Native Languages of PF Members

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
In summary, these people are experts at learning a new language. They speak English, French, Italian, and German. They can also speak a few other "coded" languages.
Mine's not that detailed! :eek: :cry:

Science news on Phys.org
yomamma said:
Mine's not that detailed! :eek: :cry:
Pimsleur is a much easier course, learning words and not getting as involved with losing the American accent and understanding the grammar.

Native: English. I know Igpay Atinlay. :biggrin:
I learned the tiniest bit of Ancient Greek and Latin in an attempt to read some original old works - but it didn't happen. I learned a tiny bit of Italian, because I think it's so much fun to speak. So I can spit out some phrases and make a loud, melodramatic fool of myself (I like to use big hand gestures with them too :blushing:). I watch a French course occasionally on the PBS/USF channel, but I haven't picked up much of it (everyone speaks French - there's no English at all).
I'm beginning to learn some languages as part of my linguistics studies. Latin and Ancient Greek are the only languages that I've been planning to learn. I'll most likely learn others too, but I haven't yet decided which ones. I could see myself learning at least a dozen languages, though perhaps with limited lexicons. I was quickly discouraged with other approaches, but the approach Evo described, combined with general knowledge about language, is already making things much easier and more sensible.

yomamma said:
le capiché l'Italiano? :rolleyes:

it should be "capisci Italiano" or "Lei capisce Italiano ?"

marlon

Evo said:
Seriously, if you learn a bit of latin, you will be able to understand most European languages.

Well, that's true for Spanish, French and Italian. You will be able to recognize some words but that really is not worth anything. There is a big difference in recognizing some words or being able to engage in real-time conversations.

regards
marlon

honestrosewater said:
Latin and Ancient Greek are the only languages that I've been planning to learn.

NICE :approve:

I hope it is not for practical use, though. :rofl:

You do realize that in order to learn good Latin, it will take you about six years, right ? Here in western Europe, you can study Latin in high school for six years. Besides, to know whether you "have good Latin knowledge", you should be able translate the entire Latin mass, just to get started :wink:
Hey, what does my signature mean ? :wink:

Here is your first lesson : http://www.truecatholic.org/masstrad.htm [Broken]

regards
marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
Swedish - Native
Finnish - Fluent
English - Fluent

Scattered words and phrases: Hebrew and Italian

Besides, you need to realize that learning Latin implies a thourough study of ancient Roman literature and culture, which is very interesting in itself. One particular text i liked is the original version of Moliere's play l'Avare. The original text is of the hand of Titus Maccius Plautus

Just so you would know : Maccius is Latin for clown

regards
marlon

yomamma said:
my pimsleur CD's sais that THEY were used by the US Government to train diplomatic personnel. :grumpy: back off! :briggrin:

You know, a great way to learn extra Italian (after having done the grammar and vacobularium) is to study libretti of Italian opera's. I have done it and learned a lot from it. I suggest you start with the opera's of Mozart, Verdi, Puccini, Donizetti, Bellini,...The italian is still the same. Here are some libretti from the Stanford database :

Le Nozze Di Figaro
Complete List

the best way to learn is to engage in conversations with native Italian speakers. You must have the luck of being able to do so ofcourse.

regards
marlon

ps : if you ever want to have some lessons in italian, please let me know. I have always liked languages, even more than science.

Thanks for the info. How did you learn Latin? Do you know if Wheelock's Latin is good?
marlon said:
Hey, what does my signature mean ? :wink:
With the slanderers silenced, sentenced to piercing flames, call me with the blessed.
OR
When the wicked have been confounded, doomed to the devouring flames,
count me among the blessed.

I cheated. :redface: My own translation was something like: You can confuse me, abuse me, set me on fire, and shower me with praises. :rolleyes: Like I said, I failed miserably at my first attempt to learn Latin.

Last edited:
Hokkein,Mandarin,Cantonese (chinese dialects) + english + Malay

honestrosewater said:
Thanks for the info. How did you learn Latin?
i took it in high school

Do you know if Wheelock's Latin is good?
sorry, dunno

When the wicked have been confounded, doomed to the devouring flames,
count me among the blessed.

don't worry, i would have given the same explanation. It takes some time to learn Latin, be patient, you will get there

marlon

I can speak only Mandarine and Engilish

fluent in english and french- learning spanish

bits and pieces of german, italian, japanese and tagalog

Czech (native), English, and Spanish so far. Probably Latin/French next.

cronxeh said:
Native languages: Russian, Tatar
Fluent in English

trying to pick Portuguese at the moment, after that Latin

In that case, then try out the Russian @ PF:

Меня зoвут Миша.

[size=+1]Как вас зoвут ??[/size]

(your real name, that is :cool:)

Last edited:
Ke Aleman nnaboiro, and I'm the only one. Aside from that, though, English is native. I'm not conversationally fluent in anything else, but I know enough to read some Spanish and Classical Greek. I'm trying to learn Irish, but I just began. I'll probably try to at least learn some Welsh after that, maybe a couple other Celtic languages, mostly for scholarly reasons, as almost nobody still speaks them. Woni Tsalagi (Cherokee) awaduli, but there aren't many resources for it.

loseyourname said:
Ke Aleman nnaboiro, and I'm the only one.
:cool: You finished your language?

honestrosewater said:
:cool: You finished your language?

No, but I could hold a conversation as long as it didn't require any vocabulary I haven't invented yet (theoretically, anyway; as the only speaker I'd need to hold a conversation with myself). The grammatical and syntactical structures are decided and all. One proto-language and one sister-language and I'll be done. I've even begun with the mythology and the history to support it. You never realize how much a language reveals about a culture until you start doing this stuff. It's quite exciting.

Dutch, French, English, some German, Italian and Latin

loseyourname said:
No, but I could hold a conversation as long as it didn't require any vocabulary I haven't invented yet (theoretically, anyway; as the only speaker I'd need to hold a conversation with myself).
Well hopefully you won't use any vocabulary that you haven't invented yet. :rofl:
The grammatical and syntactical structures are decided and all. One proto-language and one sister-language and I'll be done. I've even begun with the mythology and the history to support it. You never realize how much a language reveals about a culture until you start doing this stuff. It's quite exciting.
Yeah, it sounds like fun.

French and English

english, learning spanish and latin (but i won't take enough years of latin to speak it very well)

Fibonacci

Native arabic. A part of my family speak french as their mother tongue, we r a francophonic city, and this type of people who speaks francoarabic is familiar...

Add to those 2 languages, english and a bit of italian( enough to get me where i want and for a nice conversation ), i used to speak coptic( i can't say a complete phrase by now, it's rarely used) too which is an old egyptian language written with letters extracted from greek alphabet...

So...I am at least 3rd Russian here?
technically my "native" language is Belarusian ... and Russian.
Only меня зовут Оля.

@bomba923: i think it's an "o" instead of "a", check it with "зов" :wink:

EvLer said:
So...I am at least 3rd Russian here?
technically my "native" language is Belarusian ... and Russian.
Only меня зовут Оля.

@bomba923: i think it's an "o" instead of "a", check it with "зов" :wink:
Извините :redface:,
глупая ошибка| Just fixed it

Last edited:
know nepali, hindi, sanskrit, english, maithili, bhojpuri, newari,
learning spanish.

Dutch (native), fluent: French and English, slightly less fluent but still ok: German. Some notions of Italian, Japanese and Norwegian (I followed courses in these languages and at a certain point I could have a simple conversation, but that's long ago and I don't think much is left now).

urdu is my native language (national language of pakistan and the 99.99% same as spoken hindi). but I've also been speaking english since i was a kid so i know it just as well. i also know arabic, but not as much as english or urdu

vanesch said:
Dutch (native), fluent: French and English, slightly less fluent but still ok: German. Some notions of Italian, Japanese and Norwegian (I followed courses in these languages and at a certain point I could have a simple conversation, but that's long ago and I don't think much is left now).
Hurra! Han snakker norsk; så gøy!
Sayonara.

lets add something more.
as cefarix said, i know urdu too because i know hindi.
hehe

r the knowledge of some sentences and few words counted too?
then chinese, japanese, spanish, french

<h2>1. What does "Native Language" mean?</h2><p>Native language refers to the language that a person learns from birth and considers their primary language for communication. It is the language used by a person's family and community.</p><h2>2. How many native languages do PF members have?</h2><p>The number of native languages among PF members varies, as there are over 7,000 languages spoken around the world. However, English is the most commonly spoken language among PF members.</p><h2>3. Why is it important to know the native languages of PF members?</h2><p>Knowing the native languages of PF members allows for better communication and understanding between members. It also promotes cultural diversity and appreciation within the community.</p><h2>4. Can PF members have more than one native language?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible for PF members to have more than one native language. This can occur if a person is raised in a bilingual or multilingual household, or if they immigrate to a new country and learn a new language.</p><h2>5. Are there any efforts to preserve and promote native languages among PF members?</h2><p>Yes, there are ongoing efforts to preserve and promote native languages among PF members. This includes language education programs, cultural events, and online communities dedicated to preserving and celebrating native languages.</p>

1. What does "Native Language" mean?

Native language refers to the language that a person learns from birth and considers their primary language for communication. It is the language used by a person's family and community.

2. How many native languages do PF members have?

The number of native languages among PF members varies, as there are over 7,000 languages spoken around the world. However, English is the most commonly spoken language among PF members.

3. Why is it important to know the native languages of PF members?

Knowing the native languages of PF members allows for better communication and understanding between members. It also promotes cultural diversity and appreciation within the community.

4. Can PF members have more than one native language?

Yes, it is possible for PF members to have more than one native language. This can occur if a person is raised in a bilingual or multilingual household, or if they immigrate to a new country and learn a new language.

5. Are there any efforts to preserve and promote native languages among PF members?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts to preserve and promote native languages among PF members. This includes language education programs, cultural events, and online communities dedicated to preserving and celebrating native languages.