Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF Language Guidelines

1. Sep 3, 2004 #1
    The following is a direct quote from PF. Should it be modified or removed since it is inconsistent with current activities.

"Language Guidelines:
    Any foul or hostile language used in Physics Forums will not be tolerated. This includes any derogatory statements and profanity. Direct or indirect personal attacks are strictly not permitted. Insults and negative attitudes are not allowed. It is better to walk away from a possible confontation and come back with constructive arguments. "

1. I have personally experienced "hostile language". To my knowledge none of the bad mouths were washed with soap.
    2. I have, in my opinion and that of others, suffered from "personal attacks". Have those members and Mentors been reprimanded?
    3. Negative attitudes are very obviously condoned.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2004 #2
    so profanity is strictly off limits even though the forum edits it and what about if its not used at someone but just in a harmless way for humor
  4. Sep 3, 2004 #3
    We all have at one point been personally attacked. Yes, I've been personally attacked by a "Mentor". What's ironic is the same person kept talking about kindness, humility, blah blah blah...gotta love the hypocrisy.
    This is not real life, it's a forum so just let it go. It doesn't mean anything. At least it doesn't affect me personally.

Just respond with tact and move on. Life is too damn short to waste your time on such negativity.
  5. Sep 3, 2004 #4
    Who attacked you ?
    I will reprimand him !
  6. Sep 3, 2004 #5
    Post and Run away is the coward behavior.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  7. Sep 3, 2004 #6
    I fully understand your way. It makes perfect sense. If it were just me and other people over the age of 20 in the wind tunnel of fecal matter and particles, then I wouldn't waste my time writing about it. Unfortunately, by ignoring and, in effect, condoning such anti-social manners we leave behind those who are younger and too easily misguided and they, in their turn, begin to think that this type of moronic behavior is an acceptable way to interact with fellow humans.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2004
  8. Sep 4, 2004 #7
    We can't deal with any situation unless they are reported.
  9. Sep 4, 2004 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree. We've got a system in place where you can report particular posts (the red triangle with bar to the left). You can use that to draw attention of the mentors who will then take action.
  10. Sep 5, 2004 #9

jimmy p

Gold Member

Valiant warrior of justice!! *swoon* :rofl:

It seems crazy that you can be personally attacked on a forum such as this... can people be really that het-up about their beliefs?? Fools I'll crush them all! (that was general, not personal! :biggrin: )

ps. I dont mean it really!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?