PF Database Error | Issues Resolved

• Thread starter cobalt124
  • Start date
In summary, something bad is happening on the PF server, and it's happening more and more frequently. Users are having problems accessing the forum, and there are also problems with posts updating. Backup times have been mentioned, and it seems that the maintenance events happen at different times each day.
More or less the same here...

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like it's about 5:30-6:30 my time. I'm going to set my alarm tomorrow morning and watch.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Sounds like it's about 5:30-6:30 my time. I'm going to set my alarm tomorrow morning and watch.
That's dedication! :approve:

Greg, IMHO there are two patterns.

First, more common, is - around 6:45 GMT server goes AWOL for several minutes. Then there are several hours when it works OK, and somewhere around 11-12 GMT problems repeat - but for much longer, something like half an hour or even an hour.

Second version happens less often (that's what happened today). First event is identical, but then - instead of working OK - there are several hours when I have troubles moderating, browsing and so on. It stops at around the same time as in the first case, and then server works OK till the next morning.

It is always possible it is just me, but obviously others see at least some of these problems at about the same time.

I got the Database error again as the same time yesterday.

Pranav-Arora said:
I got the Database error again as the same time yesterday.

yes that is backup

Now we have to wait for 4 hours - unless problems will start right away. I'll try to keep you posted if something happens.

Is there something bad going on?
I mean is their any attack on the forum?

Unlikely.

Been having 504 errors for the past 10 minutes. The forums are back up now, but painfully slow.

Looks like I'm going to have to do some work :grumpy:

Been having 504 errors for the past 10 minutes. The forums are back up now, but painfully slow.

I've been getting error messages all day! This is the first time I've been able to log on for hours.

Greg, I am unlocking the thread - 10:47 GMT today I got another database error, so it was not something external to the server.

I just got it too. Started about 30 minutes ago (11:45 GMT)

Same here, 30 minutes ago.

Ryan_m_b said:
I just got it too. Started about 30 minutes ago (11:45 GMT)

As it is 11:22 GMT now, half an hour ago it was 10:something GMT (see http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/).

Borek said:
As it is 11:22 GMT now, half an hour ago it was 10:something GMT (see http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/).

No it's not. Trust me I'm here, the current time is 12:23

EDIT: Which is odd because I've just noticed that PF records GMT time as 11:23. But it really isn't!

EDIT TWO: I've realized why, currently the UK is on British Summer Time (BST) which advances GMT by 1. It will go back to GMT on the last Sunday of October.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=136

Last edited:
Ryan_m_b said:
It will go back to GMT on the last Sunday of October.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=136

Yes. :smile:

See article 2 of the Summer Time Order 2002 (2002 SI No 262), at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/262/article/2/made" [Broken] …

Amendments to the Summer Time Act 1972

2.—(1) The Summer Time Act 1972 shall be amended as follows.

(2) In section 1 (advance of time during period of summer time)—

(a)omit “Subject to section 2 below,” in subsection (1), and

(b)for subsection (2) substitute the following—

“(2) The period of summer time for the purposes of this Act is the period beginning at one o'clock, Greenwich mean time, in the morning of the last Sunday in March and ending at one o'clock, Greenwich mean time, in the morning of the last Sunday in October.”

(3) Omit section 2 (extension of period, and double summer time).

(4) In section 3 (interpretation of references), omit “or under” in subsection (1).​

Last edited by a moderator:
When are you guys going to start using real time? PF is on CST. (we also follow DST)

Evo said:
When are you guys going to start using real time? PF is on CST. (we also follow DST)

It's set to UCT for me it seems.

Ryan_m_b said:
It's set to UCT for me it seems.
It's a reference from before your time. :tongue: For example, when we would announce chat, we would say that it's open Sunday from 10am to 4pm CST.

Evo said:
It's a reference from before your time. :tongue: For example, when we would announce chat, we would say that it's open Sunday from 10am to 4pm CST.

Ah I see, an oldie joke :tongue2:

Evo said:

No such thing as the real time. This is PF, we all know it is all a matter of a frame of reference :tongue2:

Did anyone just have problems? I am investigating and am sure it has to do with our backup system.

Last edited:
Works OK for me ATM.

Borek said:
Works OK for me ATM.

I made some tweaks and running a backup right now. Seems to work ok for the moment. Report back if there is any slow downs or errors within the next 30min.

I just got both a 502 Bad Gateway Nginx, and a DataBase error.

And they're only happening when I try to open posts in philosophy.

Evo said:
I just got both a 502 Bad Gateway Nginx, and a VB DataBase error.

yup I saw it too, increased max connections to mysql

I got 504 while deleting moderated post.

Just got 502 followed by the database error. That happened while deleting spam posts from 2003/2004.

Borek said:
Just got 502 followed by the database error. That happened while deleting spam posts from 2003/2004.

Here too i encountered a database error at 12:05 PM IST at 4th October. :)

I wasn't able to access PF for a few minutes, starting about 10 minutes ago, at 8:35 European time. I had some problems yesterday too, and I think it was at the exact same time, 8:35, but I'm not 100% sure. Yesterday I got a database error. Today just a timeout.

Fredrik said:
I wasn't able to access PF for a few minutes, starting about 10 minutes ago, at 8:35 European time. I had some problems yesterday too, and I think it was at the exact same time, 8:35, but I'm not 100% sure. Yesterday I got a database error. Today just a timeout.

Backup, will happen every morning at this time for roughly 10 minutes.

<h2>1. What is a "PF Database Error"? </h2><p>A "PF Database Error" is an error message that is displayed when there is an issue with the database used by a software program called PF. This can occur due to various reasons such as corrupt data, server issues, or software bugs.</p><h2>2. How can I resolve a "PF Database Error"? </h2><p>The first step to resolving a "PF Database Error" is to identify the root cause of the error. This can be done by checking the error message, reviewing server logs, or contacting the software developer for assistance. Once the cause is identified, appropriate steps can be taken to fix the issue, such as repairing the database, updating the software, or troubleshooting server problems.</p><h2>3. Can a "PF Database Error" be prevented? </h2><p>While some "PF Database Errors" may occur due to unforeseen circumstances, there are certain measures that can be taken to prevent them. These include regularly backing up the database, maintaining the software and server, and implementing security measures to prevent data corruption or loss.</p><h2>4. Is a "PF Database Error" a serious issue? </h2><p>The severity of a "PF Database Error" depends on the specific error and its impact on the software and data. In some cases, it may cause inconvenience or temporary disruption, while in others it may lead to data loss or system failure. It is important to address these errors promptly to minimize their impact.</p><h2>5. Can I fix a "PF Database Error" on my own? </h2><p>It is possible to fix some "PF Database Errors" on your own, especially if they are minor issues. However, for more complex errors, it is recommended to seek assistance from the software developer or a database expert. This will ensure that the error is properly resolved and prevent any further complications.</p>

1. What is a "PF Database Error"?

A "PF Database Error" is an error message that is displayed when there is an issue with the database used by a software program called PF. This can occur due to various reasons such as corrupt data, server issues, or software bugs.

2. How can I resolve a "PF Database Error"?

The first step to resolving a "PF Database Error" is to identify the root cause of the error. This can be done by checking the error message, reviewing server logs, or contacting the software developer for assistance. Once the cause is identified, appropriate steps can be taken to fix the issue, such as repairing the database, updating the software, or troubleshooting server problems.

3. Can a "PF Database Error" be prevented?

While some "PF Database Errors" may occur due to unforeseen circumstances, there are certain measures that can be taken to prevent them. These include regularly backing up the database, maintaining the software and server, and implementing security measures to prevent data corruption or loss.

4. Is a "PF Database Error" a serious issue?

The severity of a "PF Database Error" depends on the specific error and its impact on the software and data. In some cases, it may cause inconvenience or temporary disruption, while in others it may lead to data loss or system failure. It is important to address these errors promptly to minimize their impact.

5. Can I fix a "PF Database Error" on my own?

It is possible to fix some "PF Database Errors" on your own, especially if they are minor issues. However, for more complex errors, it is recommended to seek assistance from the software developer or a database expert. This will ensure that the error is properly resolved and prevent any further complications.