Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF iPhone SE app

1. Aug 27, 2016 #1

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've tried (I really have) to get my PF app to use my PF user and password from my Keychain but there doesn't seem to be a way. If I use Safari, the info is in there and available. There is no apparent option in the preference for PF.
    Any ideas? I get frustrated telling it again and again.
    [Edit: @Mods - thanks for moving this. I never know where to put this sort of stuff (answers on a postcard, perhaps.) ]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2016 #2
    Hmmm my app seems to remember the login. I haven't signed in for months.

4. Aug 28, 2016 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a fairly recent thing for me. I have tried various things - deleting the PF password in the keychain for safari. killing safari, putting the password manually into the password list. Each time I log in I tick the 'keep me logged in" box but it doesn't. Fairly recently, I moved from iPhone 4 to SE but I didn't associate the problem with the change - but I could be wrong. iOS is subtly different for all machines so I wonder is there's a genuine bit of incompatibility. I can't be the only PF member with a new cheaper iPhone and it could be useful to hear from someone who either does or doesn't have this problem.
    Greg. Do you have an SE, by any chance?

5. Aug 28, 2016 #4
    Just to be clear, are you using the PF App or browsing PF using mobile safari browser?

6. Aug 28, 2016 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have tried both. I ditched the PF app but can't seem to find another copy on the App Store (that's another issue, too). At the moment the problem is on mobile safari but it was on the app, too - which is why I tried ditching it.

7. Aug 28, 2016 #6
    I think you need to manually add PF into your keychain and then when visiting PF you'll get a popup to remember?

8. Aug 28, 2016 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll try that. Cheers.

9. Aug 28, 2016 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Trying to do this the Tapatalk option.

10. Aug 28, 2016 #9

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So far so good. I can't remember using TT before. The screen colours are quite different.

11. Aug 28, 2016 #10
    The downside to the App is that the equations aren't processed. It's best for a quick overview of what's happening on PF.

12. Aug 31, 2016 #11

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought I ought to report on progress. I ditched the App from my SE. That App had the Blue PF logo and was the one that had been giving trouble. I couldn't find a replacement for that anywhere but I installed the Tapatalk App and that seems not to need me to login every time. It's a different interface completely from the original PF App and it's a bit zippier. The Tapatalk Icon has a white 't' on an red speech bubble.
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Greg.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted