Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF demographics, where do you live?

1. US

44.3%
  2. Canada

20.0%
  3. UK

5.7%
  4. Australian

1.4%
  5. European

11.4%
  6. Middle Eastern

1.4%
  7. African

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Central&South American

1.4%
  9. Asian

11.4%
  10. Other: all other nations and states not covered.

2.9%
  1. Jul 21, 2007 #1
    Just looking at a thread in Forum feedback and someone asked whether this was a mainly American website or multi national, knowing it is fairly multinational I wondered how multinational is PF? So if people could tick their country maybe we could get an idea?

I searched for threads like this, but if they do exist they are buried deep in the archive or I missed them.

So where you from? Can be where you were born, where you live now, which ever country you call your homeland basically.

Unfortunately we can't have 192 poll options, so as this is an English speaking forum I've biased some of the poll options to English speaking countries or on the basis of a guess about forum numbers and the general size of a country, although I'm aware there are plenty of people whose first language isn't English, it seemed the best way to limit the poll options to something reasonable.

If you don't think the poll options are adequate then please post your country on the thread.

Russia is technically part of Europe and probably warrants a separate poll option but if you don't feel like ticking Europe then feel free to post. I'm also aware of how many countries I missed in the poll, so there's no need to point out how bad the poll is, you try getting as many countries in as possible with ten options :smile:

Not included certain other non continental countries or Antartica either.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Hey, where's the "Antarctica" option?! :tongue:

Edit: btw, I expect the majority will vote for US.

4. Jul 21, 2007 #3
    :tongue:*sticks tongue out and makes fart noise*

I don't think anyone living on Antartica apart from the penguins would list their homeland as Antartica. :smile:

Aye I expect you're right, I guess about 50%+ but it definitely could be [itex]\pm[/itex] 10% or even more. That'd be my guess though.

5. Jul 21, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yup, I reckon so too.

You can tell a poll was written by a Brit when "UK" and "Europe" are two different choices :wink:

6. Jul 21, 2007 #5
    :biggrin: I was going to mention that, but it's the set up for the classic joke :rofl:

The UK is not part of Europe :mad::grumpy::wink::biggrin:

It's amazing how Ireland can be part of Europe but NI,Scotland,Wales and England are most certainly not, why the very idea! We have our own currency even! :grumpy:

7. Jul 21, 2007 #6

radou

Homework Helper

We have penguins here on PF.

8. Jul 21, 2007 #7
    Lots of people here wear a toque eh?

9. Jul 21, 2007 #8
    You could pm the mentors and ask if they'll add a poll options for penguins of Antarctic origin then :smile:

10. Jul 21, 2007 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Aye, laddie. I know that there are at least 3 more Canuks here who haven't responded yet.

11. Jul 21, 2007 #10
    What's your favourite Australian country? :tongue:

12. Jul 21, 2007 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Norway is NOT in the European Union, Norway is NOT European, Norway is NOT a country like any other, Norway has a king, hooray for the King, don't say a damn word about our king, or else, you'll get the leidang after you.

13. Jul 21, 2007 #12

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its fairly safe to say its on the european continent anyway :wink:

So far the choice of categories seems justified, unless it puts people off if their country isn't on.

14. Jul 21, 2007 #13
    Most Norwegians I've met on line think their monarchy are a waste of space :smile:

You can vote other if you like but I think you are part of Europe if not the EU, unlike of course the UK, which is on an er Island so is not part of Europe, er yeah that's the ticket. :biggrin:

15. Jul 21, 2007 #14

radou

Homework Helper

Are you kidding or do all of the Norwegians not like to be considered as European?

16. Jul 21, 2007 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised
    I'll carve the blood eagle in you, lowlander. :mad:

17. Jul 21, 2007 #16

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    You Norweeds are so cute when you're irritated.

18. Jul 21, 2007 #17
    Isn't the blood eagle a ritual method of opening the ribs so that the heart and lungs are exposed, in a sort of grizzly offering to Odin, I'm sure the people who received the blessing were really quite pleased that it was meant to be an honour. :wink:

Thanks for the thought though. :tongue:

19. Jul 21, 2007 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Ah yes, I hadn't thought of that...
    Perhaps I'll show your kids Norse family values by our custom
    "henda börn á spjóta oddum" instead..:smile:

20. Jul 21, 2007 #19
    Er thanks but no thanks, I don't have a clue what that is but I'll take it it's not pleasant :smile:

Tell you what you go ahead and vote other, I don't mind :smile:

21. Jul 21, 2007 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Crap! I was just about to pull out the camcorder. :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?