PF on IRC: Join #Physics @ irc.sorcery.net

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: change every few days.That makes sense. What is this? Don't make requests or get flamed week?:mad:That's why I don't make requests. I don't want to get flamed for asking something that is obviously not a problem. It's like you guys are afraid to ask questions because you're afraid of getting an answer you don't like.
Yes per request PF has an official IRC channel

We have it hotlinked under the PF lounge category, otherwise goto https://www.physicsforums.com/chat

or on your favorite IRC client goto #physics on server irc.sorcery.net

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're chat applet on the site is horrible.

I couldn't type anything.

Is there anyway to hide my IP and ISP from the WHOIS and when I login to the channel?

:confused:

Last edited:
Dagenais said:
You're chat applet on the site is horrible.

I couldn't type anything.

Is there anyway to hide my IP and ISP from the WHOIS and when I login to the channel?

:confused:

Do you like anything about PF, seems like all you do is complain.

Could you get the applet to load? If all else download mirc.com

Do you like anything about PF, seems like all you do is complain.

Oh yeah, that's me. I'm the biggest whiner you'll ever see.

Could you get the applet to load? If all else download mirc.com

I use Mac, actually. So I'm using XCHAT.

The applet loaded, but it lagged.

Like when I typed: "What"

All that appeared was "at". I couldn't even quit it since typing "/quit" would just lag.

I'm using Safari for it.

Right now I'm in the channel, and it's pretty empty. Not that I'm complaining or anything...

It's just me and Ahrkron.

Edit: CookieMonster and I suggest that it might be safer to mask IP addresses...

Last edited:
Yeah, masks are good.

cookiemonster

The Admins and Mentors already know your IP each time you log into Physics Forums

That's fine, but I don't really want the Korean Lineage 2 junkies and part-time hackers knowing it.

And why is there a 20-person limit in the channel?

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:
That's fine, but I don't really want the Korean Lineage 2 junkies and part-time hackers knowing it.

Ahh..let me ask Greg then. Just kidding.

cookiemonster said:
cookiemonster

To prevent flooding..by script kiddies

Takes a lot less than 20 people to flood a channel, last I checked. =\

Seems like a kind of counter-productive attempt. I imagine a bot would be more effective.

cookiemonster

Greg - you joined, left, joined, left then joined...said "hi" and left.

It's a chat. Chat :)

cookiemonster said:

cookiemonster
I could find your IP address without IRC if I really wanted to find it. If you're worried someone could hack into your computer just by knowing your address you have bigger things to worry about. :smile:

Yes, but the problem is that everyone can see your IP. Anyone who logs onto the channel.

Yes, and? Anyone here could find the IPs of a lot more forum users with a very simple trick, even if they weren't shown on IRC.

Why are you against masking?

cookiemonster

Who said I am against it? All I'm saying is that if you are worried someone could "hack" you if he'd known your IP address, you should be much more worried about securing your computer than anything else. :smile:

stop it people, you're scaring everybody away from the chat ... and I can't find out ther IP addresses :tongue: :cool:

Then why are you arguing...?

Let's just leave it as "Masking would be nice."

cookiemonster

LOL kids, let's not turn this into an IP masking or Not Masking debate

Cookiemonster and I are trying to not debate this. It's just someone else who claimed that masking IPs wouldn't be good, for absolutely no reason.

Masking IPs keeps privacy from everyone who enters the channel #physics.

Guys, he wasn't saying he's against IP masking.

Exactly, so there's no sense in arguing about this.

We need more folks in there! It's deserted!

I think Greg should institute an advertising campaign.

cookiemonster

The java client doesn't seem to be working

You guys are retarded. Are you afraid to give you street address to people for fear you're going to get burglarized? Do you think theives sit around all day wanting to go break into a house, but can't because they can't find any addresses?

- Warren

You can burglarize an IP address...?

cookiemonster

chroot said:
You guys are retarded. Are you afraid to give you street address to people for fear you're going to get burglarized? Do you think theives sit around all day wanting to go break into a house, but can't because they can't find any addresses?

- Warren

i second that motion, hush up and chat, or get off your computer.

Cookiemonster, most residential internet accounts have dynamic IP addresses, so it's not an issue anyway. ISP's don't normally assign static IP addresses because it ties up their allocation.

What is this? Don't make requests or get flamed week?

cookiemonster

ISP's also don't want to encourage people to run servers which is why they assign dynamic IP's. However, I'm on high speed and mine hasn't changed so from experience they're usually static as opposed to dynamic. Unless you're using AOL or dial-up then your IP would change.

The_Professional said:
ISP's also don't want to encourage people to run servers which is why they assign dynamic IP's. However, I'm on high speed and mine hasn't changed so from experience they're usually static as opposed to dynamic. Unless you're using AOL or dial-up then your IP would change.
Your IP address will change anytime you reconnect when it is dynamic. As long as you remain connected, your IP address will remain the same. With DSL, you seldom reconnect which is the reason you haven't noticed it changing, but it is not static. An ISP will assign a static IP address if you are hosting a server, but you will most likely need a business class account. You just need to request a static IP address.

Evo, I'm on cable and I turn my computer on and off and my IP hasn't changed ever since

I'm also on cable but with a router, so even when I did turn off my computer my modem and router would keep the connection alive and my IP only changed once a month. But nowadays I have a static one from the ISP anyway.

The_Professional said:
Evo, I'm on cable and I turn my computer on and off and my IP hasn't changed ever since
Then you would have a static IP address.

Evo, that's what I've been saying all along :smile:

The_Professional said:
Evo, that's what I've been saying all along :smile:
Sorry, I must've missed where you said that.

But back to what I was saying, most residential accounts (dial up & DSL) have dynamic IP addresses, so fearing someone getting your IP address is nothing to worry about because you can simply log off & log back on and your IP address will have changed. Obviously if you have a static IP address, this doesn't apply to you. :smile:

security would be nice, but then again I'm using windows, so i guess it doesn't really matter. This is really great, thanks greg

Last edited: