PF Mentors are really great people!

  • Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
  • #1
55
9
Arent Mentors Brilliant! I mean they're just great, I love mentors.
 
  • Like
Likes gracy

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Zero
Originally posted by Andy
Arent Mentors Brilliant! I mean they're just great, I love mentors.
Thank you, yes, we are brilliant.


But we would be nothing without the graciousness of the members of PF. Pats on the back all around!
 
  • #3
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
1,890
3
Andy, if you really want to become a mentor, then all you have to meet the following basic requirements.

1. Have deep knowledge in a specific topic on physicsforums

2. Must be dedicated to helping those less knowledgable then you.

3. Willling and able to watch and protect all that is good and scared in this forum of intellect.

4. Must not look like a chimpanzee

5. Must not have a name that begins with an 'A' and ends with a 'Y'

6. Can't be born on August 20, 1985

7. Can't have a member number of 29

If you meet all these requirements, then all you have to do is wait for Greg to send you the standard mentor employment papers in the mail
 
  • #4
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
Ahwww, how cruel! Greg! Ban Dduardo! :wink:


Andy gets a big peck on the cheek for being so nice
 
  • #5
181
1
Originally posted by dduardo
Andy, if you really want to become a mentor, then all you have to meet the following basic requirements.

1. Have deep knowledge in a specific topic on physicsforums

2. Must be dedicated to helping those less knowledgable then you.

3. Willling and able to watch and protect all that is good and scared in this forum of intellect.

4. Must not look like a chimpanzee

5. Must not have a name that begins with an 'A' and ends with a 'Y'

6. Can't be born on August 20, 1985

7. Can't have a member number of 29

If you meet all these requirements, then all you have to do is wait for Greg to send you the standard mentor employment papers in the mail
Ha..ha.. tough req.

Andy ... ha... ha...

I am old but new in posts so not enough posts....but I can write good joking comments can I be one ;)
 
  • #6
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
827
14
dduardo...

mentors don't necessarily have to have a lot of knowledge in their forum the monitor...but i do believe the mentors must display compassion, patience for everyone to the best of their ability, and a positive attitude that encourages our members to contribute also that same positive attitude...

trivia question...which mentor has been on the board the longest, and how long have they been a mentor?
 
  • #7
55
9
Is it Tom, and since the birth of Physicsforums.

Justa random guess there.
 
  • #8
Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
5,500
8
Originally posted by Andy
Is it Tom, and since the birth of Physicsforums.

Justa random guess there.
No, I've been here only since 3/11/02.
 
  • #9
55
9
Sting? also from the beginning
 
  • #10
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
The earliest archive I could find is this one:

Physics Forums I

I wonder who is Niqqie anyone seen that person around here?
Who comes up with such a name anyway..
 
  • #11
iansmith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
1,317
2
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #12
BoulderHead
Originally posted by Kerrie
trivia question...which mentor has been on the board the longest, and how long have they been a mentor?
I believe the answer is Zero.
 
  • #13
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
827
14
i think it is either monique or phobos...but Greg is THE original member :)

zero & I came as mentors in the fall of 2001...

sting, when did you become a mentor?
 
  • #14
18,243
7,868
Ok here we go

1. Greg
2. Monique
3. Phobos
4. Sting
5. Zero
6. Kerrie
7. Integral
8. Tom
9. Janus
10. ahrkron
11. Hurkyl
12. HallsofIvy
13. Ivan Seeking
14. selfAdjoint
15. enigma
16. russ_watters
17. Another God
18. hypnagogue (Advisor)
19. chroot
20. Ambitwister (Advisor)
 
  • #15
55
9
So who is it then? I though monique had'nt been a member from the beginning.
 
  • #16
18,243
7,868
Originally posted by Andy
So who is it then? I though monique had'nt been a member from the beginning.
Might want to check my post above.
 
  • #17
jimmy p
Gold Member
358
33
lol...i was gonna say greg was the first but seeing as i have only just managed to fix the internet (yes i myself sorted out every problem on the web....i wish *geek sound*) on my computer

I'll say it now... GREG was the first member as he was the founding father of PF.

And yes, mentors are great. Without them...uh, there would be nobody to put in the mentors section of the pages....GOOD JOB!!!
 
  • #18
55
9
But that doesnt answer the question of how long. And jimmy p the question was who was the first mentor, i beleive greg has only ever been the adminastrator.
 
  • #19
18,243
7,868
Originally posted by Andy
But that doesnt answer the question of how long. And jimmy p the question was who was the first mentor, i beleive greg has only ever been the adminastrator.
Monique was brought onboard within the first month, phobos wasn't too much further off.
 
  • #20
jimmy p
Gold Member
358
33
well greg seemed to agree that he was a mentor, and he has always been there...before PF there was Greg, he has always been there and always will...how philosophical
 
  • #21
55
9
Thanks Greg, jimmp p stay in your place number 628.
 
  • #22
jimmy p
Gold Member
358
33
Thats just a theoretical place dammit, i could easily have been #29 or what i would like to have been..#6, so i could go through that whole 'The Prisoner' routine

'You are number 6'
'I am not a number, I'm a free man!!!'


"You are number 628" doesnt have the same ring to it? hey greg ol'buddy ol' pal, can i be #6 please
 
  • #23
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,149
64
I became a member on feb 8 2001 the second one of allll the members! (Phobos became a member on the 9th btw)

Just to note, the post count you see is not starting from that time it gets reset with new versions of PF :wink:

For the newer members, the Niqqie mentor in PF I is in fact me, mystery solved? :)

Do I get the prize Kerrie? :wink:
 
  • #24
181
1
Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
Ok here we go

1. Greg
2. Monique
3. Phobos
4. Sting
5. Zero
6. Kerrie
7. Integral
8. Tom
9. Janus
10. ahrkron
11. Hurkyl
12. HallsofIvy
13. Ivan Seeking
14. selfAdjoint
15. enigma
16. russ_watters
17. Another God
18. hypnagogue (Advisor)
19. chroot
20. Ambitwister (Advisor)
50. Moni (Became PF Mentor Jan 2007)

Sorry! this is a Sci-Fi
 
  • #25
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
14,916
19
You could always sit around and wait until you can reregister to be #24601.
 

Related Threads on PF Mentors are really great people!

  • Last Post
2
Replies
42
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
2K
Replies
70
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
42
Views
7K
Replies
13
Views
2K
Replies
15
Views
10K
Replies
11
Views
515
  • Last Post
2
Replies
25
Views
2K
Replies
50
Views
4K
Replies
6
Views
3K
Top