PF Slow: Find Solutions to Speed It Up

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
In summary, I think PF may be slow because of new hardware we just added and Greg is working on improving page loading times.
Cyrus
PF is really slow.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been horrible. I don't know what's wrong.

It was just a few minutes, wasn't it?

I've been experiencing periods of extreme slow downs for the past couple of days.

Greg Bernhardt said:
hmm we just added a gig of ram today, things should be faster

Yey, i will get you moving, watch out for the tups though.

Even now, now, very now
an old black ram is tupping your white ewe.

Probably not only PF. Sometimes it takes a lot of time here to find any url. But right now indeed PF seems faster.

It hasn't seemed slow to me at all. Maybe there's router maintenance being done somewhere.

- Warren

It's fine now.

chroot said:
It hasn't seemed slow to me at all. Maybe there's router maintenance being done somewhere.

- Warren

No problems now, but hit some database errors and slowdowns last week. Greg knew about it at the time, and they seem to have been corrected.

slow slow slow

That post was 2:55 my time :frown:

Cyrus said:
That post was 2:55 my time :frown:

Greg is an hour behind you. :wink:

One thing that I have noticed for a while is that if I click on a thread title or the "New Posts" link quickly, the little "loading" icon in Firefox just sits and spins. If I hold the mouse button for 1/2 second or so, the update usually loads up quite promptly. I anybody else getting this, and is there a fix for it? Other web-sites don't give me this trouble, so it shouldn't be on my end...

very very very very sloooooow. Perhaps because of the new SciAm access scripts.

Several times yesterday, my connection timed out while loading pages on PF. No other sites were doing it to me, so it's not a problem on my end.

Moonbear said:
Several times yesterday, my connection timed out while loading pages on PF. No other sites were doing it to me, so it's not a problem on my end.

That happened to me too, but it was only around about a 30 minute window for me. I can't remember the times though. :redface:

Please, do implement a anti spider filter. I'm more than happy to fill in some additional hidden codes to get access to PF and have normal speed page loading time, but this is ridiculous. Everything loads quickly except PF which freezes up all the times.

Actually, I think some of the issues were something Greg has been tinkering with behind the scenes.

For about a month now, I've had troubles only on the PF. Being slow is part of it, but the main problem is that often when I'm on the PF, my firewall program (Outpost) will crash and then the system crashes---just in this last month.

I looked at the 'attacks' to my ports and they were coming from the Physics Forum. Why would the PF site be trying to access different ports on my system? tcp's 1488 and 1489

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
We may need a new server soon :(

Oh dear; that sounds pretty expensive :eek:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Noooooooo!

Greg Bernhardt said:

:cry: I hate server moves! No matter how carefully we pack up everything, the movers always break something or leave something behind at the old server. :cry:

Were there any 'page properties' changes when PF partnered with SA?----that seems about the time when I started having problems with my firewall program crashing (and therefore the computer).

rewebster, there was a javascript file added. Check your firewall logs and get back to me with what you find.

FYI, we will be adding a high speed hard drive to house the database tomorrow, this should speed things up a noticable amount.

Greg Bernhardt said:
FYI, we will be adding a high speed hard drive to house the database tomorrow, this should speed things up a noticable amount.

Are any noticeable slowdowns or downtimes anticipated DURING the installation? Us PF addicts need some advanced warning to take a sedative or something to cope with any down time. :uhh:

Moonbear said:
Are any noticeable slowdowns or downtimes anticipated DURING the installation? Us PF addicts need some advanced warning to take a sedative or something to cope with any down time. :uhh:

2-3 hours, not sure what time yet

Ok the new HD is installed and database has been moved. Hopefully this helps, let me know.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Ok the new HD is installed and database has been moved. Hopefully this helps, let me know.

Phew! That was painless. Thanks for doing all the work during early hours. :smile:

Wow, I didn't feel a thing!

Thanks Greg!

Greg---I'm thinking it may be my system, settings, a program, or firewall--but it still seems to have started about the same time as the 'partnering' with SA. It's 'crashed' three times today already. I can't get a 'good' reading on it as when it crashes, as the info is lost (not saved when I have to shut down and restart). But, one thing comes up, is that the PF website is trying to scan different ports, attempting connection requests to ports, and even a Rst attack to a port(I haven't looked that up yet).

Does any of that make sense? Could all of that be that Java script?

rewebster said:
But, one thing comes up, is that the PF website is trying to scan different ports, attempting connection requests to ports, and even a Rst attack to a port(I haven't looked that up yet).

Does any of that make sense?

No it doesn't make sense. What firewall are you using? It deletes the log when you restart?

Outpost --the free version

well, it doesn't seem to 'record' the problem for the crash anyway

but this (PF) site is the only site that I have trouble with

---------------------------

under the "attacks detection" tab, I get these:

5/9/08 10:39:29 AM Port scanned 75.126.60.30 TCP(4585) TCP(4584)
5/9/08 10:39:29 AM Connection request 75.126.60.30 TCP(4585)
5/9/08 10:39:29 AM Connection request 75.126.60.30 TCP(4584)
5/9/08 9:46:09 AM Rst attack 75.126.60.30 -> 75.126.60.30
5/9/08 9:40:26 AM Port scanned 75.126.60.30 TCP(2632) TCP(2633)
5/9/08 9:40:26 AM Connection request 75.126.60.30 TCP(2632)
5/9/08 9:40:26 AM Connection request 75.126.60.30 TCP(2633)
5/9/08 9:21:01 AM Port scanned 75.126.60.30 TCP(1600) TCP(1601)
5/9/08 9:21:01 AM Connection request 75.126.60.30 TCP(1600)
5/9/08 9:21:01 AM Connection request 75.126.60.30 TCP(1601)

------------------

I really think its Java---Java is a strange bird that 'gets' into the computer---like quicktime, and flash--and wants to do what it wants without much controls by the user (me)

Last edited:
<h2>1. What is "PF Slow"?</h2><p>"PF Slow" refers to the phenomenon of a computer's processing speed becoming noticeably slower over time. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as outdated hardware, software conflicts, or a buildup of temporary files and other clutter on the computer.</p><h2>2. How can I determine if my computer is experiencing "PF Slow"?</h2><p>There are a few signs that your computer may be experiencing "PF Slow," including longer boot-up times, delays in opening programs or files, and overall sluggish performance. You may also notice your computer's fans working harder than usual, as this can be a sign of increased processing demands.</p><h2>3. What are some solutions to speed up "PF Slow"?</h2><p>One solution is to regularly clean up your computer by deleting temporary files and other unnecessary clutter. You can also try upgrading your hardware, such as adding more RAM or replacing an old hard drive. Another option is to use optimization software or seek professional help for more advanced solutions.</p><h2>4. Can software updates help prevent "PF Slow"?</h2><p>Yes, keeping your software up to date can help prevent "PF Slow" by fixing any bugs or glitches that may be causing slowdowns. It is important to regularly check for updates for your operating system, drivers, and other programs.</p><h2>5. Is "PF Slow" a common issue?</h2><p>Yes, "PF Slow" is a common issue that many computer users experience. However, it can often be prevented or resolved by regularly maintaining your computer and keeping it up to date. If the issue persists, it may be a sign of a more serious underlying problem that may require professional assistance.</p>

1. What is "PF Slow"?

"PF Slow" refers to the phenomenon of a computer's processing speed becoming noticeably slower over time. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as outdated hardware, software conflicts, or a buildup of temporary files and other clutter on the computer.

2. How can I determine if my computer is experiencing "PF Slow"?

There are a few signs that your computer may be experiencing "PF Slow," including longer boot-up times, delays in opening programs or files, and overall sluggish performance. You may also notice your computer's fans working harder than usual, as this can be a sign of increased processing demands.

3. What are some solutions to speed up "PF Slow"?

One solution is to regularly clean up your computer by deleting temporary files and other unnecessary clutter. You can also try upgrading your hardware, such as adding more RAM or replacing an old hard drive. Another option is to use optimization software or seek professional help for more advanced solutions.

4. Can software updates help prevent "PF Slow"?

Yes, keeping your software up to date can help prevent "PF Slow" by fixing any bugs or glitches that may be causing slowdowns. It is important to regularly check for updates for your operating system, drivers, and other programs.

5. Is "PF Slow" a common issue?

Yes, "PF Slow" is a common issue that many computer users experience. However, it can often be prevented or resolved by regularly maintaining your computer and keeping it up to date. If the issue persists, it may be a sign of a more serious underlying problem that may require professional assistance.