School Firewall: No Match for My Tech Skills!

In summary, the school's firewall blocks access to a homework help site because of the site's popularity and the fact that the school administrator or AT knows about it.
JamesU
Gold Member
My school's computers all have firewalls.

I tried to go here real quick, and it was blocked!

Not a problem, my school's firewall sucks, and I know how to get past it :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably use a proxy. Why would they block PF?!

sometimes they say that 'chat rooms aren't allowed. but this isn't chat!

Why would they block a homework help site?

because they're stupid. This has to be the crappiest firewall ever, I just click the little eye at the bottom of the window, and lower the settings! :rofl:

Evo said:
Why would they block a homework help site?
Because GD is infamous all through out the world. :biggrin:
They know yomamma isn't here for the homework help. :wink:

I could forgive them if they blocked GD, but the whole site?!

How much do they allow of other sites on the internet? Are they perhaps only permitting some sites and just blocking everything else they don't know about? Maybe you can give them the address for the homework help page so they can see for themselves that this is a good site for students so they will allow it? It's possible they have filter settings that just pick up certain key words on sites, and since the biology forum talks about biology, they might be filtering it based on some keywords picked up there. There are also a lot of safe sex sites and other sites that provided educational materials about reproduction that get blocked at schools just because the word "sex" shows up somewhere on the site (or a lot of places), even though it's not used at all in a lewd or otherwise inappropriate way. Firewalls aren't usually very intelligent.

Have you tried using a proxy? That always worked getting around my high school blocked sites.

wuts'a proxy?

oh... but then I can't view PF.

yomamma said:
oh... but then I can't view PF.
http://ebypass.org/
I did have several memorized but I can't remember them right now...

You should see an school administrator, or AT and complain that you use this site very much at home for help with your math and/or physics/science homework, they'll view the site, and will obviously see it is purely educational. After they take it off the list, then you can chat in GD all you want!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if our principal approves of GD...

Could they have seen your avatar picture and not approve of it? It makes perfect sense then.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Firewalls aren't usually very intelligent.

Amen to that. At my old school, there was a firewall which seemed to just block pages at random. On an online atlas, I couldn't access entries for Canada or China. I never did figure out why...

yomamma said:
I could forgive them if they blocked GD, but the whole site?!
And all of us would be grateful! :tongue2:

Proxies are going to be hit-or-miss here. We've already disallowed many IPs that many proxies use. Too many of our 'troublechilden' use them to get around IP bans.

I was at my grandparents house not to long ago and got the your coming from an evil proxy message. I actually had to use a proxy to visit this site when I was at their house.

What is a school firewall?

A school firewall is a security system that is put in place to protect a school's network and prevent unauthorized access from outside sources.

Why is a school firewall important?

A school firewall is important because it helps to protect sensitive information, such as student and staff data, from being accessed by hackers or malicious individuals. It also helps to prevent cyber attacks and maintain a safe and secure network environment for students and staff.

Can a school firewall be bypassed?

While a school firewall is designed to be a strong defense against external threats, it is not 100% foolproof. Skilled hackers or individuals with advanced tech skills may be able to find ways to bypass a school firewall. However, having a firewall is still important as it can significantly reduce the risk of a cyber attack.

How can I bypass a school firewall?

I do not condone or support any attempts to bypass a school firewall. It is important to respect the school's security measures and use the network for educational purposes only.

What can I do if I believe a school firewall is blocking legitimate access?

If you are having trouble accessing a legitimate website or resource due to the school firewall, you can reach out to the school's IT department for assistance. They may be able to make adjustments to the firewall settings to allow access to the specific website or resource.