PF Chat Returns Oct 5th | All Access Full Week

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
Great news! PF Chat will return this coming Sunday Oct 5th! We'll kick things off with a all access chat for a full week. After that it will be for Gold members only, but we'll have our usual all access Sunday Chat Events.

Below is a preview showcasing some features. There is an option for pop out which can go full width.

To access the chat on sunday there will be a link in the header navigation between Forums and Members. There will also be a widget on the right homepage sidebar.

Attachments

• chatpreview.png
    chatpreview.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 501
Likes StevieTNZ, Intrastellar, nonequilibrium and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
I am!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
YAY FOR CHAT!

Likes StevieTNZ and Greg Bernhardt
Oh man you bet that we're excited...! :D

Likes Greg Bernhardt
yay i was looking for it now its coming back!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
This thread's title is a lie. The chat is not back yet, it'll be back soon =((

Yay!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Anyone excited for chat to be back?
Of course. :L:k:L

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm excited for a chance to learn chat!

(I didn't take the opportunity before. Reading posts just before the migration about rescuing a Jetsons theme and sounds, I missed out on something way cool.)

Where is the chat?

Chat is open
https://www.physicsforums.com/chat/

There is also a link in the header nav where you can select a pop up version.

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm new here so this chat feature is new to me, but none the less I am excited!
P.S. to anyone questioning the veracity of the title of this thread: you have to be pretty narrow minded to call it a lie. In fact, the philosophy behind Heisenberg's uncertainty principle allowed for complete truthfulness; and error in uncertainty allows it!

The chat seems to be always empty nowadays ://.. I think people don't like the current chat, hence none joins.

@Greg Bernhardt, is it not possible to have an IRC channel instead? Mentors would be admins of said channel (@) and gold members could have voice (+). That way, it could be open to the entire community and gold members would have a reason to buy gold.

If you don't want the chat to steal content from the forums, then you could ban lengthy Physics/Math/W/E related questions/discussions there.

Last edited:
I'm always a fan of an IRC channel.

Likes DataGG
This will be the last week all members will be able to use the chat 24/7. Starting next week it will be reserved for gold members. Then our usual Sunday chat events for everyone will be active.

Greg Bernhardt said:

I would be more excited if I could type fast enough to keep up with the flow of conversations:(

Chat is now disabled for normal users. Chat will be open to all on PF Chat Sundays like before. When the chat opens you will see a notice at the top of the site telling you so. If you want 24/7 chat access please upgrade your account here https://www.physicsforums.com/account/upgrades

Greg Bernhardt said:
Chat is now disabled for normal users. Chat will be open to all on PF Chat Sundays like before. When the chat opens you will see a notice at the top of the site telling you so. If you want 24/7 chat access please upgrade your account here https://www.physicsforums.com/account/upgrades

I'm a Gold member and can't access chat.

Rocket50 said:
I'm a Gold member and can't access chat.
Looking into it, thanks

Greg Bernhardt said:
Looking into it, thanks
Greg Bernhardt said:
ok it should be back now for gold members
Six minutes to fix. Where else could one get this kind of service? :)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Sadly not. I'm locked out again.

I'm trying to fix some wonky permissions. You should be able to get back in now.

Works for me now, thanks!

Greg Bernhardt said:
It will be unstable again at some point
Unstable using unstable = I'll likely never notice any problem:)

Ok I think the permissions are now correct. On Sundays the chat will be open for all. All other days it's reserved for Gold, SA, HH, Staff members.

Thanks Greg, I know this has taken more time than you expected.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I tried chatting at 17:39 PST, Sunday, November 9, and while I could load the page and see the others' activity, I couldn't respond. When I tried, I got:

The following error occurred:
You do not have permission to post messages

A possible problem: which time zone. My time of failure is Monday relative to UTC, so that may make a difference. I'm succeeding now, and it's still Sunday in UTC.

I was kicked off again, this time at 17:29 PST, or 0:29 UTC Monday. So its "Sunday" seems to be UTC Sunday. I should try late Saturday PST next time.

Sorry froggy, hopefully Greg will fix the time problem.

@Greg Bernhardt

1. What is "PF Chat Returns Oct 5th | All Access Full Week"?

"PF Chat Returns Oct 5th | All Access Full Week" is an event where the popular online platform PF Chat will be returning on October 5th for a full week of access to all its features.

2. When will "PF Chat Returns Oct 5th | All Access Full Week" take place?

The event will take place on October 5th and will last for a full week, ending on October 11th.

3. Will there be any new features or updates during "PF Chat Returns Oct 5th | All Access Full Week"?

Yes, there will be new features and updates released during the event. These may include bug fixes, new chat rooms, and improved user interface.

4. Can I access "PF Chat Returns Oct 5th | All Access Full Week" for free?

Yes, the event is open to all users and will not require any additional fees or subscriptions.

5. How can I participate in "PF Chat Returns Oct 5th | All Access Full Week"?

To participate, simply log into your PF Chat account on October 5th and you will have full access to all features for the entire week.