PF demographics, where do you live?

  • Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
In summary, the majority of people on this forum believe that the United States is the country most deserving of the title of " PF superpower."

What country are you from?


  • Total voters
    70
  • #1
Schrodinger's Dog
835
7
Just looking at a thread in Forum feedback and someone asked whether this was a mainly American website or multi national, knowing it is fairly multinational I wondered how multinational is PF? So if people could tick their country maybe we could get an idea?

I searched for threads like this, but if they do exist they are buried deep in the archive or I missed them.

So where you from? Can be where you were born, where you live now, which ever country you call your homeland basically.

Unfortunately we can't have 192 poll options, so as this is an English speaking forum I've biased some of the poll options to English speaking countries or on the basis of a guess about forum numbers and the general size of a country, although I'm aware there are plenty of people whose first language isn't English, it seemed the best way to limit the poll options to something reasonable.

If you don't think the poll options are adequate then please post your country on the thread.

Russia is technically part of Europe and probably warrants a separate poll option but if you don't feel like ticking Europe then feel free to post. I'm also aware of how many countries I missed in the poll, so there's no need to point out how bad the poll is, you try getting as many countries in as possible with ten options :smile:

Not included certain other non continental countries or Antartica either.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
Hey, where's the "Antarctica" option?! :-p

Edit: btw, I expect the majority will vote for US.
 
  • #3
:-p*sticks tongue out and makes fart noise*

I don't think anyone living on Antartica apart from the penguins would list their homeland as Antartica. :smile:

radou said:
Hey, where's the "Antarctica" option?! :-p

Edit: btw, I expect the majority will vote for US.

Aye I expect you're right, I guess about 50%+ but it definitely could be [itex]\pm[/itex] 10% or even more. That'd be my guess though.
 
Last edited:
  • #4
radou said:
Edit: btw, I expect the majority will vote for US.

Yup, I reckon so too.

You can tell a poll was written by a Brit when "UK" and "Europe" are two different choices :wink:
 
  • #5
:biggrin: I was going to mention that, but it's the set up for the classic joke :smile:

The UK is not part of Europe :mad::wink::biggrin:

It's amazing how Ireland can be part of Europe but NI,Scotland,Wales and England are most certainly not, why the very idea! We have our own currency even!
 
Last edited:
  • #6
Schrodinger's Dog said:
I don't think anyone living on Antartica apart from the penguins would list their homeland as Antartica. :smile:

We have penguins here on PF.
 
  • #7
Lots of people here wear a toque eh?
 
  • #8
radou said:
We have penguins here on PF.

You could pm the mentors and ask if they'll add a poll options for penguins of Antarctic origin then :smile:
 
  • #9
dontdisturbmycircles said:
Lots of people here wear a toque eh?

Aye, laddie. I know that there are at least 3 more Canuks here who haven't responded yet.
 
  • #10
What's your favourite Australian country? :-p
 
  • #11
Norway is NOT in the European Union, Norway is NOT European, Norway is NOT a country like any other, Norway has a king, hooray for the King, don't say a damn word about our king, or else, you'll get the leidang after you.
 
  • #12
Its fairly safe to say its on the european continent anyway :wink:

So far the choice of categories seems justified, unless it puts people off if their country isn't on.
 
  • #13
arildno said:
Norway is NOT in the European Union, Norway is NOT European, Norway is NOT a country like any other, Norway has a king, hooray for the King, don't say a damn word about our king, or else, you'll get the leidang after you.

Most Norwegians I've met on line think their monarchy are a waste of space :smile:

You can vote other if you like but I think you are part of Europe if not the EU, unlike of course the UK, which is on an er Island so is not part of Europe, er yeah that's the ticket. :biggrin:
 
  • #14
arildno said:
Norway is NOT European

Are you kidding or do all of the Norwegians not like to be considered as European?
 
  • #15
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Most Norwegians I've met on line think their monarchy are a waste of space :smile:

You can vote other if you like but I think you are part of Europe if not the EU, unlike of course the UK, which is on an er Island so is not part of Europe, er yeah that's the ticket. :biggrin:


I'll carve the blood eagle in you, lowlander. :mad:
 
  • #16
arildno said:
I'll carve the blood eagle in you, lowlander. :mad:

:smile::smile::smile:
You Norweeds are so cute when you're irritated.
 
  • #17
arildno said:
I'll carve the blood eagle in you, lowlander. :mad:

Isn't the blood eagle a ritual method of opening the ribs so that the heart and lungs are exposed, in a sort of grizzly offering to Odin, I'm sure the people who received the blessing were really quite pleased that it was meant to be an honour. :wink:

Thanks for the thought though. :-p
 
  • #18
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Isn't the blood eagle a ritual method of opening the ribs so that the heart and lungs are exposed, in a sort of grizzly offering to Odin, I'm sure the people who received the blessing were really quite pleased that it was meant to be an honour. :wink:

Thanks for the thought though. :-p
Ah yes, I hadn't thought of that...
Perhaps I'll show your kids Norse family values by our custom
"henda börn á spjóta oddum" instead..:smile:
 
  • #19
arildno said:
Ah yes, I hadn't thought of that...
Perhaps I'll show your kids Norse family values by our custom
"henda börn á spjóta oddum" instead..:smile:

Er thanks but no thanks, I don't have a clue what that is but I'll take it it's not pleasant :smile:

Tell you what you go ahead and vote other, I don't mind :smile:
 
  • #20
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Er thanks but no thanks

Crap! I was just about to pull out the camcorder.
 
  • #21
The inhuman custom which the Norwegian Víkings in heathendom had, of throwing up small children into the air and catching them again upon their spear-points (henda börn á spjóta oddum), (10) is to be regarded perhaps not merely as an outburst of the most savage ferocity of rude warriors, but also as a kind of human sacrifice.

http://www.northvegr.org/lore/northmen/021.php

:bugeye:
 
  • #22
dontdisturbmycircles said:
The inhuman custom which the Norwegian Víkings in heathendom had, of throwing up small children into the air and catching them again upon their spear-points (henda börn á spjóta oddum), (10) is to be regarded perhaps not merely as an outburst of the most savage ferocity of rude warriors, but also as a kind of human sacrifice.

http://www.northvegr.org/lore/northmen/021.php

:bugeye:
It's rather fun, though..
 
  • #23
arildno said:
It's rather fun, though..

I bet.

Sounds kinda like a slightly overcomplicated game of basketball. :rolleyes:

:-p
 
  • #24
Certainly a practical method of population control. Vikings weren't reknowned for their use of condoms.
 
  • #25
dontdisturbmycircles said:
I bet.

Sounds kinda like a slightly overcomplicated game of basketball. :rolleyes:

:-p

Well, it's all about showing off who's got the longest spear, really.
But that is fun, after all..
 
  • #26
Danger said:
Certainly a practical method of population control. Vikings weren't reknowned for their use of condoms.

Could they not of just used the rhythm method?

Or just pulled out before they'd gone the whole nine yards?
 
  • #27
dontdisturbmycircles said:
I bet.

Sounds kinda like a slightly overcomplicated game of basketball. :rolleyes:

:-p
Actually it sounds more like javelin throw, except in this case the javelin is in your hand, while you throw children.
 
  • #28
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Could they not of just used the rhythm method?
There's a term specifically used for women who rely upon the rhythm method: mother.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Or just pulled out before they'd gone the whole nine yards?

I'd say that nine yards is a bit of an exaggeration. :rolleyes:
 
  • #29
Danger said:
I'd say that nine yards is a bit of an exaggeration. :rolleyes:

"No, it isn't!"
 
  • #30
Danger said:
There's a term specifically used for women who rely upon the rhythm method: mother.

Given the choice of spitting them on spears I'd go rhythm method and live with the consequences, but that's just me.
I'd say that nine yards is a bit of an exaggeration. :rolleyes:

:smile: Er figuratively. :-p

With the exception Arildno who is perhaps dare I say it lying :-p
 
  • #31
We have so many members from India, that could've waranted a separate listing.
 
  • #32
Schrodinger's Dog said:
With the exception Arildno who is perhaps dare I say it lying :-p
grumble, grumble, doesn't even master his monty python basics, dumb pup, grumble, grumble..
 
  • #33
arildno said:
"No, it isn't!"

And once again Arildno displays his delusion of adequacy.
 
  • #34
Evo said:
We have so many members from India, that could've waranted a separate listing.

India is part of Asia, but I can see your point. After all, Canukland and Yankville and The Repuplic of Tamales aren't lumped together under 'North America', nor would we want to be. India, Pakistan, Japan and China are all large enough to rate their own category. On the other hand, I can see that it would become unwieldy very quickly. There's lots of time to add one's specific location in the regular posts.
 
  • #35
Evo said:
We have so many members from India, that could've waranted a separate listing.

Can you extend it to 11 options then or more? I agree, but I couldn't separate them out because of a 10 option limit, I did seriously consider India but could not include it.

I also considered China and Japan for obvious reasons, but I'm not sure if there are a lot of Chinese posters, I may be wrong :smile:

My original list had 14 options. hehe.
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

  • Poll
  • General Discussion
2
Replies
45
Views
5K
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Poll
  • General Discussion
Replies
27
Views
2K
  • Poll
  • General Discussion
Replies
23
Views
3K
  • Sticky
  • General Discussion
Replies
0
Views
214
  • General Discussion
Replies
14
Views
2K
  • General Discussion
10
Replies
340
Views
26K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
1
Views
541
  • General Discussion
Replies
28
Views
10K
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
1
Views
795
Back
Top