PF is slow

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
PF is really slow.

Evo

Mentor
It's been horrible. I don't know what's wrong.

russ_watters

Mentor
It was just a few minutes, wasn't it?

Evo

Mentor
I've been experiencing periods of extreme slow downs for the past couple of days.

hmm we just added a gig of ram today, things should be faster

wolram

Gold Member
hmm we just added a gig of ram today, things should be faster
Yey, i will get you moving, watch out for the tups though.

Even now, now, very now
an old black ram is tupping your white ewe.

Probably not only PF. Sometimes it takes a lot of time here to find any url. But right now indeed PF seems faster.

chroot

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It hasn't seemed slow to me at all. Maybe there's router maintenance being done somewhere.

- Warren

Evo

Mentor
It's fine now.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It hasn't seemed slow to me at all. Maybe there's router maintenance being done somewhere.

- Warren
No problems now, but hit some database errors and slowdowns last week. Greg knew about it at the time, and they seem to have been corrected.

slow slow slow

That post was 2:55 my time :frown:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

turbo

Gold Member
One thing that I have noticed for a while is that if I click on a thread title or the "New Posts" link quickly, the little "loading" icon in Firefox just sits and spins. If I hold the mouse button for 1/2 second or so, the update usually loads up quite promptly. I anybody else getting this, and is there a fix for it? Other web-sites don't give me this trouble, so it shouldn't be on my end...

arivero

Gold Member
very very very very sloooooow. Perhaps because of the new SciAm access scripts.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Several times yesterday, my connection timed out while loading pages on PF. No other sites were doing it to me, so it's not a problem on my end.

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Several times yesterday, my connection timed out while loading pages on PF. No other sites were doing it to me, so it's not a problem on my end.
That happened to me too, but it was only around about a 30 minute window for me. I can't remember the times though. :redface:

Please, do implement a anti spider filter. I'm more than happy to fill in some additional hidden codes to get access to PF and have normal speed page loading time, but this is ridiculous. Everything loads quickly except PF which freezes up all the times.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Actually, I think some of the issues were something Greg has been tinkering with behind the scenes.

For about a month now, I've had troubles only on the PF. Being slow is part of it, but the main problem is that often when I'm on the PF, my firewall program (Outpost) will crash and then the system crashes---just in this last month.

I looked at the 'attacks' to my ports and they were coming from the Physics Forum. Why would the PF site be trying to access different ports on my system? tcp's 1488 and 1489

Last edited:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We may need a new server soon :(
:cry: I hate server moves! No matter how carefully we pack up everything, the movers always break something or leave something behind at the old server. :cry: