Native Languages of PF Members

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
In summary, these people are experts at learning a new language. They speak English, French, Italian, and German. They can also speak a few other "coded" languages.
bomba923
:blushing: Dear PF members,

What are your native languages?
Any multi-linguals ?

Mine is Russian (but I speak English+Spanish)*
:shy:

Science news on Phys.org
English, I speak French too.

I speak Antarctican

native language is Dutch

i speak french, english, italian and a bit of german

marlon

I speak Cheese

I speak american english, and spanish, enough french to get by..and can do a really lousy UK accent.

I speak Norwegian, English, German and the linguistic-perversion-known-as-Neo-Norwegian.

Mine is chinese and Malay + English

I speak English and a little German and I also can do a terrible British accent. My Canadian accent, however, is quite good, eh?

I have enough trouble with English, so haven`t tried to learn another!

English (Native) and a little bit of Spanish.

chinglish(abit of french & math)

Native languages: Russian, Tatar
Fluent in English

trying to pick Portuguese at the moment, after that Latin

English, several years of german through school, picking up spanish a bit here in southern california. I think if I went to Germany and took a refresher I could get along after a month or so.

Also speak hubba dubba, pig latin, and a few other kid - friendly "coded" languages. :grin:

English (not USian).
Enough French to get by.
Yorkshire.
Pirate.

Finnish
fluent English
decent Swedish
german phrases from war movies, comics (Himmel, AAARGH!) and games (esp. wolfenstein). and also essen meine scheisse and ich glaub ich scheib mir I am die hosen.

Pengwuino said:
I speak Antarctican
This deserves two rolly smileys I think. :rofl: :rofl:

Mine is English.

I speak engish, pero tambien hablo espanol.

I speak english-learning italian

I can also speak ebonics :smile:

now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country

now iz da tyme fo' all pimp-tight men ta come ta da aid o' dere country ya'll is mad stupid.

http://www.joel.net/EBONICS/translator.asp

English. I'm learning Spanish.

so spanglish

English, French (in high school), http://augustusmath.hypermart.net/ [Broken] :tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hungarian is first.
English is second.
German is a very distant third.

Spoke French originally, switched to English, speak only broken French now, some Spanish, some Italian, can understand enough German to get by, can't speak much of it though.

It is so much easier to recognize words and understand a language, but it is so much harder to speak it (for me). I go to French forums and can understand enough to get by, but I could never reply to a post.

Last edited:
le capiché l'Italiano? :rolleyes:

Capisce? ...

:confused: I'm not sure about spelling. it's a CD course

yomamma said:
:confused: I'm not sure about spelling. it's a CD course
You're learning Italian? My best friend lives in Sicily, so I know some Italian, some Sicilian and some Palermitan (language of the mafia).

I'm trying to learn italian. it's kinda hard though.

yomamma said:
I'm trying to learn italian. it's kinda hard though.
You can recognize a lot of the words from the latin roots. Seriously, if you learn a bit of latin, you will be able to understand most European languages. I bought a great course "Barron's Mastering Italian", developed by the Foriegn service institute, it's the same course used by the US Government to train diplomatic personnel. It has hours of audio, they teach you how to position your tongue which changes the sounds from English to Italian, huge difference. Cool course.

my pimsleur CD's sais that THEY were used by the US Government to train diplomatic personnel. :grumpy: back off! :briggrin:

yomamma said:
my pimsleur CD's sais that THEY were used by the US Government to train diplomatic personnel. :grumpy: back off! :briggrin:
Hey, I shucked out $80 for this course, to heck with your course! :tongue2: Did you have to repeat "da" for two hours? If not, your course isn't as detailed as mine. :biggrin:

http://www.audiobooksonline.com/shopsite/media/Barrons_Mastering_Italian_Level_1_Foreign_Service_Institute_Language_compact_discs.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to repeat lei aabout 1,000 times. and they broke it up so you could understand better

yomamma said:
I had to repeat lei aabout 1,000 times. and they broke it up so you could understand better
Well, we'll both be able to speak like natives. :biggrin: I like Barron's because they actually explain where to position the tongue in your mouth to change the sound from American to Italian. The difference was astounding. Many people can't handle Barron's though, it's extremely detailed, with the intent to make you sound like a native speaker as opposed to just knowing words. As one purchaser put it "Do you really need to know the syntactical name of the sounds you're learning to learn them (semi-vowels, etc.). You'd better be a nit-picking linguist to care even one bit about these lessons." Uhm, yeah, I want to be able to speak Italian correctly. That's kind of the whole idea behind learning to "speak" a language as opposed to spewing out words.

<h2>1. What does "Native Language" mean?</h2><p>Native language refers to the language that a person learns from birth and considers their primary language for communication. It is the language used by a person's family and community.</p><h2>2. How many native languages do PF members have?</h2><p>The number of native languages among PF members varies, as there are over 7,000 languages spoken around the world. However, English is the most commonly spoken language among PF members.</p><h2>3. Why is it important to know the native languages of PF members?</h2><p>Knowing the native languages of PF members allows for better communication and understanding between members. It also promotes cultural diversity and appreciation within the community.</p><h2>4. Can PF members have more than one native language?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible for PF members to have more than one native language. This can occur if a person is raised in a bilingual or multilingual household, or if they immigrate to a new country and learn a new language.</p><h2>5. Are there any efforts to preserve and promote native languages among PF members?</h2><p>Yes, there are ongoing efforts to preserve and promote native languages among PF members. This includes language education programs, cultural events, and online communities dedicated to preserving and celebrating native languages.</p>

1. What does "Native Language" mean?

Native language refers to the language that a person learns from birth and considers their primary language for communication. It is the language used by a person's family and community.

2. How many native languages do PF members have?

The number of native languages among PF members varies, as there are over 7,000 languages spoken around the world. However, English is the most commonly spoken language among PF members.

3. Why is it important to know the native languages of PF members?

Knowing the native languages of PF members allows for better communication and understanding between members. It also promotes cultural diversity and appreciation within the community.

4. Can PF members have more than one native language?

Yes, it is possible for PF members to have more than one native language. This can occur if a person is raised in a bilingual or multilingual household, or if they immigrate to a new country and learn a new language.

5. Are there any efforts to preserve and promote native languages among PF members?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts to preserve and promote native languages among PF members. This includes language education programs, cultural events, and online communities dedicated to preserving and celebrating native languages.