Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF chat

1. Oct 17, 2003 #1
    What's up with that dopey chat room? It pops up every time I log on today, but it's broken.

In Mozilla 1.2.1 the chat window appears & I can see what others post, but it won't take my posts. And, there's a bunch of garbage (I guess some html code) scattered at the bottom of the screen.
    But at least with that one I can click on "return to the forums" and get here.

On my laptop, in MozillaFirebird, all I get when I log on is a white page of html code, and I can't get into the forums at all.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2003 #2
    Yea the same thing happened to me, must be a problem somewhere, but the chatroom itself worked fine, i just didnt wanna be there.
  4. Oct 17, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to have Java enabled (says the computer illiterate, lol)

You can browse the forums and chat at the same time:
    *open two browser windows
    *in one click at the lower left button "return to the forums"
    *in the other click "join chat"

and you are all set to go! Just avoid pressing the main logo, as that will ruin the setup..
  5. Oct 17, 2003 #4
    I have had Java enabled in both of these browsers already. Doesn't work.

What browser are you using, Monique?
  6. Oct 17, 2003 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Internet Explorer 6.0
  7. Oct 17, 2003 #6
    Thought so.

So the chat is only for Microsoft lovers?
  8. Oct 17, 2003 #7
    Yea its 6 for me aswell.
  9. Oct 17, 2003 #8

jimmy p

Gold Member

Hey yeah i get that dumb PF chat thing..there is only like one other person on there...prob havin a monologue lol I have I.E. 6.0 too but i didnt understand what u were talking about (i have a short attention span) All i do is go to the bottom of the chat box and click on return to Forum...
  10. Oct 17, 2003 #9

Staff Emeritus

I got it to work with mozilla just fine. It must be the linux that's make it work.

EVIL MSFT!!!
  11. Oct 17, 2003 #10
    I don't know. Someone must be screwing around with the board software because I haven't changed anything on my browser (MozillaFirebird). The browser is working fine everyplace else. I just tried to log onto a Yahoo chat & it works fine there.

Here, it seemed to be working perfectly for a little while (about 3 hours ago). After I logged in, it put me into the chat, which looked like it was working OK.
    But now its messed up again. When I log on, it asks me to log in, & as soon as I do it gives me a completely non-functioning white page filled with code.

The only way I can get in here now is to fill in the url of a specific forum from my history file, & then log in when I want to post.
  12. Oct 17, 2003 #11
    I get the same with Moz Firebird. I see a bunch of code, and can get the chat page itself to load only by refreshing a few times. I don't have Java enabled so I don't know if chat would work. The Return link takes me back here. [b(]

Must be a non-MS thing. Even the output on the forums doesn't look very nice in Mozilla -- bad table widths, backgrounds.
  13. Oct 17, 2003 #12
    Nah. They must be working on that chat applet. I have java enabled in my Firebird & it's acting the same as yours. It was working for a little while, a few hours ago.

Now I'm logged on with MSIE 6.0 on my other machine, & even with this one, when I first login, I get the chatroom, & it seems to work, but if I scroll down, the bottom 1/3 of the screen is full of garbage.

Anyway, you can fix your firebird login temporarily at least, by changing the location in your bookmark to:

That's the address that the chatroom "return to forum" button is using. I just tried it with Firebird on my laptop & it works ok.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
  14. Oct 20, 2003 #13
    the chat works fine with Opera too...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?