PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, bloggers would be expected to write on a regular basis, but they don't have to write every day. If they demonstrate n00bage on a blog, that's okay.
If PF started a science blog featuring news bits, commentary/opinions, articles, reviews, interesting links... would people be interesting in reading the blog and or being a blogger for it? For example anything in ZapperZ's journal could be a blog item. Just surveying for interest at this time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like it would be interesting. So, it would be one blog that everyone shared, right?

Moonbear said:
Sounds like it would be interesting. So, it would be one blog that everyone shared, right?

Right, but only staff and appointed members could post.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Okay, so if all you're looking for are people interested in reading, I'll certainly read if it's there. I might even be willing to write an article or two if invited and if there's a topic I could write on that would fit in with what you have in mind for the blog.

Moonbear said:
Okay, so if all you're looking for are people interested in reading, I'll certainly read if it's there. I might even be willing to write an article or two if invited and if there's a topic I could write on that would fit in with what you have in mind for the blog.

It's not so much articles as is ahort commentary, news and opinions. We could really use you in a biology category :smile: For example say you found out something neat or have commentary on a news item, that is something you can post. I suppose a lot of what you post in your journals could be blog material for example.

Also for anyone, if your interested in being a blog author please let me know.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
appointed members!?

Last edited:
If you build it, I will read.

Would bloggers be expected to write on a regular basis or could they just write whenever?

i think this is a great idea. i am certainly in.

marlon

Sounds rather intriguing,i must say...:wink: Too bad i can't write :cry:

Neither paint,nor sing...

Daniel.

honestrosewater said:
If you build it, I will read.

Would bloggers be expected to write on a regular basis or could they just write whenever?

Whenever you want within reason, I think atleast once a week is fair. It doesn't take that much to write a blog item. Alot of what is being written in the journals can be blog items for example. Again if you want to be a blogger let me know asap. The blog should be ready within a day or two.

The blog is live:
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog [Broken]

Expect daily postings

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
The blog is live:
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog [Broken]

Expect daily postings
That was quick!

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg is a man of action. :approve:

:biggrin: exellent! now I have something to be mad about because I can't write! :biggrin:

I didn't know what a 'blog' was until I looked at it, but I like it. Unfortunately, I have very little time to read. ZZ's article fascintated me for a few minutes, and then I had to stop. I'll definitely finish it when I can, and continue to check it out. As for helping out, I'm the opposite of Dex; I can write reasonably well, but don't know anything to write about. Maybe if we get together, we can be one contributor.

That was great.I've just finished my registration.When I realized I couldn't choose my password at first,I was about to forget about it but luckily the password was short and easy :smile: (you can't believe it I still can't make my account active coz my password is too long and I always make a mistake when I want to type it :cry: )

Lisa! said:
That was great.I've just finished my registration.When I realized I couldn't choose my password at first,I was about to forget about it but luckily the password was short and easy :smile: (you can't believe it I still can't make my account active coz my password is too long and I always make a mistake when I want to type it :cry: )
I'm confuzed :confused:

yomamma said:
I'm confuzed :confused:
go through the blog and register,so you may understand what I'm saying!but don't forget you'll be a n00b there!

If I demonstrate n00bage on a blog, then that's okay.

how do you register anyway?

come on!You know better than me :confused:
go through the blog and on the right side of the page under "Meta",click Register...

Wow, that was fast. I would write, but I'm not sure that I could add much. Maybe in the near future, after I get a feel for what is appropriate.

my password was never emailed to me (?) does anyone else have this problem...?

Yes,how about you post your e-mail address & your password and let me do some research...?

I'm sure i could see what the problem really is. :devil:

Daniel.

okay, I got it. it says my username is yo\\\' mamma and it tells me my password but it says incorect username. I've tried:
yomamma
yo'mamma
yo' mamma
yo'\\\mamma
etc.

i am just wondering. What kind of texts do you guys want for the content of this blog ? I mean shouldn't it be about the science and not some guy's personal favourite QM-textbooks ? What is the use in that ? Just wondering...

I do think this is a great initiative with lots of potential, Greg.

regards
marlon

marlon said:
i am just wondering. What kind of texts do you guys want for the content of this blog ? I mean shouldn't it be about the science and not some guy's personal favourite QM-textbooks ? What is the use in that ? Just wondering...
No, that is exactly what people like about blogs -- reading entertaining/controversial opinions from people they know and respect. A blog is not a replacement for a news service, it is more like a talk radio station.

jma2001 said:
No, that is exactly what people like about blogs -- reading entertaining/controversial opinions from people they know and respect. A blog is not a replacement for a news service, it is more like a talk radio station.

I couldn't have explained it better myself! :smile:

What do you mean yomamma?For sure you've chosen your username by yourself.so how don't you know what it is?! :confused: (1 thing I forgot to mention,yomamma is a n00b there even if you change it alittle there! :wink: )

jma2001 said:
ohh, so it is about personal opinions. Ok, did not realize that. I thought is was going to be about science.

Thanks for clarifying that.

If i want to share an opinion on this blog, how do i do this ?

regards and thanks again

marlon

marlon said:
ohh, so it is about personal opinions. Ok, did not realize that. I thought is was going to be about science.

Thanks for clarifying that.

If i want to share an opinion on this blog, how do i do this ?

regards and thanks again

marlon

It is about science, think talk radio for science. Here are some blog examples to see the format and writing style of blogs:

http://www.sixthform.info/maths/index.php
http://www.physics.uiuc.edu/blog.htm
http://javablogs.xyling.com/ [Broken]
http://www.j2eegeek.com/blog/

Checkout my latest blog post. It's casual like that.

Last edited:
marlon said:
Think about the difference between CNN, and Rush Limbaugh. CNN is just supposed to report the news, as objectively as they can. Rush Limbaugh reports the news and then comments on it, usually in a controversial manner. Whether you agree with him or not, you listen because you find it entertaining, or because you love to hate him. A science blog is about science in the same way that Limbaugh's radio show is about politics.

Here are two examples of science bloggers who are controversial in an intelligent way: Peter Woit and Lubos Motl. Their blogs are mainly about string theory -- Lubos is a supporter, Peter is a critic (kind of like "Crossfire" for physics). I find them entertaining reads even though I don't understand half of what they are talking about!

Peter Woit:
http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/blog/

Lubos Motl:
http://motls.blogspot.com/

For those of you who have registered you can login and submit a blog post here: https://www.physicsforums.com/blog/wp-admin [Broken]

Last edited:
Greg,why didn't you do an escape to the forum main page ?From the Blog's main page,there's no link on that page to www.physicsforums.com.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Greg,why didn't you do an escape to the forum main page ?From the Blog's main page,there's no link on that page to www.physicsforums.com.

Daniel.

I'll add one tonight

<h2>What is the purpose of the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?"</h2><p>The purpose of the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?" is to gather information and feedback from readers of the PF Blog. This survey helps the blog owners understand the interests and preferences of their audience, which can help guide future content and improve the overall reader experience.</p><h2>How do I participate in the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?"</h2><p>To participate in the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?", simply click on the survey link provided by the blog owners. This will take you to the survey where you can answer the questions and provide your feedback.</p><h2>Is the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?" anonymous?</h2><p>Yes, the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?" is anonymous. The blog owners will not collect any personal information from participants, and all responses will be kept confidential. This allows participants to provide honest and unbiased feedback.</p><h2>What types of questions are included in the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?"</h2><p>The "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?" includes a variety of questions related to the blog's content, design, and overall reader experience. These questions may include multiple-choice, open-ended, and rating scale questions.</p><h2>Why should I take the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?"</h2><p>Taking the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?" is a great way to have your voice heard and provide valuable feedback to the blog owners. Your responses can help shape the future of the blog and ensure that the content and experience align with your interests and preferences.</p>

What is the purpose of the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?"

The purpose of the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?" is to gather information and feedback from readers of the PF Blog. This survey helps the blog owners understand the interests and preferences of their audience, which can help guide future content and improve the overall reader experience.

How do I participate in the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?"

To participate in the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?", simply click on the survey link provided by the blog owners. This will take you to the survey where you can answer the questions and provide your feedback.

Is the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?" anonymous?

Yes, the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?" is anonymous. The blog owners will not collect any personal information from participants, and all responses will be kept confidential. This allows participants to provide honest and unbiased feedback.

What types of questions are included in the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?"

The "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?" includes a variety of questions related to the blog's content, design, and overall reader experience. These questions may include multiple-choice, open-ended, and rating scale questions.

Why should I take the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?"

Taking the "PF Blog - Interest Survey: Are You In?" is a great way to have your voice heard and provide valuable feedback to the blog owners. Your responses can help shape the future of the blog and ensure that the content and experience align with your interests and preferences.