PF Slow: Find Solutions to Speed It Up

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
In summary, I think PF may be slow because of new hardware we just added and Greg is working on improving page loading times.
I have to believe that is the IP being spoofed by whoever the "Attacker" is. None of those ports are open for outbound traffic.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, but...----please, paraphrase number 1

and,

"the IP being spoofed by whoever the "Attacker" is."

rewebster said:
OK, but...----please, paraphrase number 1

and,

"the IP being spoofed by whoever the "Attacker" is."

A hacker can mask their IP and make it look like it coming from somewhere else.

but when I put in "75.126.62.146" I get "About Apache HTTP Server"---not the PF webpage---when I put in 75.126.60.30, I get a varied form of PF-----so what is the IP address of PF supposed to be?

and is there a way I can find out where these 'attacks' are coming from if they aren't coming from maybe the java requests on PF?

75.126.62.146 is our machine IP, if attacks were coming from our machine that is the IP you'd see. 75.126.60.30 is the alias IP attached to PF's account. You'll have to speak with the firewall software support for more information on detection.

I guess I still don't know what you mean by "75.126.60.30 is the alias IP attached to PF's account. "

are you saying that that IP (75.126.60.30) has nothing to do with PF, or that it is like a subaccount that is still part of PF, that someone other than PF is behind it, or what?

rewebster said:
I guess I still don't know what you mean by "75.126.60.30 is the alias IP attached to PF's account. "

are you saying that that IP (75.126.60.30) has nothing to do with PF, or that it is like a subaccount that is still part of PF, that someone other than PF is behind it, or what?

75.126.60.30 is PF's IP, but there can be unlimited IPs for accounts on a machine. Someone can't attack you from 75.126.60.30 because 75.126.60.30 points to a web account. It's like saying someone is attacking you from a folder on a machine. That doesn't make sense. If someone was attacking you from my machine, it would show the machine IP instead of an IP linked to a folder.

Without getting into the 'exact account' , could the problem be that I have 'just about' all ads blocked, and not to even show, on just about all web pages (including the PF) then?

rewebster said:
Without getting into the 'exact account' , could the problem be that I have 'just about' all ads blocked, and not to even show, on just about all web pages (including the PF) then?

I don't see why that would cause this problem.

then, some account in the 75.126.60.30 IP is the problem with MY computer---it doesn't sound like it's widespread-----maybe that account just wants to put a cookie in (?).

I thought it may be something related to why my computer (and several others) crashes when we try to use the chat room (java/flash? related, again, maybe) and can't do chat

Any idea on how I can pinpoint it?

Last edited:
rewebster said:
then, some account in the 75.126.60.30 IP is the problem with MY computer---it doesn't sound like it's widespread-----maybe that account just wants to put a cookie in (?).

I thought it may be something related to why my computer (and several others) crashes when we try to use the chat room (java/flash? related, again, maybe) and can't do chat

Any idea on how I can pinpoint it?

The chat uses flash. I don't think I can help you any further. But I'm quite sure it's not coming from PF.

I've changed just about every setting and my computer is still crashing only when on PF. I'm thinking it still may be a rare complaint with others, but I wonder if it could be that java script that was added. Do you know what java settings could be tweaked on mine, or is it necessary on PF pages for it to be there, any ideas?

rewebster said:
I've changed just about every setting and my computer is still crashing only when on PF. I'm thinking it still may be a rare complaint with others, but I wonder if it could be that java script that was added. Do you know what java settings could be tweaked on mine, or is it necessary on PF pages for it to be there, any ideas?

Why don't you just turn java off and see if that fixes the problem?

OK--tried it for a while----it seems to be working on the PF with 'things' turn off----of course, everything thing else on other sites don't work now though--from youtube on---I don't think there's a setting on win98se to set preferences on each site

One somewhat tedious solution is to disable scripting at medium security level, and add all the sites to the "trusted sites" level where you want to have java enabled.

thanks---I guess there's always a solution (one way or another)

rewebster said:
OK--tried it for a while----it seems to be working on the PF with 'things' turn off----of course, everything thing else on other sites don't work now though--from youtube on---I don't think there's a setting on win98se to set preferences on each site
You're on Windows 98? :bugeye: Well, there's your problem. Are you able to run Flash v9?

flash version WIN 9,0,124,0

OK--evo---here--- you can give me a couple more of the " :bugeye: 's" when I tell you that I've never owned a cell phone or own a DVD player either (I guess I may deserve them)---I might as well through in I didn't own a TV for 18 years either.

Couple things I do notice:

I still get some "nexus" something or another loading or trying to load; and, I get an error message:

line: 109
char: 1
error: Object expected
code: 0
URL: https://www.physicsforums.com/index.php

if those mean anything

Last edited:
Yikes, you still have the nexus skin? I thought that was disabled a while ago. This is weird.

At the bottom left corner of this page, do you see an option to switch skins?

PS: When did you last clear your cache?

no---in the 'status bar' just above the task bar, it shows the loading process, any errors, which zone, etc.-----I can pick up the errors there, and watch the 'loading process'---it 'hangs' a little sometimes trying to load some 'nexus' 'something'--I can't tell, though, what exactly it is trying to load.

I've got a great little 'cleaning' program called CCleaner that cleans out everything and I do it often.

I just checked again, this time the 'error' in on line:117

it may be specifically on this sub-forum thread

on the GD the error in on line:121

on the 'main' page is where the error in on line 109

All this still may be specific to my machine though

Last edited:
If its loading nexus stuff then I guess you should try clearing your cache as the nexus skin was dropped months ago.

'nexus' is not on my machine---that's coming from the server

When I clean my 'cache' , I even delete the system folders that are created by windows in the cache

rew, when my computer messed up a few weeks ago, I used my old Win 98 computer until I got a replacement and had the same issues with viewing the site.

So its looking like its finally time to update. :tongue::wink:

I've heard that XP and Vista are "at times" more forgiving

Kurdt said:
So its looking like its finally time to update. :tongue::wink:

what do you mean?

get rid of my paisley pants and naru shirt?

I still suspect there's 'some' problem with the page properties and something on the server still trying to load some 'nexus' leftovers

Last edited:
Right, I even managed to become friends with Vista, although you have to be very patient and you'd have to accept to find ordinary functions at completely different places. Also aggravating is the 'docx' storage of documents, happily incompatible with anything else.

I still suspect there's 'some' problem with the page properties and something on the server still trying to load some 'nexus' leftovers

this is what I have for line 117 (error):

color: #000000;

and on line 308:

src=xxxxx.physicsforums.com/Nexus/misc/navbits_start.gif"

line 325:

src=xxxxx.physicsforums.com/Nexus/misc/navbits_finallink.gif"

line 614:

src=xxxxxx.physicsforums.com/Nexus/statusicon/post_new.gif"

line 687:

src=xxxxx.physicsforums.com/Nexus/misc/progress.gif"

line 1001:

src=xxxxx.physicsforums.com/Nexus/misc/progress.gif"

So, there are some 'nexus' things still coming in, but I don't know why the 'color' on line 117 is the problem.

I had to replace the "http://www with 'xxxx' at the beginning of some of those to post this

I suspect you'll have to wait for Greg to return to answer things like that. But, as we noted above, if you just turn off java, then it resolves the problem in a short term manner.

I did try---but the rest of the internet isn't usable then (just about)--and when I enabled it all back, I had to re-install the dsl program to get back online due to java (and others) didn't like it

just another 'oh, well...'

I hope greg sees the thread---another 'funny' --I get a red 'X' just in front of the 'edit' button once in a while and it comes up as (properties) one of those nexus gif's:

/Nexus/misc/progress.gif

Last edited:
rewebster said:
I hope greg sees the thread---another 'funny' --I get a red 'X' just in front of the 'edit' button once in a while and it comes up as (properties) one of those nexus gif's:

/Nexus/misc/progress.gif

He should be keeping tabs if he's posted here. If you're worried I'm sure Evo can shout at him or you can PM him, but I'm not sure what he could suggest since you're using such an old OS.

Kurdt said:
He should be keeping tabs if he's posted here. If you're worried I'm sure Evo can shout at him or you can PM him, but I'm not sure what he could suggest since you're using such an old OS.
Greg's on vacation, so he's not checking in too much.

Kurdt said:

http://24hnews.youzone.ro/2008/04/25/still-using-windows-98/

yeah, it looks like my win98 is in the minority

I'm just thinking if those things I found may be causing some problems to some other people and/or on other OS's even to a minor degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Greg's on vacation, so he's not checking in too much.

Yeah I haven't seen him around at all!

greg--did you see post #63?