PF on IRC: Join #Physics @ irc.sorcery.net

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: change every few days.That makes sense. What is this? Don't make requests or get flamed week?:mad:That's why I don't make requests. I don't want to get flamed for asking something that is obviously not a problem. It's like you guys are afraid to ask questions because you're afraid of getting an answer you don't like.
Cookiemonster, most residential internet accounts have dynamic IP addresses, so it's not an issue anyway. ISP's don't normally assign static IP addresses because it ties up their allocation.

Cable users do not have IP addresses that change.

They don't show our IP addresses when we post on forums.

Nobody has given a reason why IP masking shouldn't take place. Is it hard to do this?

security would be nice, but then again I'm using windows, so i guess it doesn't really matter.

Yes. Yes. Because you are using Windows, security is no longer important. You have been exposed to every evil person out there.

Because you are using Windows.

Security is non-existent in your life now.

:rolleyes:

You guys are retarded. Are you afraid to give you street address to people for fear you're going to get burglarized?

Yes Dr. Nick. Because we want safety, we are retarded.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dagenais said:
Nobody has given a reason why IP masking shouldn't take place. Is it hard to do this?
Infact Dagenais, you can do it yourself:
When you open the chat window, type
/nickserv help
you can register your nickname there and you will find that you should be able to hide your IP, see below:

-NickServ- The IPHIDE option, when enabled will attempt to hide
-NickServ- your hostaddress from other users by setting your usermode
-NickServ- +m and causing services to reveal only disguised information.
-NickServ-
-NickServ- This option is to provided only to attempt to bolster security,
-NickServ- *NOT* as an aid to abuse, your actual hostname is only protected
-NickServ- in a weak manner.
-NickServ-
-NickServ- The +m usermode which can be set at any time by you with
-NickServ- /mode <yournick> +m applies similar protection at the
-NickServ- IRC level, causing /whois, etc to show only masked data.
-NickServ-
-NickServ- The obvious benefit of a masked host is some small degree
-NickServ- of protection against some 'nuking', some 'hacking', and some
-NickServ- ip-based denial of service attacks.
-NickServ-
-NickServ- EXAMPLES:
-NickServ- To turn NickServ hiding/masking on: /NickServ set iphide on
-NickServ- To turn NickServ hiding/masking off: /NickServ set iphide off

At the end of the day, if you really want to secure your computer you should protect it from the inside, by installing security-oriented software. If you protect your copmuter properly, it would not matter if someone got your IP and how. I would hardly call your IP address private anyway, considering the fact that it is disclosed every time you connect to a service or load a web page.

<H2>1. What is IRC and how does it relate to physics?</H2><p>IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat, which is a real-time messaging system that allows users to communicate with each other through various chat rooms or channels. The #Physics channel on irc.sorcery.net is a place for people interested in physics to discuss and share information with each other.</p><H2>2. How can I join the #Physics channel on IRC?</H2><p>To join the #Physics channel on irc.sorcery.net, you will need to have an IRC client installed on your computer. Some popular options include mIRC, HexChat, and XChat. Once you have an IRC client, you can connect to the server irc.sorcery.net and join the #Physics channel.</p><H2>3. Is the #Physics channel on IRC moderated?</H2><p>Yes, the #Physics channel on irc.sorcery.net is moderated by a team of volunteers who help keep the discussions on topic and respectful. They also enforce the channel rules, which can be found in the channel topic.</p><H2>4. Can I ask for help with my physics homework on the #Physics channel?</H2><p>The #Physics channel on irc.sorcery.net is not intended for homework help. However, you can ask for clarification on a concept or theory that you are struggling with. Just be sure to provide enough information and show that you have put effort into understanding the material.</p><H2>5. Are there any other resources for physics discussions besides the #Physics channel on IRC?</H2><p>Yes, there are many online communities and forums dedicated to physics discussions. Some popular options include Physics Forums, Reddit's r/Physics community, and Quora's Physics topic. You can also join professional organizations or attend physics conferences to network and discuss with other scientists in the field.</p>

1. What is IRC and how does it relate to physics?

IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat, which is a real-time messaging system that allows users to communicate with each other through various chat rooms or channels. The #Physics channel on irc.sorcery.net is a place for people interested in physics to discuss and share information with each other.

2. How can I join the #Physics channel on IRC?

To join the #Physics channel on irc.sorcery.net, you will need to have an IRC client installed on your computer. Some popular options include mIRC, HexChat, and XChat. Once you have an IRC client, you can connect to the server irc.sorcery.net and join the #Physics channel.

3. Is the #Physics channel on IRC moderated?

Yes, the #Physics channel on irc.sorcery.net is moderated by a team of volunteers who help keep the discussions on topic and respectful. They also enforce the channel rules, which can be found in the channel topic.

4. Can I ask for help with my physics homework on the #Physics channel?

The #Physics channel on irc.sorcery.net is not intended for homework help. However, you can ask for clarification on a concept or theory that you are struggling with. Just be sure to provide enough information and show that you have put effort into understanding the material.

5. Are there any other resources for physics discussions besides the #Physics channel on IRC?

Yes, there are many online communities and forums dedicated to physics discussions. Some popular options include Physics Forums, Reddit's r/Physics community, and Quora's Physics topic. You can also join professional organizations or attend physics conferences to network and discuss with other scientists in the field.