Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF Journals

1. Aug 24, 2004 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2004 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nifty! Great to see so many recent upgrades to this site! You must have been very busy on these ideas this summer :-)

4. Aug 24, 2004 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Earlier, I tried to "discuss" my own first entry. I couldn't see where my reply went.

5. Aug 24, 2004 #4
    Yeah the system is a bit clunky right now, I'm going to continue to work on it's usability and style.

6. Aug 24, 2004 #5

jimmy p

Gold Member

...and the point is? is it like personal grafitti or something?

7. Aug 24, 2004 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If that's what you want it to be, yes. Journals or Blogs are just places for you to write whatever thoughts you feel like writing...and it looks like the one here has the option that you can either make those thoughts public (this is a good place for those random pet theories people come up with based on absolutely no data but feel the need to share anyway), or you can keep them private, like a diary. I'm not sure of the need to use PF bandwidth for private diaries, but the public blog seems like a good solution to some people who can't resist posting things that don't belong in the forums :wink: Besides, we may get to see the other members' more creative sides once they are given an outlet for that :smile:

Though, I'm wondering, when a journal entry is marked private, can Greg still read it? Is this a way for Greg to go journal snooping? :rofl:

Seems like a nice thing to have to me. But, hey, nobody is forcing you to write stuff there :wink:

8. Aug 24, 2004 #7

jimmy p

Gold Member

I've written an entry. Seems a bit random, but there you go... that's me.

9. Aug 24, 2004 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hehe, I will just write everything in Dutch :devil: :biggrin: :wink:

10. Aug 24, 2004 #9
    Write in French instead! It's cool to be Quebecois! :biggrin:

11. Aug 25, 2004 #10
    Private: "0 private are private"
    lol, I like it.

12. Aug 25, 2004 #11
    Shhhh!
    *Crumbles Whispers*: There is a Translate into English function built into Google Toolbar, and there's loads of free translation sites!! So we can still snoop on Monique's and Dagenais journal and reveal all their inner secrets! :tongue2:

13. Aug 25, 2004 #12

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

editing a journal entry: time limit?

Question for Greg: Can a given journal entry be edited indefinitely? Or is there a time limit (like for ordinary post--which can't be edited after a 20 hour or so window). I'm thinking that if someone wanted to post an essay on a topic--they might want to keep it up to date by regular tweaking.

14. Aug 26, 2004 #13

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is actually a very good question. I was about to make a list of ... er.... "something" in my Journal, and would like to add to that list periodically. Would be nice to know ahead of time if I can do this indefinitely.

Zz.

15. Aug 26, 2004 #14

jimmy p

Gold Member

Put your shopping list on there, so everyone can see what you are going to buy this week, and make suggestions.

16. Aug 26, 2004 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Will a link to the journal page be added to a menu somewhere, or is the only way to get there to open a thread I've posted in and click on "read my journal"? And conversely, will a menu be added somewhere in the journal section so we can get back to the rest of the forums once done with snooping...erm...writing in our journals?

Oh, nevermind, I just spotted the link at the top of the page...doh!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  17. Aug 27, 2004 #16

plover

Homework Helper

Thanks for setting this up.

I second the need for the usual link bar at the top of the journal pages, both main and individual.

There should probably also be a more obvious link to people's profile page than the avatar. The "Posts by this person" link would be useful too.

What does "lock journal" do? Make the whole journal inaccessible to other people? Or just prevent comments?

Are the two occurences of "private" in "0 private are private" intentional? If so what does the phrase mean?

18. Aug 27, 2004 #17

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

plover,

If you click on the poster's name to the left of the post it pulls up a drop-down menu with the options to view the profile, send a PM, send email, find posts by the person, and add to your buddy list.

19. Aug 27, 2004 #18

plover

Homework Helper

Yes, but these don't seem to be available on the journal pages.

20. Aug 28, 2004 #19
    It makes your journal entry inaccessible for viewing and comments from you and other people. In essence, it closes it.

It means that the person hasn't designated any journal entry as private. If you make a journal entry and choose 'Private' you will be the only person to view it. Most journal entries are 'Public' by default unless you choose 'Private'.

21. Aug 28, 2004 #20

plover

Homework Helper

It makes the journal unviewable by the author? That seems odd.
    Yes, that much is clear. However, "0 entries are private ", or simply "0 private", would indicate as much. As it stands, the intention of the wording is unclear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?