ago and it was exactly what I needed.
    http://tex.stackexchange.com/questi...-page-group-included-in-a-single-page-warning

8. Sep 5, 2014 #7

Evo

I think a place to find a quick answer is a great idea. I had no idea that was what they were supposed to be. Ultimately if they plan to delete all of the discussions and just make it a list of answers, I think that will be a great resource. Kind of like a very streamlined encyclopedia.

9. Sep 5, 2014 #8

Borek

For some kinds of questions SE is great. For some not so. I often find what I need there while coding (just like AlephZero).

10. Sep 8, 2014 #9

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I visit it - and mostly StackOverflow - a lot lately; it often offers quick solutions to the problems I tend to run into at my IT job. But I think their atmosphere of self-moderation and downvotes is sometimes a bit ... erm, is "harsh" too harsh a word? As others have said, it's quite useful as a library of answers (just type your compiler error and you find 10 people with the same problem), but not so much a discussion forum.

Unfortunately my smaller involvement in physics and mathematics together with other commitments in my free time also means smaller involvement in PF. But I still love this site very much and I'm curious about the 4.0 version!

11. Sep 8, 2014 #10

Nugatory

More likely some of their members want one thing and others want another. We see the same phenomenon, except in the other direction - we don't want to be just an answers site, but that doesn't stop a fair number new members from wanting us to just give them answers.

In the real world, organizations depend on brand identity to set expectations; nobody visits the Lamborghini dealership expecting to buy a station wagon and nobody visits the Jeep dealership in search of an autocross car. What we're seeing with PF and SE is that neither site has successfully established a brand identity yet.

12. Sep 9, 2014 #11

Intrastellar

Gold Member

Congratulations for becoming a mentor Nugatory :)

Can you please explain the bold part ? I suppose you mean that, had PF established a brand identity, people wouldn't come to PF to request direct answers to homework questions ?
    But I suppose that brand identity is linked to popularity, is it possible that PF gets popular enough that a random person who wants to do his homework through the internet for the first time and wants a direct answer to his homework, would realise that SE and not PF is where he should go ?
    If not, doesn't that mean that it's impossible to establish a brand identity, and people will always come to PF and request a direct answer ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook